Art Data Interactive and Doom

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 pm

I think a couple of these posts go a long way to explaining what went wrong.
mmmm.........it does look like a ten day port
I lay here crying :cry: about what might have been - some of Quake's trickery perhaps?
The 3DO version should've rocked
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:49 am

Here is a face to associate with our anger.

Randy Scott, President of Art Data Interactive.
It is a little difficult to hear what he is saying over the Japanese translation so I have transcribed his words to text below.

I was laughing hard at one point. Right around the 30 second mark in my YouTube clip he says "... and six levels of speed." You can see it looks as though even he has a hard time swallowing that load of crap LOL :lol:

Transcription:

"Hi, I'm Randy Scott, President of Art Data Interactive in the United States.
I'm here in Tokyo visiting my new friends at 3DO Magazine.

I'm here to tell you some really great news. That uh, Doom, for 3DO will be released in Japan soon.
It features um, twenty four raging levels, CD quality audio, six screen sizes, and six levels of speed. So it's time to load up the rocket launcher, go down to your retailer and get your, and purchase your ticket straight to hell."

Click on picture for link to YouTube clip.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:38 am

I imagine in those days, the Japanese were anticpiating Doom for the 3DO in the same way the West was antipating Gegege No Kitarō: Fukkokuban on the SNES.

Not much.

The failure of Doom on the 3DO does rest squarely on the shoulder of our man Randy doesn't it? Although, looking at that picture he is already in jail for his crimes. So that's alright ;)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:39 am

Right. I played this again on my 3DO last night and I think the old frame rate bug (in my brain) kicked in, I couldn't see what everyone was complaining about. i did notice some bugs. like the enemies materialising from no where, but people are right, the music is good :)

I even made it to level 4. Which is the furthest I have ever got in Doom. :)

I'm still not impressed. I still think there were better more impressive (technically) games out there at the time. Need For Speed 3DO being one of them. That was released in 1993 too and, as far as I am concerned, showed a greater level of technical competency than Doom.

cybdmn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by cybdmn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:50 am

3DOKid wrote:Although, looking at that picture he is already in jail for his crimes. So that's alright ;)
Actually, he deserves two time in jail, one for what he have done to the 3do fans, and one for what he have done to the doom fans. :mrgreen: