3DO finally arrived. Some questions

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

mosul210
3DO ZERO USER

3DO finally arrived. Some questions

Post by mosul210 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:33 am

Hey folks my 3do player finally arrived and looks great. The system looks great with no visable signs of wear. I also got the light gun, wireless controllers, and about 2 dozen titles.

Question, I notice some of the games seem a little pixelated. For example Crash-n-Burn looks really pixelated. Am I spoiled by today's high power systems like my 360 or could it be an issue of a bad set of video cables? I'm currently using the S-video connection to my 42" Panny Plasma.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 am

you are spoiled. Lot's of games on the 3DO i remembered as smooth and silky turned out to blocky and dreadful. The only way to fix this is to play on 8Bit systems solidily for three weeks prior even turning on a 3do. :)

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:52 am

To get the most out of it you need to play it on a Pana Tau CRT or a Sony Wega CRT in 4:3
Adjust your plasma to 4:3 and 640x480 if you can for best results - note though that a handful of games were actually 16:9! which was pretty amazing for the '90's
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:36 pm

When I play my old skool games on my lcd tv (32 inch vizio) I use my upscaling dvd player with av input, the results?

480p: noise, some pixelation
720p: same
1080i: good, not great, like a sharp crt with a/v cables.

When I used s-video on my lcd I ended up with severe stippling, like every other pixel was out... it looked just plain awful.

My guess is the interlaced resolutions are more prior gen console friendly. I think though the larger your TV the less likely the results will be acceptable.

Mattyg: Good to see some Panasonic Tau love, my 27 inch beast is nice.

mosul210
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mosul210 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:29 pm

bonefish wrote:When I play my old skool games on my lcd tv (32 inch vizio) I use my upscaling dvd player with av input, the results?

480p: noise, some pixelation
720p: same
1080i: good, not great, like a sharp crt with a/v cables.

When I used s-video on my lcd I ended up with severe stippling, like every other pixel was out... it looked just plain awful.

My guess is the interlaced resolutions are more prior gen console friendly. I think though the larger your TV the less likely the results will be acceptable.

Mattyg: Good to see some Panasonic Tau love, my 27 inch beast is nice.
Good feed back. I'm going to try changing the tv settings and also try using the standard composite cables to see if that changes things.

Also like others have said, I'm probably a little spoiled by today's more powerful systems.