Games(tm) Let's get 'em :)

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Games(tm) Let's get 'em :)

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:42 am

Games(TM) a UK games mag a month back told people the best way to play SF2 in the home is on the SNES. Of cause, this is not true.

please (please) email the following: gamestm@imagine-publishing.co.uk

cut&paste and send, send, send.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Games(tm)

Re: the best way to play Street Fighter II in the home since 1994

On page 149 of issue 78 of Games(tm) you suggested that the best way to play Street Fighter 2 in the home was on the SNES. This is of cause poppycock as obviously the 3DO had the version nearest to the arcade and was superior in all ways to the comparatively deficient SNES version.

While we appreciate that the 3DO controller was not the best control mechanism for the game, the Panasonic Arcade Stick or indeed, the Capcom Fighter Pad made the 3DO the definitive (aside form owning the Jamma board and buying a Supergun of cause) way of playing SF2 in the home.

Please publish an apology immediately or feel our wrath.

A concerned member of the 3DO Zone forums.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Re: Games(tm) Let's get 'em :)

Post by bitrate » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:29 am

3DOKid wrote:Games(TM) a UK games mag a month back told people the best way to play SF2 in the home is on the SNES. Of cause, this is not true.

I will definitely message them about their error :)

I do have to ask though, what was the context in which they were claiming the SNES was the best way to play SF2 in the home?

If they were claiming that the SNES version was the closest port to the arcade then they are obviously wrong. However, if they were making the claim that the SNES is the best way to play SF2 at home due to more people owning the SNES, they may have a point.

In other words, were they first filtering out systems that didn't have as high of market penetration before deciding which of the remaining systems had the best port?

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:09 am

Doesn't the SNES version have parallax scrolling backgrounds though, where as the 3DO version (good though it is) doesn't.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:32 am

Quagmire wrote:Doesn't the SNES version have parallax scrolling backgrounds though, where as the 3DO version (good though it is) doesn't.
Maybe it does. But you know what?the Ford Ka comes with sport alloys - doesn't make it better than the Ferrari 355 :wink:

13BEAST
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 13BEAST » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:54 pm

3DOKid wrote:
Quagmire wrote:Doesn't the SNES version have parallax scrolling backgrounds though, where as the 3DO version (good though it is) doesn't.
Maybe it does. But you know what?the Ford Ka comes with sport alloys - doesn't make it better than the Ferrari 355 :wink:
Maybe so, but owning both versions and having played both extensively, Ive got to tell ya, I hate the 3DO pad for fighters. It's ass. Worse than any controller should be. I'm working on building tournament sticks for it, but just stock controller vs stock controller, nothing can beat the SNES. The Capcom Fighter pad is available on the 3DO and the SNES, so you can't use that as your justification, and I love my TopFighter and my Championship Stick for my SNES.

Sorry, I love the 3DO, but the Super version (as in most cases) is better.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:32 pm

no it isn't

;)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 am

13BEAST wrote:The Capcom Fighter pad is available on the 3DO and the SNES, so you can't use that as your justification.
Right, so excluding the controller as a point, since they both have the Cap Fighter, the 3DO version is better. 8)
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:48 am

3DO Experience wrote:
13BEAST wrote:The Capcom Fighter pad is available on the 3DO and the SNES, so you can't use that as your justification.
Right, so excluding the controller as a point, since they both have the Cap Fighter, the 3DO version is better. 8)
Seems so.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Right so here are the links. The SNES version looks bobbins
The 3DO version looks almost arcade and the arcade version looks arcade (Amazing eh?)

With the same pad, the 3DO version is challenging the arcade version and the SNES version is a traditional arcade conversion and not even close.

It simply does not look as good. Fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qAPbXNq0dc SNES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQclMTxYbU 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZETvSl9Sxg0 arcade

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:00 am

email to game(tm) sent!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:27 am

mattyg wrote:email to game(tm) sent!
Thank you.

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:40 am

Are you aware that you compare SF2 on SNES with SF2 Turbo on 3DO and Arcade? :roll:

The best version of SF2 is the X68000 one. Fully identical to the Arcade version and perfect playability. But who owns an X68000 anyway?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:25 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:
Are you aware that you compare SF2 on SNES with SF2 Turbo on 3DO and Arcade? :roll:

The best version of SF2 is the X68000 one. Fully identical to the Arcade version and perfect playability. But who owns an X68000 anyway?
I was but I couldn't find a good turbo one. Anyway - you know me I like to rig the votes ;)

Edit in the name of honesty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_e9eOVct6w

Check it out ;)

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:12 pm

WindowsKiller wrote: The best version of SF2 is the X68000 one. Fully identical to the Arcade version and perfect playability.
Heh, I guess that would of been a pretty easy conversion for them?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:36 am

But the X68000 is a computer, I think we are trying to stick to the console realm.

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:55 pm

13BEAST wrote:
3DOKid wrote:
Maybe so, but owning both versions and having played both extensively, Ive got to tell ya, I hate the 3DO pad for fighters. It's ass. Worse than any controller should be. I'm working on building tournament sticks for it, but just stock controller vs stock controller, nothing can beat the SNES. The Capcom Fighter pad is available on the 3DO and the SNES, so you can't use that as your justification, and I love my TopFighter and my Championship Stick for my SNES.

Sorry, I love the 3DO, but the Super version (as in most cases) is better.
What? your logic makes absolutely no sence :lol:

First you say the 3DO version is worse due to the pad and then you follow that by saying that seeing as both the SNES and 3DO version have the same capcom pad that controllers can't be brought up :?

1. 3DO has better graphics
2. 3DO has much better music
3. They both have access to the same pad
Juffo-Wup is the hot light in the darkness

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Well obviously Jesus666. You can prove anything with obvious facts. Doesn't make it true. No wait... ;)

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 am

"1. 3DO has better graphics "

How can you say the 3DO has better graphics when there's no Parallax scrolling.

online debates are great aren't they 8)

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:50 am

Quagmire wrote:

Umm... minor things like higher resolution, more animation, and better color-depth on the 3DO come to mind. :D

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:26 am

Quagmire wrote:"1. 3DO has better graphics "

WAIT! The 3do has no parallax scrolling?! I've never noticed that it was missing until now lol, and I own both the snes and 3do ports! I guess I was too distracted by the full size, well animated sprites on the 3do, while being assaulted by arcade quality audio :D But the mighty goldstar contoller can only do so much in the control department.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:29 am

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:38 am

Yeah the Snes has background parallax, it also has a few more background animations in some instances, but to be honest, shit in parallax is still shit.

Make no mistake with this issue, all magazines that came out at the time universally said that the 3DO version of Street Fighter II was the definitive home version, this lasted until the other 32-bit versions arrived years later.

The only reason people no longer bring up the 3DO port is because they've forgotten about the 3DO :cry:

Except when FMV games are brought up, they'll remember the 3DO then :evil:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:30 pm

jesus 666 wrote:

Yeah the Snes has background parallax, it also has a few more background animations in some instances, but to be honest, shit in parallax is still shit.

Make no mistake with this issue, all magazines that came out at the time universally said that the 3DO version of Street Fighter II was the definitive home version, this lasted until the other 32-bit versions arrived years later.

The only reason people no longer bring up the 3DO port is because they've forgotten about the 3DO :cry:

Except when FMV games are brought up, they'll remember the 3DO then :evil:
Precisely.

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:37 pm

I'm not saying the SNES version is better overall. The 3DO version has the best music and It's the version I'd choose to play. 8)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:30 am

Not to keep this going, but GamePro magazine also favored the SNES build. The paralax was the main reasoning, but there were also gripes about the lack of codes to access previous versions of the characters w/older moves intact. Also, supposedly the 3DO port has flicker in the health bars? :?

I don't agree w/any of this of course, but thought it worth mentioning. Maybe I'll find the article & scan it.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:04 pm

Games tm were up to their old tricks again in the December issue. They did a story on the history of light gun games - leaving out ALL of ALG's efforts - not even a mention of Mad Dog or any other FMV shooter!
CDi and 3DO owners unite!
I am going to post this on the CDi forum as well
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Trev wrote:Not to keep this going, but GamePro magazine also favored the SNES build. The paralax was the main reasoning, but there were also gripes about the lack of codes to access previous versions of the characters w/older moves intact. Also, supposedly the 3DO port has flicker in the health bars? :?

I don't agree w/any of this of course, but thought it worth mentioning. Maybe I'll find the article & scan it.
I don't understand how anyone with any amount of intelligence could rate parallax as being worth more than general resolution, colour depth and much better quality sound put together.

There's no flicker, I've actually got the PAL version on at the moment with a S-Video hook-up, I'd imagine that the PAL version would be more likely to flicker due to the slower update rate but this is not happening here.

Also i'm pretty sure there is actually some parallax in the 3DO, just not much.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:13 pm

get an NTSC machine. Consider this paramount. the difference with SF2T and even more-so with Samurai Shodown on a PAL then on an NTSC machine will smack you in the gob. honestly.

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:49 pm

3DOKid wrote:get an NTSC machine. Consider this paramount. the difference with SF2T and even more-so with Samurai Shodown on a PAL then on an NTSC machine will smack you in the gob. honestly.
I know what you mean mate (I have a modded Mega Drive and SNES) I've thought about it quite a bit but I can't afford to be mucking about with importing consoles at the moment, I bet the speed difference really helps Alone in the Dark and Need for Speed too.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:28 pm

For our NTSC friends, a comparison. The first image is Super Street Fighter II X on the NTSC machine, and the second is on a PAL machine. The images have been edited to highlight the differences.

Then let's talk about slow down. I've said before, I'll say it again, Samurai Shodown on a PAL machine is practically unplayable.