Really? This is why I hate this generation of gaming

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Really? This is why I hate this generation of gaming

Post by awbacon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:01 am

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/970/970396p1.html

I spent $60 on RE5, and now I find out that they sell an unlock for content on the disc I already purchased, for $5 more.

So no new content was created. Capcom just decides to charge $5 to LET ME use something they already included on the disc they sold me for full retail price?

I'd be lying if I said I didnt feel completely ripped off here.

Another solid reason why the older generations were better...I paid once, and got the entire game!

Whats next....$5 downloads for the last level of a game? Get you sucked in then charge you for the last little bit of story?

Or maybe a PS4 where you have to pay extra to use a 2nd controller

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:21 am

They did the same thing for Beautiful Katamari. The "DLC" was actually on the disc.

This is why I don't pay for Xbox live, pay to download things, and feel sorry for anyone simple enough to do so.

They recently released a new map back for GOW2. I lol'd. As a matter of fact I lol'd hard. Real hard. Because these people already pay a monthly fee to play that game online, and now they have to pay $5 for 4 shitty maps... and they will because they're mainstream console tards.

It's even funnier for MMORGPs. $10 monthly MMORPGer fee + Xbox live gold fee.

Songs cost like a buck. Pictures cost like 50 cents. A picture for chrissake! Changing your retarded dashboard around is like $3. What's the point of this? Microsoft is one of the richest corporations in the world! There is no need for any of this! All of that bullshit should be free including Xbox Live Gold. If they want to make money, then just replace these retarded fees with ads.

I don't like ads and I haven't seen an ad on my PC for years thanks to Firefox and Peerguardian. With one exception... which is Battlefield 2142. EA decided to whore themselves out and make more money on that game by having billboards in the maps with corporations being able to advertise on those blank billboards.

It's retarded, I hate it, and it's unnecessary BECAUSE EA DOESN'T EVEN HOST THE GODDAMN SERVERS! People pay EA Partners $60 a month to host a server. People can't even host their own servers.

At least I don't have to pay a monthly fee for the damn game.

Anyway, that's what Microsoft should do if they're so hard up for cash. Have a couple of ads here and there on the Xbox dashboard.

I never buy a virtual item... well only once... Red Orchestra for Steam but I actually bought the game complete on eBay for $7.

My reasoning is, is the sole fact that this content will go down eventually. People who were simple enough to buy all the stupid maps on the original Xbox have to PAY AGAIN to get the same shit they already paid for back then... that is if the game is even compatible on the 360.

So if your 360 hard drive breaks or something a few years down the line when Xbox 360 live service is de-activated because they released a new console that uses new live service, you won't get your content back. If you want to get those 3 extra levels for Sonic The Hedgehog '06, you're gonna have to pay $5 again.

And please... $10 for a rom? I can just Google it and get it for free and run it in less than 5 minutes. The whole principle of the thing disgusts me.

Fuck Microsoft and Sony. I hope all their factories burn down and their bosses houses burn down. Greedy corporate pigheads. As if they don't make enough money already.

People should take a lesson from the French with the recent SONY executive bossnapping. Unfortunately they let him live.

I'm sorry if this is offensive or anything, this is just a subject matter that really aggravates me. Take what I said with a grain of salt.

A nice G rated version:
Paying for online virtual fake things is stupid because the servers and service will go down eventually. So if you lose it, you can never get it back.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:27 am

hahaha...a bit angrier than I am!

I have no problem w/ dlc (although I dont buy it) but I do have an issue when content on a disc is locked out for me to pay for later.

Feels like Capcom is stealing from me.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:09 am

WOA! Unholy.... and I thought I had rants. Settle down, just breath, everything is going to be ok.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:47 am

awbacon wrote:hahaha...a bit angrier than I am!

I have no problem w/ dlc (although I dont buy it) but I do have an issue when content on a disc is locked out for me to pay for later.

Feels like Capcom is stealing from me.
They still call that DLC though!!! Hypocrites!

And it's not going to be okay. This is the future of gaming.

:(

Steam started it by having PC gamers pay full price for just an ISO with no box, artwork, or manual. I love the old PC game big boxes. Those things are gorgeous. Now we have this.

I can't even begin to imagine how much lower the next generation of console gaming will sink to just to make an extra buck.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:20 pm

I just heard that the Street Fighter IV DLC was also on the disc.

This got me to thinking that perhaps all the DLC that is available within a week of a title launch is available on the disc. The only time it is developed and comes as a download afterwards is if it's a multiplayer map pack or something.

I highly doubt SEGA went to develop 3 VERY HARD special levels for Sonic The Hedgehog '06 after the game getting universally panned.

And now just to throw more wood into the fire.

:(

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena came out on PC yesterday. It was announced to have the very so "popular" 3 installation limit. This limit is unlike any other because it's non revocable. Just like all other games with this pitiful rent-only attitude (Spore, Mass Effect, Crysis Warhead, Red Alert 3), people are already taking notice and doing the usual... giving 1 star reviews on Amazon. So far only 10 but they'll pick up steam.

Now, I think I am able to predict what the next generation of gaming will be like.

Every single game and console will have their own ID code. When you buy a game you HAVE TO connect your console to the internet to verify it and attach it to your console ID. You will only be able to play the game on your console and each time you want to play the console must be connected to the internet to verify the IDs. Just like the PC DRM limit, this prevents people borrowing games or even reselling them. And if your console breaks... too bad! You'll have to buy the same game again.
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:01 pm

It makes me spew as well. It's just a big scam.

Firstly, it is so they can screw all gamers. Buy it new, buy it second hand, find it in the bin - they can screw you. I refuse to buy DLC. I wouldn't mind so much if what I was getting was worth what they are charging me but it simply is not.

Game costs £30 - £40 here in the UK. So once distribution and retail and the taxman have had their wedge, I guess £20 goes back to the developers and the publishers. poor old them eh? Evil second-hand game buyers screwing the industry - well they sorted them out. They get to charge £5, £10, £15 for a few maps, an extra car and a background. Why the sodding hell should anyone pay £60 to play the whole sodding game?

It's pathetic.

Ace Combat 6 is charging people for aircraft that came free with Ace Combat 1,2,3,4,5 and X but now it's xxx microsoft points. Which, much like Wii points is a f**King epic scam. What's a microsoft point or Wii point worth? Who knows? Who controls the currency? MS and Nintendo. What's this currency worth? What's wrong with money MS? Nintendo? Why - oh - why did they go to so much effort to invent a voucher system? For the good of man kind? No - so they can screw us at will.

I remember when stuff was unlocked because you beat the game or typed in a cheat - now you have to cross their palm with silver.

In the future, 15 years from now, these games won't exist. You won't be able to play them - they will be lost to history. Fortunately. because most of them are pale imitations of the great games they are based on.

All the whole DLC thing is a way of increasing the bottomline profits while keeping the retail prices the same (good for PR) .

I only ever bought one DLC, it was the extra tunes for Ridge racer 7 (which I loved) but then the Japanese got about a million extra tunes and I can't re-download mine. It's a scam.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:44 pm

im so glad i have never had to deal with anything i read in this thread

and i would refuse to connect any HOME videogame console to the internet, for one my computer is already hooked up to it and i download enough on my computer so why would i want to do the exact same thing on a videogame system

i would want a system thats independent and has nothing to do with the internet
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Only game I have downloaded was SF2 HD for ps3, since it doesnt have an actual disc to purchase.

I hate 'files' so much, I spend an extra $30 importing Siren : New Translation for PS3 direct from Play-Asia , just so I knew I 'owned' something , not paid $40 for a ton of episode downloads.

On a side note, PS3 is multitudes better than 360. My PS3 dies 20 days after purchase, brought it back, exchanged, came home...was able to download SF 2 HD all over again, no questions asked, just by logging in to PSN

but generally speaking, if I cant get a physical copy, I dont want to pay for it

Jugger
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jugger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:57 pm

And they wonder why piracy is out of control.

I dont own any new systems. The newest one I have is the original X-Box, which has a DvD player, but made me pay $30 so I could play DvDs on it.

To hell with this new garbage. I'l stick to my 3DO for consoling, and PC for new games.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:45 pm

UnholyTancred wrote:Steam started it by having PC gamers pay full price for just an ISO with no box, artwork, or manual. I love the old PC game big boxes. Those things are gorgeous. Now we have this.
I find Steam and especially valve developed ware to be the one redeeming example of how games in the future should be. They provide all the necessary updates for free and automatically so when you go on-line your not lacking file X so you can't play against joe bloggs. It's been nothing but milk and cookies with Steam! Even bought a few retail boxed games because they were really cheap and married them to Steam with the product key then chuck the DVD out the window and let Steam download the latest version, it's brilliant! :D

I agree with the Capcom issue however, simple answer, don't buy it. Then again we know the kids fall over themselves for this stuff and beg the parents to foot the bill! On the other side however is the DLC for Grand Theft Auto with The Lost and Damned. Although really this is what we used to call an 'expansion pack' in old terminology! Since it's piped down the wire the new 'ology seems to be DLC :roll:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Does this expansion DLC for GTA IV make it better? The original wasn;t all that great IMHO.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:56 pm

It's more of the same really. If you dont like GTA4 you wont like the DLC. I happen to like GTA4 though. :) It wasn't as good as San Andreas though.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:20 pm

I enjoyed GTA3 (and GTA1 and GTA2) My gripe with the latest one was all comedy was gone and it was too grubby. A life of crime is supposed to be, I know, but I sort of wanted more Miami Vice (fast cars, bimbos, etc) less irritating cousings and ugliness basically.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:34 pm

I do not like the idea behind DLC. I did like what 3DO did w/expansion discs though for Shockwave & Return Fire. Full packaging, cheaper price, & a good amount of bang for your buck! If you were to download a game like Maps of death today, can you imagine how much it would cost? Another area that I feel 3DO was early on.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Devin wrote:
UnholyTancred wrote:Steam started it by having PC gamers pay full price for just an ISO with no box, artwork, or manual. I love the old PC game big boxes. Those things are gorgeous. Now we have this.
I find Steam and especially valve developed ware to be the one redeeming example of how games in the future should be. They provide all the necessary updates for free and automatically so when you go on-line your not lacking file X so you can't play against joe bloggs. It's been nothing but milk and cookies with Steam! Even bought a few retail boxed games because they were really cheap and married them to Steam with the product key then chuck the DVD out the window and let Steam download the latest version, it's brilliant! :D
Imagine Valve goes bankrupt. What happens then? Sure some of you might be thinking "Valve going bankrupt how could that happen"? Well it happened to Midway, so it could happen to anyone.

Steam is the same as the limited DRM installations.

If Valve ever decides to drop the service or it goes bankrupt, then that's it. All your games are gone. Every single one. You NEED to be on an internet connection to play your games. So if you decided to buy F.E.A.R. 2 and they go bankrupt, sux 2 b u. Patches don't come out that often and are usually easy to find on the publishers website hosted with almost always high speed access.

Steam would be good if the following were true:
1. The ISO that they're selling would be cheaper than a full price game because obviously the manual and the box aren't included. Either lower the price on games or sell games at full price and mail the box and manual to you.
2. Not having an internet connection as a requirement to play the game.
3. Giving customers the ability to detach the Steam game from their account, which will allow you to sell the game.
4. Only install Steam if you want to play your games multiplayer.

If Steam was just an online gaming service that coincidentally also sold ISOs and the above 4 statements were true, then it'd be perfect. I'd have no complaints with it.
3DOKid wrote:I enjoyed GTA3 (and GTA1 and GTA2) My gripe with the latest one was all comedy was gone and it was too grubby. A life of crime is supposed to be, I know, but I sort of wanted more Miami Vice (fast cars, bimbos, etc) less irritating cousings and ugliness basically.
I loved the first 2 more than all the others. I was blown away when GTA3 came out but that game ended up killing the series for me. Vice City was exactly the same as it and I couldn't play it for more than 20 minutes. I never got into it no matter how many times I've tried. I loved San Andreas at first because it felt like I was playing Boyz N The Hood and Menace 2 Society, two movies that I love, but once I got out of the hood it felt like GTA3 all over again. Big, bad, and boring.
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:06 pm

Good point about Steam. Who died and made the games industry special? The music industry, the DVD industry, the car industry and the electric kettle industry can survive despite their being a second hand market so why can't the games industry? In fact, the whole industry seems hell-bent on making sure you can't buy-and-sell second hand. This will be their downfall - mark my words.

It's just greed, pure and simple. I hope they all crash and burn.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 am

The only PC company that has actually done it right is Stardock. I have respect for these guys and everyone should follow their gaming bill of rights:

1. Gamers shall have the right to return games that are incompatible or do not function at a reasonable level of performance for a full refund within a reasonable amount of time.
2. Gamers shall have the right that games they purchase shall function as designed without defects that would materially affect the player experience.
3. Gamers shall have the right that games will receive updates that address minor defects as well as improves gameplay based on player feed back within reason.
4. Gamers shall have the right to have their games not require a third-party download manager installed in order for the game to function.
5. Gamers shall have the right to have their games perform adequately if their hardware meets the posted recommended requirements.
6. Gamers shall have the right not to have any of their games install hidden drivers.
7. Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest version of the games they purchase.
8. Gamers whose computers meet the posted minimum requirements shall have the right to use their games without being materially inconvenienced due to copy protection or digital rights management.
9. Gamers shall have the right to play single player games without having to have an Internet connection.
10. Gamers shall have the right to sell or transfer the ownership of a physical copy of a game they own to another person.

Sins of a Solar Empire came out last year with absolutely no DRM. The only copy protection was a CD key which was only necessary to play it online. It was an amazing game and sold very well especially for an under the radar title.
-Vladimir Lenin

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:46 pm

All valid points UT.

My own personal use of Steam tends to be for Valve games and the indie titles. The indie titles don't require an internet connection, they play offline. Games like Defcon, Audiosurf, Darwinia and World of Goo, I picked them all up in a Steam sale where they were sold for peanuts and provide great gameplay for the money. I'd never buy games like Unreal Tournament or even the recently released Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor, it's simply too expensive and is cheaper to source through retail.

Then again even these full retail games come under a Steam sale and some point. Recently Left 4 Dead was sold over a weekend for just £13.99 which is a really excellent price. Valve might go bankrupt, a meteor might explode in front of my car incinerating me in seconds, but at the moment I'm getting good value for money and nothing lasts forever anyway! I have an original copy of Bioforge and I'm fucked if I can get the thing to play on my modern PC! Maybe the same will be true of Half-Life 2 in a few years time, however Steam is a platform in its own right so there's a chance compatibility issues can be smoothed over to continue the revenue stream from such older games.