Console/PC/Emu from the DOOM Review

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

NeilK
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeilK » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:46 pm

I never liked Doom. I remember the PC version. Maybe it's because, I loved the Commodore Amiga and the Atari ST and HATED, really HATED, the PC. It ran under Windows '95,
I had an Amiga 500+, CD32 then when releases slowed up i bought a saturn and ps1 then a PC in mid 1996 and i have to say its my favourite machine, there were some great titles being released on PC in the mid 90`s and the WWW was really taking off and the best way to access that was via a PC, have fond memories of going online on compuserve and AOL talking to people online which was very new to me back then using instant messages and of course playing great dos/windows 95 games like Wing Commander 4, Gabriel Knight 2, Privateer 2, Spycraft and Under A Killing Moon, i think you missed out 3do kid they were all titles i would of loved to see on 3DO and i'm sure it could of handled them all pretty good.

I didn't actually buy a 3DO until a few years back, at the time they were released they were too expensive and then the saturn/ps1 came out, always had a fond spot for them though as i bought some official 3DO magazines around 1995, loved that mag i am collecting all issues if i can off ebay, there is something about the 3DO which makes it my favourite console but the PC is my fave game machine of all time, there were really some great dos titles out there.

Recently i have really got into building retro PC`s to play games from different era's especially SVGA dos games which some need a P3 500 to get smooth, also i have fond memories of getting a 3dfx orchid righteous voodoo 1 and adding it to my pentium 150 system with matrox millennium graphics card and being wowed by crisp bi linear filtered graphics with smooth frame rates :)

I love Need for Speed SE on my PC :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:12 pm

You should try the 3DO version of NFS. Really, you should.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:16 pm

NeilK wrote:Recently i have really got into building retro PC`s to play games from different era's especially SVGA dos games which some need a P3 500 to get smooth, also i have fond memories of getting a 3dfx orchid righteous voodoo 1 and adding it to my pentium 150 system with matrox millennium graphics card and being wowed by crisp bi linear filtered graphics with smooth frame rates :)

I love Need for Speed SE on my PC :)
Oh god, I've ALWAYS wanted to do that!!!

Unfortunately my parents would kill me. They think I'm crazy enough already. Don't think I'd find room for one of those anyway, especially with those ginormous ancient CRTs.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:09 pm

It was machine just like that, that put me off PC gaming. The thought of hacking around with Qmem (or whatever it was) again puts me off. Even now. I only wanted Alone in the Dark from the PC stable anyway. Thank god for the 3DO.

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:55 pm

As for all the old PC games.... just download Dosbox and your sorted! I can run pretty much all Dos and early Windows (3.1 + 95) on my current PC gaming rig with no problems 8)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:14 pm

I do use DosBOX but it's emulation. And emulation is like masturbation. It's pretty good but nowhere near as good as sex.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Yes emulation does generally suck compared to using the "real" hardware but sometimes it can be better running games via an emulator than running them on the actual hardware itself! Things like fully customisable graphics/sound filters and controls etc. get a big +1 from me compared to original hardware.
If you want 100% compatibility then you have no choice but to use the original system the games were intended for 8)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:02 am

Yeah take bleem for example. Much better looking than the console.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:32 pm

omg you said bleem. I could of died without hearing that word again. That brings back memories. All the controversies behind bleem were a great source of laughs.

That emu was pretty shoddy compared to ePSXe if you are going for emulators that enhance though.

I also remember the first time I ran Einhander on PSEmuPro on my Celeron 333 Mhz crap box and was wowed. I was looking at playstation on my computer! Good times.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:43 pm

Well I'm just using it as an example. I don't use PSX emulators as most of the games that came out on the system worth playing were on PC. I got bleem for the handful of games that I couldn't get for anything else. I do own 2 PSXs so don't think I'm not giving SONY any money for their hard work. But anyone who's seen enough of my posts knows how I feel about the PlayStation line, hope this doesn't upset you RJ.

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:07 pm

I can't really say much about the playstation line either... My Fiancee has got her PS3 back from being repaired for the second time and still Sony will not say what was wrong with it? They know and don't want to let it out!!

I actually like quite a few of the games but it annoys me as they build their hardware to live for only a certain amount of time.. i have had a few PS1's and PS2's because of malfunctions etc.... and i have also had an xbox 360 repaired once and since then i bought their new "Jasper" 360... but i do not have high hopes for it lasting too long.

They don't make consoles like they used to! I have consoles that range from around 15-20+ years and they are still going strong! Do not expect that from the current generation.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 pm

PowerPie5000 wrote:They don't make consoles like they used to!
Honestly, they dont make anything like they used to. Everything is built to the cheapest while still just being sturdy enough to last the measly warranty offered.