Is Po'ed any good?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Is Po'ed any good?

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:44 pm

I never picked up this game while 3DO was commercialy alive. I thought the demo on 3DO disc #3 was poor, and the one on disc #4 wasn't much better. Finally though, I picked it up to add to my increasing collection. After re-reading the glowing review from 3DO magazine (5 stars .. best game ever played, etc...) I couldn't wait to try it out. Well ... I'm not liking it. :?

So my question ... how much time needs to be spent with this title before it starts getting good? I can see the potential (kinda remins me of a very primitive version of Metroid Prime actually) but I'm not sure the 3DO console was capable of handling a game of this ambition. What do others think? Was this title overrated, or is it really one of the best 3DO games ever?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Is Po'ed any good?

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:48 pm

Trev wrote:I never picked up this game while 3DO was commercialy alive. I thought the demo on 3DO disc #3 was poor, and the one on disc #4 wasn't much better. Finally though, I picked it up to add to my increasing collection. After re-reading the glowing review from 3DO magazine (5 stars .. best game ever played, etc...) I couldn't wait to try it out. Well ... I'm not liking it. :?

So my question ... how much time needs to be spent with this title before it starts getting good? I can see the potential (kinda remins me of a very primitive version of Metroid Prime actually) but I'm not sure the 3DO console was capable of handling a game of this ambition. What do others think? Was this title overrated, or is it really one of the best 3DO games ever?
FPS? Good? Time? Quite a bit methinks. About 9 years (until Halo or Black are released?)

:)

Hitting farting legs with a frying pan while wearing a jet-pack does have its place though - I'll openly admit that!

fish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by fish » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:28 pm

I think it is a great game. Very hard though!!! I can complete Wolfenstein on 'Bring it on' level, but even on level 2 difficulty I am nowhere near on this. I think the game is ambitious and pushed the 3DO to or even beyond its limit, a bit like Killing Time. The graphics are good, but the colours are a little drab at times, plus walls look a little odd up close.

I think this is a game that you can get into if you give it time, but don't play it on a high difficulty or it will make you through the cd out of the window!!!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:33 pm

Man, I love this game! The point here though is that to really enjoy the game, I think that you missed the train. The game just wouldn't be as impressive as it was when it released. I personally had it when it first came out and still get a blast out of the game. Not the "Best Game Ever" on the 3DO, but still a fun distraction. Killing Time squashes it though for sure!
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:30 am

i love this game considering that i dont care for first person shooters

when i first heard the frying pan hitting something in the head i started laughing
the only part that got me frustrated was the movement of my guy, its more of a struggle then free flowing movement

i never got that far into it as other games took my attention away from it
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:54 am

PO'ed is fun in doses, but you need to take breaks in the gameplay sometimes.

The steerable rocket is quite fun, as are many of it's little nuances and cheap humor. But like any good fart joke, it gets old the more you deal with it.

Also, I must say, one of the shortest, most disappointing endings of any 3DO title I've played. Not to spoil it for you, but keep in mind you're playing the marine's cook... :)

Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:33 pm

Hmmm ... guess I'll give it a little more time before passing judgement. Very different form other 1st person games to be sure ... I seem to have a harder time finding my way around (bad sense o' direction I guess :( )

:?: Question .... how far into the game before you find the rocket pack?

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:17 pm

Would love to tell you, but it has been damn long since I played it. I am pretty sure that you find it around the fourth level though, I think.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 pm

I am pretty sure that you find it around the fourth level though, I think.
I hope so! I'm on the 3rd level right now, and having a heck of a time finding my way out ...

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Trev wrote:
I am pretty sure that you find it around the fourth level though, I think.
I hope so! I'm on the 3rd level right now, and having a heck of a time finding my way out ...
What did you think of Po'ed, Trev? It is personally one of my favourite 3DO games of all time! It is right up there with Killing Time and Escape From Monster Manor in regards to playability, although it is a totally different type of FPS to both of them! I have played through Po'ed quite a few times.

I don't know if you have encountered it yourself, but there are random occurrences when you are transported to bonus levels that are not part of the normal level structure.

I remember seeing a review of Po'ed on the PSOne (I believe it was in the Official PlayStation Magazine UK) and it was describing the graphics of the PSOne version as being coloured with crayons by a child in comparison to the 3DO version, as the textures in the PSOne version look rather see-through at times!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:12 am

I was rather intrigued by the discussion of this game on ewhac's Monster Manor Let's Play, and have been thinking about getting it. The occult theme of Monster Manor and Killing Time just doesn't appeal to me.

That said, I'm not very good at first person shooters, so if PO'ed really is that frustratingly hard, maybe I should just stick with the Iron Angel games...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:54 am

I like that the game doesn't take itself seriously ... it has fun enemies and such. I also appreciate the more adventurous aspects ... it doesn't feel like a straight action fps. Having said that, it's been a long time (too long actually) since I played this last. Maybe I'll check it out later this week.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:09 am

I could never get into PO'ed. Maybe if the framerate was more consistent I would have enjoyed it more, but once I got into some really large rooms, I had to put the controller down. The game slows down to a crawl and it makes it really tough to play (while still actually enjoying it). Meh. Did they ever release this one for the PC?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:38 am

Here comes Austin with more framerate complaints. :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:48 am

Indeed. Every game with terrible framerates must burn in hell!! :evil:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm

A solid frame rate is fundamentally important to be able to enjoy a game.. And to answer the initial question: I dont think Po'ed is any good. Not one bit.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:36 pm

grimm wrote:A solid frame rate is fundamentally important to be able to enjoy a game.. And to answer the initial question: I dont think Po'ed is any good. Not one bit.
Why don't you think the game is any good?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:55 am

First off im not a fan of FPS-shooters, even the old school ones. Secondly it has poor enemy design. Thirdly it has frame rate issues. I think most FPS games are poor, this is just more so than the modern crap like the CoD-series.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:48 pm

I see. I haven't played enough of Po'ed to have a solid opinion yet. I'm not the biggest fps fan, even though I think 3DO has a number of very good games in this genre.

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Austin wrote:I could never get into PO'ed. Maybe if the framerate was more consistent I would have enjoyed it more, but once I got into some really large rooms, I had to put the controller down. The game slows down to a crawl and it makes it really tough to play (while still actually enjoying it). Meh. Did they ever release this one for the PC?
I am sure from what I recall there was an option to turn off some of the graphical details to improve the speed of the game. I could be mistaken, but I think it was Po'ed that had this option. Check it out and let me know if I am correct.

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:47 pm

grimm wrote:First off im not a fan of FPS-shooters, even the old school ones. Secondly it has poor enemy design. Thirdly it has frame rate issues. I think most FPS games are poor, this is just more so than the modern crap like the CoD-series.
In my opinion, Po'ed is one of the 3DO's best games, which says a lot about the quality of the game. As you are not an FPS fan; you may not be the best person to commen on the quality of an FPS game. I don't believe it has poor enemy design, as when you have an enemy that can double when shot by the incorrect weapon, I would say that is actually quite imaginative and quite ambitious, as they can duplicate endlessly, which pushes the 3DO's capabilities when they have duplicated extensively.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:54 pm

I also like the sense of openness in Po'ed ... it reminds me of Immercenary in that way. The large sprawling areas, in lieu of mostly tight hallways and such, really make it feel different from other fps.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 pm

NOSAJ19 wrote:
Austin wrote:I could never get into PO'ed. Maybe if the framerate was more consistent I would have enjoyed it more, but once I got into some really large rooms, I had to put the controller down. The game slows down to a crawl and it makes it really tough to play (while still actually enjoying it). Meh. Did they ever release this one for the PC?
I am sure from what I recall there was an option to turn off some of the graphical details to improve the speed of the game. I could be mistaken, but I think it was Po'ed that had this option. Check it out and let me know if I am correct.
It would have been nice if there was an option like that, but I don't think there was. Other games did (sort of), like Cyberdillo and DOOM, but not PO'ed if I recall correctly.

Even when the framerate was tolerable (i.e., playing the PlayStation version ;)), I found the rest of the game to be bland. I didn't care for the enemy design either, and the weapon selection--what little I had access to--didn't feel very good to use. The frying pan was a funny concept at first, but the game makes you run around with it too much early on in the game. Also, if I recall correctly, isn't there no music in-game? What the hell? Talk about sucking the complete life out of a game, ugh.

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Austin wrote:
NOSAJ19 wrote:
It would have been nice if there was an option like that, but I don't think there was. Other games did (sort of), like Cyberdillo and DOOM, but not PO'ed if I recall correctly.

Even when the framerate was tolerable (i.e., playing the PlayStation version ;)), I found the rest of the game to be bland. I didn't care for the enemy design either, and the weapon selection--what little I had access to--didn't feel very good to use. The frying pan was a funny concept at first, but the game makes you run around with it too much early on in the game. Also, if I recall correctly, isn't there no music in-game? What the hell? Talk about sucking the complete life out of a game, ugh.
You are correct about the music, but there is also a certain atmosphere to not having the music on and to go from silence to hearing an enemy or even the sound effect that you can hear from the location of a nearby weapon. There are a good selection of weapons that expand as you progress through the game. Have you played the full game, as I believe that you can only assess Po'ed once you have completed it, as the variety of locations within the levels, the enemies that you experience as you progress and the variety of the weapons from start to finish is very well paced. It is a pro, rather than a con in my opinion, as it does not give you everything at once; you have to earn it through making the effort to progress through the levels. As for the frame rate, we aren't talking about the PS2 or PS3 here and that is why you have to assess the games based upon that console and forget about what has came from consoles beyond that generation. That is my opinion at least anyway.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Trev wrote:I also like the sense of openness in Po'ed ... it reminds me of Immercenary in that way. The large sprawling areas, in lieu of mostly tight hallways and such, really make it feel different from other fps.
Heh, this makes me think of Slayer. That game really stands out from other first person dungeon crawlers in how wide open it is.

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Martin III wrote:
Trev wrote:I also like the sense of openness in Po'ed ... it reminds me of Immercenary in that way. The large sprawling areas, in lieu of mostly tight hallways and such, really make it feel different from other fps.
Heh, this makes me think of Slayer. That game really stands out from other first person dungeon crawlers in how wide open it is.
I bought Slayer for the 3DO a few months ago and I still haven't got around to playing it yet, but it is one of the 3DO games that I am most looking forward to playing, so thanks for reminding me! ;)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:42 pm

As far as music goes, I'd rather have no music than more generic rock that seems to populate so many other 3DO games.

AVP on the Jag also has some framerate issues and no music, but I usually hear "It adds to the atmosphere" I think the same would apply to Po'ed too.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:44 am

Trev wrote:As far as music goes, I'd rather have no music than more generic rock that seems to populate so many other 3DO games.

AVP on the Jag also has some framerate issues and no music, but I usually hear "It adds to the atmosphere" I think the same would apply to Po'ed too.
The difference is that AVP was meant to be scary. PO'ed? Not so much, from what I can tell.

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CRV » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Not impressed by the demo I have. Don't know where I'm going, and these bats keep shooting at me.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 pm

CRV wrote:Not impressed by the demo I have. Don't know where I'm going, and these bats keep shooting at me.
The demos don't do this game much service imo ... the actual game is very much improved and more fun. PaTaank was similar ... the demo was a bit meh, but I love the game.