Post by zenkov » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:30 am

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:28 am

Now i know where they got the design idea for the game "cube" :lol:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:37 am

most of japan look like that. the new bits anyway. (most of Tokyo)

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:26 pm

How'd they get those tetris blocks to line up so perfectly? lol.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:30 pm

I bet it stands up well to volcanoes and earth quakes mind you. Which I bet was the primary concern. Looks like a bunker ;)

in context of the rest of the country it probably fits in well.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Yeah I remember hearing about how everything built over there is built with the highest standards for earthquake resistance. They get quite a few over there if I remember correctly.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:26 am

well nintendo do build things to last!
no doubt that like everything else they do its bland and boring but oddly functional!
I can guarantee you that that monstrocity will be there long after we're pushing up daisies. Just like their consoles !

never seen a Gamecube , NES , SNES or Wii fail yet through normal use
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:11 am

The only Nintendo console that was renowned for failing was the original Nes.... they had a flakey cartridge slot. Apart from that the other Nintendo's so far have been rock solid!

In my experience i find Sega have the most reliable and indestructible consoles ever made! I own a few and have had them for years without a single problem :D

tinman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by tinman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:06 am

In my experience I find Sega have the most reliable and indestructible consoles ever made!
Try telling that to my Dreamcast. 8 years of regularly fixing the "Resetitis" it developed after 2 years of normal operation, to last week when I think it finally gave up. Now I can't even get the "Dreamcast swirl" on the screen.

I also have a Sega Saturn, which from memory was also having issues last time I played it.

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:15 am

Oh yes i completely forgot about that! it is a simple fix that should only need doing once! Just unplug the power board from the motherboard and push the pins towards the back off the console (pins on the motherboard)... this ensures a proper connection and should work fine. I personally never had this problem with any dreamcast but i know a couple of people who have.... It's very odd how it started after 2 years though?? never heard that one before! maybe it got too hot and warped something inside?

As for the Sega Saturn... I am a big fan and have owned many from different regions! and i can honestly say i have never had a single problem whatsoever 8) but not all consoles are perfect! some people may end up with a rotten one or two from each batch :?

As for the reliabilty of cartridge based systems it's got to be either the Megadrive or Neo Geo AES! they are both excellent!!

tinman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by tinman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:02 am

Push the pins to the back you reckon! :shock:

Well up until now I'd pull it all apart, get me some steel wool and clean those prongs/pins that link the power to the motherboard. I had heard/read that the metal created an oxide coating which then required cleaning off. That was working, although annoying to have to do every 3-6 months. :x

The other day however whilst the DC was getting a workout from my missus playing Mr Driller, I heard the disc drive making alot of whirling noises, as though the laser was zipping from one end of its slot to the other. As it was a less than genuine game and I was using a boot disk to load it up I thought maybe that's a consequence-but then she just stopped spinning (the disc, not my wife). I haven't opened it up for a look yet although I feel it maybe something more drastic. :cry:

PowerPie5000
3DO ZERO USER

Post by PowerPie5000 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:42 am

That does not sound too healthy!! Some models of Dreamcast could not read backups or not very well at least... did yours ever make a kind of "squealing" noise?

Yes with the power pins on the motherboard push them in the direction towards the back of the console but try not to completely bend them (this is for the PAL version)

If you have an NTSC dreamcast then i believe you push the pins towards the front direction of the console.... or alternatively you can bend the pins in the plug on the power board using a cocktail stick or something similar so that they "grip" the pins on the motherboard. Click here for for more info on DC fix

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:26 pm

I've had the highest amount of reliability with Sega consoles as well.

The only problems I've ever had on the Dreamcast was after months of heavy gaming the laser has to be re-aligned. Simple fix.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri May 01, 2009 12:57 am

my last two brushes with Sega have been less than stellar - My newly aquired Dreamcast is only reading half the time (if that) and will often cut to the main boot menu mid game
My mega cd only works if you remove the metal mega drive securing plate - although not a biggie I am concerned about the Mega Drive dangling from its connection and snapping if bumped
So I am not a huge fan of their workmanship (but am of their games!)
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri May 01, 2009 2:29 am

The few early SEGA systems I've had seem to be poor builds, 2 Genesis systems dead. I have one in my LaserActive that is still running solid since, say 1993 or '94, and my 2 Dreamcasts are running fine since the system's early release and midway. My Saturn is one of the very first ones and is running good except with some 3D games (Tomb Raider, Radiant Silvergun) seem to freeze up if I don't play something else for a bit first.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"