NeoGeo expert wanted

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

NeoGeo expert wanted

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Assuming long load times don't make me cry (they don't, if I'm expecting them) is any other downsides to owning a Neogeo CDz?

Anyone?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Wasn't the CDZ the model w/improved load times? (2x drive vs. the initial 1x)

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:10 am

Trev's right - there is a myth that the z model also has more ram to improve the load times - but this is wrong. It is just the cd speed.
If you can live with long loads then the regular Neo cd is fine - I have one and it is by far the cheapest way to enjoy Neo games
If you want to spend though you'll pay nearly double for the z.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

tinman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by tinman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:19 am

In one of the games I've got (or is it all of them, it's been so long since I played the Neo{i don't have the CDZ}), there is a monkey or something eating hot noodles from a bowl with chopsticks during the load up time....it's a really really good suggestion.... to kill some of the time during a load up; to go get something to eat. :shock:

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:22 am

I own both a CD (toploader) and AES console, so lemme give you my insight

The CDZ has some catchy reliable issues. The minor uptick in speed from the standard front or top loader, in my opinion, isnt worth the risk of an overheating CDZ system.

The cd drive in the CDZ is NOT a 2x drive. There was more cache in the system, improving loading times, but to my knowledge the spin rate was identical to both the front and top loading consoles.

My opinion is that there are a ton of games on the cd system where loading times arent bad. All the shmups are completely barable load wise, just a quick beginning of level load and your good.

Puzzle Bobble (my favorite cd game, only available for the cd system) has basically zero load. It loads into rom at the beginning, and the entire game is playable.

FIGHTERS - Be patient Daniel San. Single player fighters are relatively fast to load, but 3-on-3 fighters (KOF) can be extremely frusturating due to the fact the system needs to load a new sprite character in after every victory.

So if you go 3 on 3 to a full 5 round fight, the system will load three seperate times AFTER the first load for the first round.

All in all, the cd system is a much cheaper method to get into the Neo Geo. I paid $22 for King of Fighters 99 on CD, where I paid $150 for KOF 2002 on AES

HUGE PRICE DIFF.

Good luck w/ the search. Check neo-geo.com, as there are a ton more knowledgable members on there than me. Ask Xian-Xi over there. He is basically THE SOURCE for neo info

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:22 am

Awesome. I'm getting one. :)

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:58 pm

I have a CDZ and I say skip it. It's pretty nice for the older/smaller games that have a single load time at the start (or minimal load times throughout) but bigger/more recent games are painful. I absolutely love the controller, though.

I guess it comes down to which games you're interested in. If you're not looking for any of the fighters or games that were never released on CD, then it'll probably suit you well.

But all in all, I think a consolized MVS will give you the best bang for your buck. MVS carts are pretty inexpensive in general and provide the perfect arcade experience (since, well, they're the arcade carts). Someday, I think I'll just get a Neo cabinet, then I'll be set forever. :)

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:19 am

Either way you look at it, owning and collection Neo Geo hardware games is an expensive proposition.

Those are my AES carts. KOF 2002 alone was about $165 if I recall, and KOF 98 was $100. 2002 was new, 98 was used. Fatal Fury Special and Blues Journey were both $30 a piece.

Including my console (modded w/ S-video out and unibios 2.2) , my 'four game' collection cost around $700 total.

CD wise, my console (toploader) boxed w/ two control pads and documentation cost $150, and the following games cost about $150 total

Load times on Puzzle Bobble / Last Hope / Puzzled are a breeze. Initial load, then either beginning of level loads (Last Hope) or no load at all (Puzzle Bobble)

Kof 96/99 loads are a pain in the ass. Its fine if you play 'single player' games, but 3-on-3 becomes a real chore to load. I suggest if you want to play ALOT of fighters, get an AES or MVS

Simple fact is that even w/ an MVS, collecting for the Neo is expensive. I have had my eye on picking up a Garou MOTW cart for awhile, but it averages around $400, so I need to wait till the time is right

Buy hell...buy a Neo Geo console and join the club. Its pretty close to 3DO in my "love it" category

Plus those home carts are pretty damn impressive when you first hold one