Introduce yourself.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:38 pm

haha, hi there, welcome to the forums. Great idea for a name btw.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:17 pm

TripHawkins wrote:Hello, I'm TripHawkins. I just recently purchased another 3DO after having one back in the mid 90's. Thought I'd check out the site.
I almost thought it was the Tripster himself ... but why would he have to "purchase" a 3DO? :lol:

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:30 pm

maybe he liked it so much he bought the company - oh wait ........damn timeline's wrong - or was it? Maybe he's "Back to the Future" to save us all!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

desiv - introduction..

Post by desiv » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Afternoon (here).
Just introducing myself.
I've had my 3DO for several years, getting back into it a bit and found your website.
Also, I just picked up an American LaserGames GameGun at a thrift store yesterday. I haven't even had a chance to try it yet. I (assume) have to unhook my 3DO from the LCD TV and hook it up to my old tube TV. :-)
It's the gun with the passthru for a second player. I only paid a few bucks for it, which really surprised me. I basically just assumed I'd never get one as I'm not paying $50 (USD) or more, even tho I'm not saying it isn't worth it. :-) I'm just that cheap..

Of course, it might not work, but at a few bucks, it's still worth it. :-)

desiv

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Welcome to the forum.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:18 am

Good job on the gun, yes internet prices are dumb on the guns but someone always buy them at those prices. :( Welcome to the forums and be sure to check out lots of the old posts.

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:57 am

Been browsing the old posts. Lots of great information!

The gun seems to work great.

I tried it with Corpse Killer and Demolition Man.

Kind of feel dirty after playing with all the death and bad acting, but that's just Stallone. :-)

I have to decide how much I plan on using the gun tho. Right now, it's hooked up to my 19" tv. It's really missing the 42" LCD.. :-)

Actually, until very recently, the 3DO was one of the newest systems I owned. (Original Gameboy b/w was newer.)

Also have an Odyssey II, 7800 (with CC2), NES, SegaCD, Coleco Adam, TI 99/4a, Apple //e (and a IIc), and a Vic 20.
(I also have a 520ST, but it's not an FM and no monitor, so it's just sitting)

Oh, and my Vectrex....

The Vectrex and the 3DO are my favs tho (Although the Apple // has memories as I had a friend who had one when I was a kid. And I had an O2 when I was a kid myself.). Still, the Vectrex and 3DO are the prizes so far.

We just recently got a Wii (and Wii fit) and I have to admit that it's fun. A very creative system. But I'm not a hardcore gamer (more of a retro gamer) so I don't see the need for the other systems.

Thanx for the site..

desiv

(Oh, I have 2 arcade machines too. A PC based multigamer in a Tempest cab (I bought it converted to Jamma already, I wouldn't have hurt a Tempest!) and a Pole Position II that doesn't work, but will be a multi-game driving system if I ever get around to it. :-)

Elias
3DO ZERO USER

Hi!

Post by Elias » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Greetings to the members of the forum! Hi everyone! :D

My name is Ilya, I come from Russia, Moscow.
I'm quite interested in 3DO games and I have recently installed the FreeDO emulator on my PC. I have played 3DO since about 1995, but in 2002 something happened to the CD-ROM drive of my console and out of the blue it stopped working. To be precise, it began acting as though there were no CD loaded whereas in fact there was.

I like first-person shooters, RPGs, FMV games. The same goes for 3DO. I don't like strategies - probably with the notable exception of the Horde.
Among my favourite games there are: Night Trap, AD&D Slayer, The Horde.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Glad you could join us. Have fun! :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Hi!

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Elias wrote:Greetings to the members of the forum! Hi everyone! :D

My name is Ilya, I come from Russia, Moscow.
I'm quite interested in 3DO games and I have recently installed the FreeDO emulator on my PC. I have played 3DO since about 1995, but in 2002 something happened to the CD-ROM drive of my console and out of the blue it stopped working. To be precise, it began acting as though there were no CD loaded whereas in fact there was.

I like first-person shooters, RPGs, FMV games. The same goes for 3DO. I don't like strategies - probably with the notable exception of the Horde.
Among my favourite games there are: Night Trap, AD&D Slayer, The Horde.
I think there are a couple of Russian guys on here now. Welcome aboard!

An unusual (but quite acceptable) collection of favorites! :D

3DOkid

sparker
3DO ZERO USER

Hello from the U.K.

Post by sparker » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:21 am

Just joined the forum, but have been reading for ages. Had my FZ-10 since 1995 and have built up quite a collection - but nothing to rival some of the guys on here!

Favorite games are NFS and Space Hulk.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 pm

Welcome aboard Sparker

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:44 pm

WooHoo! A Space Hulk fan! Welcome to the party!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Greetings. Glad you joined us.

Sauron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Sauron » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:24 am

I think it's about time I properly introduce myself here.

I am a global moderator on the AtariAge website and found my way over here after mattyg posted over there in the Jaguar forum. I'm a long time fan of the Jaguar (and all other things Atari) but have always been interested in the 3DO system. I have never owned a 3DO system but have played on a few in the past. Until finding my way over here I had never really seen any kind of community for the 3DO. Now that I'm here, I'll have to take advantage of it!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:07 am

Sauron wrote:I think it's about time I properly introduce myself here.

I am a global moderator on the AtariAge website and found my way over here after mattyg posted over there in the Jaguar forum. I'm a long time fan of the Jaguar (and all other things Atari) but have always been interested in the 3DO system. I have never owned a 3DO system but have played on a few in the past. Until finding my way over here I had never really seen any kind of community for the 3DO. Now that I'm here, I'll have to take advantage of it!
Thanks for coming aboard. Hope you can pick up a 3DO real soon. In the meantime, looking forward to talking more Jag w/you.

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ILUV3DO » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:38 am

Hello Everybody!

As my handle states, I love the 3DO!

In 1994 when I was 14, my older half brother came down to visit for a day. He decided to bring his 3DO with him. (Primarily to show it off!) We were pretty avid gamers in my house but up to this point were pretty Nintendo-centric in our experience. (Although we were also pretty heavy into point n' click PC adventures by Sierra and Lucas Arts.) So the pinnacle of console gaming I had been exposed to by this point was Super Nintendo with a huge leap in capability by the PC at the time, that my young mind never believed a console would be able to bridge. I remember when my half brother booted the system up for the first time and began playing "Crash N' Burn". My jaw dropped all the way to the floor. My other two brothers stood silently amazed beside me drool pooling at their feet. For me it was love at first sight. What I was seeing just wasn't possible. The game world seemed so... opened up compared to anything I had ever experienced before. The graphics were utterly amazing! Light effects on the vehicles! Varied and creative track design! All of a sudden SuperFX chip stuff seemed amateur. The game moved so fast! I swore as I watched, that graphics would never be able to exceed the beauty our television was blessed with that day. (I was wrong of course... but not completely wrong as it took a few years for anything to hit the market that could compete.) There must be a disparity between how my mind romanticizes the memory and what actually presented itself because when I look at Crash N' Burn now I can easily see the jagged pixels on the vehicle models but I swear I did not notice them then, it was so polished, so sleek so.... beautiful. I knew, right then and there that the 3DO system lay smack dab in the center of my destiny. After my half brother left I was faced with a dilemma. How on earth could I, at 14 get enough money to afford the 3DO? Well the short answer was, I couldn't. So as my friends upgraded to newer and more advanced systems like the Sega CD, I plugged along with RPG's on the Super Nintendo pining for the day when the 3DO would be mine. What made the system even more appealing to me was the quality and breadth of it's library. I was a big fan of adventure games, fantasy games, strategy and space games. I liked games that made me think as I played them and the 3DO had a lot of these. Every month I would pick up the various video game magazines and track the growth of the 3DO's library highlighting games I wanted to pick up when the system was finally in my hands.

I dreamed for 2 years.

At 16, I moved away from home and got a real job. (In that order, lol) I roomed with my best friend for awhile who was also way into video games. One fateful day we stopped by the local Software Etc. Now by this time my friend Scotty had advanced to the recently released Sony Playstation (he was the same guy who had previously owned the Sega CD), while I, being poor, had to suffice, still, with my Super Nintendo. So, we were in there looking for something to take home and play on his PSX when lo and behold, what did my eyes perceive? This particular store had a single 3DO system box (FZ-10) on display waaaaay up at the back of the store by the ceiling. Even though I only had $130 in my pocket from my minimum wage paycheck I thought I would, never the less, ask the clerk how much the system was going for. Maybe I could ask him to put it on hold for me until I could save up enough for it? I know, wishful thinking right? When I asked the clerk, he gave me a surprised look and then smiled. "You know what?" He asked me. "That's actually our last one. Corporate told us to sell them off but I can't seem to move that one. I tell you what, I'll sell it to you for.... $99." Did my ears deceive me? It wasn't possible. I tried to hold back my elation. "Oh and if you take it, I have this really cool binder with a bunch of games and demos in it. Uhm, the 3DO rep gave these to us to show off the system to customers. I'll throw that in for free." Heartbeat getting steadily faster. Was this guy pulling my leg? "And, since it's the last one I'll throw in this new controller and our last twelve games for $15." If the dude hadn't started piling the stuff up on the counter I wouldn't have believed him. I looked at Scotty in disbelief, searching for an affirmation that this was indeed reality. He looked as bewildered as I felt. "So, what do you think?" The clerk asked. I nodded my head and reached for my wallet. That night I left with over 20 3DO games, an extra conroller and, oh yeah.... the system. Scotty and I spent the rest of that day and all of the next trying out all of my new games. For once I wasn't lagging behind with my SNES. I finally had a system I could be proud of. Something special, to call my own. I fell in love with Road Rash, Need for Speed, Escape from Monster Manor, Gex, Kingdom: The Far Reaches (Yes I was so infatuated with the system that I actually enjoyed spending time with that game.), Alone in the Dark, Bust-a-Move, Wing Commander 3, Doom, Myst and Out of This World. Later I would go on a holy quest to find as many games for the system as I could and would become enraptured by Flashback, Lemmings, Alone in the Dark 2, Brain Dead 13, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, D, Dragon Lore, Samurai Showdown, Star Wars: Rebel Assault, Starblade (which I had previously adored in the arcades), Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Super Wing Commander, Syndicate, Theme Park, Shockwave, Twisted, Burning Soldier and Star Control . I loved everything about the system. It's design was sleek and sturdy (FZ-10). I thought the controller head phone jack was amazing and gave it a nuance of high end uniqueness.

The love at first sight held and, 15 years on, I am still enraptured. Later, the 3DO would fall out of favor with gamers and, I won't lie, it would hurt when the system became something more for newer gamers to laugh about than to revere, but my enthusiasm has never waned and I count myself fortunate to have been just the right age in 1994 to fall in love with the system and at just the right time and place to be able to pick it up in the fashion that I did. I feel sorry for all those gamers out there who speak out of inexperience when they put the system down as they will never know the joy of owning such an awesome machine or be able to share the memories you and I can of it's wonderful titles. (Even the less than stellar titles spark fond memories of laughing at their ridiculousness.) Currently I am on a mission to purchase sealed copies of my entire library, obtain a boxed Lucienne's Quest (I was the high bidder in a listing on Ebay this past week until someone beat me out at the last second while I was at work. AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!! It sold for $166), and find a 3DO mouse and memory expansion pack. This love burns eternal and will never die!

3DO Forever!!!!

ILUV3DO

By the way, I'm glad I found you guys. It will be nice to speak with some people who will outclass me in the "knowledge of 3DO" department. I hope to learn a bunch from you all and can't wait to share more memories with you guys. 3DO Kid, thanks for your website blog, I have been checking in and out of it for quite awhile now. Traegorn your Youtube reviews are cool, please keep them coming!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Wow thanks for the descriptive story. It's great to see someone so passionate. Welcome to the forums!

grand_barbare
3DO ZERO USER

Post by grand_barbare » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:03 pm

welcome! things in your history are similar has my experience with the 3DO.... monster manor and road rash are the games which made me begin my 3DO's collection 8)

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:42 am

Great Story! Welcome to the Forums.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:53 am

Talk about an intro ... very excited that you found us! Have fun & welcome!

ILUV3DO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ILUV3DO » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:22 am

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:05 am

A belated thank you to Sauron for visiting us - it might sound a bit of a suck up but his work over at AtariAge and Sector II is very much respected and appreciated.

And a welcome aboard to ILUV3DO - many of us had similar stories and you are amongst like minded friends!

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:36 am

All new members are Welcome.

ILUV3DO it's good to see another 3DO day-releaser on here :)

Sauron welcome aboard mate :)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Re-Introduction. T2KFreeker, the one time runner of the very dead 3DOManiac site, currently unemployed due to the really bad economy in California and lost savings due to family illness. Got laid off mid January of this year. What a way to begin 2009 and it only got worse. Embarrassed as Hell over everything. Still love the 3DO as the system is another gem in the gaming world that is totally underrated. It's been a very long time since I have come here, so I thought I would test the waters and see if I am even wanted back. Please forgive the self conscientiousness, but as far as the 3DO community is concerned, I am all and embarrassed at the crap that went on with me and my site I tried to keep up but could no longer bear to see as it depressed me and then made me want to throw up. I guess before I go into everything, I owe a couple people apologies. The guys that won the contest over at 3DOManiac never got their games they won, firstly there was serious illness in my family, which some of you know about and some don't, either way I would rather not relive it. Then I was set to send them at the first of January, and then what? I got laid off a mfew days after I sent the e-mails that I would be sending them out. Basically, no money means no games and for that I am terribly sorry about this and embarrassed. Trev, I know for sure that you particularly tried to contact me, but again, I didn't know what to say man. Nobody likes to admit how bad things are and try to sound like a damn crybaby. All I can promise is that as soon as I get back on the horse if this Godforsaken state I live in will ever let me, you will not be forgotten and will be taken care of. If I'm not wanted around here, let me know and I would understand. Either way, just in case my input will be appreciated, I just reactivated my deactivated account. Howdy all. :shock:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:11 pm

Welcome back T2K - a few here have a terrible twelve months - I got laid off myself twice (Nov and March) and had to go back to an industry I didn't want to - luckily for me I had someting to fall back on and am enjoying it for now. I am currently awaiting judgement on a court case against one of my former employers which has been an expensive and dirty fight - so you're not alone my friend and once again welcome back!

Now all we have to do is find Gir Draxa and the old gang's back ; )

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:00 pm

T2K you know we love you. 3DOexperience has special ban-request all setup for you :)

Welcome back dude. ;)

3DOKid.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:12 am

3DOKid wrote:3DOexperience has special ban-request all setup for you :)
Yup, that's what you get for trying to advertise your competing 3DO forum on here!

Welcome back T2K!

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:16 am

Oh wow! You guys went all the way out on this inside joke! Even developed a nice pic!

Welcome back dude.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:13 am

Welcome back T2K! Good timing too, as we have a new jag forum that will surely benefit from your expertise. Would you believe I too was laid off for a couple months ... started a great new job a few weeks back thankfully. How is your son doing? Are you retiring the Maniac forum? (I still post there occasionally) Anyway, glad to hear from you finally and of course you are wanted back. (you are one of oldest members afterall) Re-welcome! :)