Fondest Jaguar memories?

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Fondest Jaguar memories?

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:14 am

I was, and this probably no surprise, a big supporter of the 3DO when the Jaguar came out.

and didn't buy one at the time. It was probably around 1999/2000 that I finally got a Jag but I had been longing to see Iron Soldier, which doesn't disappoint.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:09 am

Hmmm ... maybe my buying back the same unit I sold years earlier.

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:20 am

Fondest memory... playing Bubsy for my friend's kids when they were REALLY young, and having them laugh every time Bubsy knocked on the screen when he got bored. :)

Nearly ten years later playing them in a Battlesphere network, and another time a networked game of Doom where one of those kids (now a big older) accidentally shot me (and killed me) when I came running up to help him. (I got that one on a Youtube video.)

Walter_j64bit
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Walter_j64bit » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:34 am

Getting my frist new Jag CIB for $25.00! 8)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:07 am

That's how much I got mine for, but no box. 2 controllers though
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:42 am

Mine was £29.99 boxed and minty fresh from Game in Cambridge (UK)

The CD-Addon was a Christmas present. (but was over £100)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:49 am

I just wish I had grabbed it when they were in the bargain bin after the Jag's death. Both Jag and CD add-on new in boxes shrinkwraped together for $110 US. The games were dirt cheap too. Sighs I really love the box style and all over the overall look of everything they did for the Jaguar.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:54 am

agreed - I paid way too much for mine - main unit I got off Ebay for around 30 quid - as new and boxed (it was in near perfect condition) but spent the next 3 months fighting with the seller over postage - he forgot when listing about the 2kg air postage limit and it damn near cost me another 50 quid - not happy.
My boxed Jag CD came from the states and cost abot $100 US all up - much smoother transaction.

I do have a question though - will an NTSC CD unit work with a PAL console?
I've ordered some CD games to test - should be interesting - and yes I have the correct power supplies fitted
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:01 am

PS some git (I love that word) is dissing us over on the CD-i forum - something about us being unfriendly .

Ha Ha - I Luuuurk Everyyyyyyywhere

He didn't realise these are sister sites!

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:09 am

Calling Moi? Unfriendly? The swine. I've been biting my tongue for days now ;)

Edit: Found him, that's the little Goblin who I figured was a scam artist.

Hot Tip for new members: Don't act like a crook. :wink:
Last edited by 3DOKid on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:39 am

3DO Experience wrote:I just wish I had grabbed it when they were in the bargain bin after the Jag's death. Both Jag and CD add-on new in boxes shrinkwraped together for $110 US. The games were dirt cheap too. Sighs I really love the box style and all over the overall look of everything they did for the Jaguar.
The box art was kinda cool wasn't it? I remember seeing one in the hayday and it was so mysterious, and expensive! I thought it was a joke. Atari in 1993 (when to me Atari died in like 1987.) Hey, no internet, so hard to know Atari was still around, and like I going to pay those high AOL and Compuserve HOURLY rates.) ;)

I was lucky to get a Jaguar in 1999 when I got back into Atari, thankfully due to finding an Atari ST user group that was heaving it's last breath here in the Dallas area. I checked all the headquarters of toy stores, and was directed by the Kaybee toy stores to one place that had THREE Jaguars left. They had a lot of dust on them, and they were $30 a piece. My friend and I bought one each, and the third was bought by someone else... ???

But almost missed getting a Jaguar in the store.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Calling Moi? Unfriendly? The swine. I've been biting my tongue for days now
Think that's bad? You should see some of the Atari sites ... "Power Crazy God Mod" I think it was. :roll:

I'll always defend you 3DOKid! :D

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:19 pm

I musta missed that one ! Thats cool!

Which site Trev?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Trev wrote:
Calling Moi? Unfriendly? The swine. I've been biting my tongue for days now
Think that's bad? You should see some of the Atari sites ... "Power Crazy God Mod" I think it was. :roll:

I'll always defend you 3DOKid! :D
I like the sound of that: Power crazy God Mod. I dunno. If someone accused me of it, would I deny it, or would i revel in it? Sadly (for you lot) revel i'm afraid. (but that's why you love me right?) *hoping*

They're all losers anyway. I mean... Atari? 3DO FTW right? *cough*

Yes... erm... Atari jaguar... erm... yes *cough*

The '3DO' Kid. :wink: :wink:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:34 am

mattyg wrote:I musta missed that one ! Thats cool!

Which site Trev?
Can't quite remember, but I think it was Jaguar Sector II ...

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:04 am

It was....but its okay both myself and Bitrate are there now!

Wow its been hard juggling forums !

At this stage whilst I live here I've been trying to contribute across the boards , AtariAge , CDinteractive , Good Game , Gametraders , and now sector II - I'm such a whore! :wink: :wink:

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:47 pm

It's good to get around. Currently hitting this, Atariage, Jaguar Sector 2, plus on a bunch of Atari and other BBS's out there. (remember those?)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:24 pm

There are still BBS running?

doctorclu
3DO ZERO USER

Post by doctorclu » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Yes there are. My favorite is the Prison Board BBS

telnet://rdfig.net

On that BBS there are a lot of door games, there is the wall at the beginning where you can say hi to the other people on the BBS, and once you get to the main menu you can hit X for internet, and then either A for Atari BBS's or C for Commodore BBS's.

And what else is interesting, there is a Retrochallenge 2009 where people are having fun with retro systems for a month. They have a BBS at:

telnet://bbs.retrochallenge.net

GeneStealer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by GeneStealer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:14 pm

my fondest jaguar memory was when me and a bunch of friends were living in a shared house (we all chipped in for rent ect...) and almost all of them decided to move out without an warning to 3 of us, including me. i took my rent money and went and bought a jaguar, an extra controller, a case of beer, and some pizza. we got drunk, played kasumi ninja, and then the gas got turned off so we went and bought a space heater... and still kept playing kasumi ninja until the electric got turned off and the three of us were forced to move. it may not SOUND fun, but it was.

p.s. i never did learn the damn fatalities.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:18 am

if i had to mention a fond moment, i guess it would be just finding a new Jag in 1997, and buying a used boxed jag for $120 with 20 games

other than that no memories at all
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:32 am

My fondest memory was right after I had just bought it. I think it was June-ish 2001, I was living with a now ex and I had put in an order for an air hockey table at SEARS for the previous x-mas. It had never came in so after half a year I cashed in the money and we went shopping.

I found the Jag for $25, I grabbed some games and instead of going home we went to a friend's place. I hooked it up and played lots of Cannon Fodder.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:30 am

My one and only memory of the Jaguar was playing it at an underage, alcohol free dance/techno hall. They had various consoles set up to play in the lounge area. They always had Tempest 2000 on the Jag. Good times.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 am

My fondest experience is probably when I bought the system. I picked it up when they were marked down to $30 new (I think it was the Summer of '96 or '97). I already owned a Saturn and my brother had a Nintendo 64, but the thing still impressed, even if all I had to play was Cybermorph. The best moments later on had to have been picking up a lot of great cheap games brand-new at the time and intense rounds of Tempest 2000.

UK3DOFAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UK3DOFAN » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:19 am

My fondest memories were not buying one and instead buying some decent consoles like the PS1, Saturn and then later the N64 and Dreamcast.

I didn't buy a 3DO until much later unfortunately but its now my all time favourite console, closely followed by the Saturn and Dreamcast.
3DO 4 Life!