Atari Jaguar Pro Rotary Controller

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Atari Jaguar Pro Rotary Controller

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:36 am

Now THIS is cool. I wouldn't mind having one of these made for me.

"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

KevInCal
3DO ZERO USER

Post by KevInCal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:22 am

Very cool. :)

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:30 pm

That is absolutely hideous! Plus, I don't think there are any games that use both the rotary and the extra features of the pro controller. I got one of the ChaosReins rotaries. Nice and slick:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:56 pm

It's amazing how long ago analogue crept in. I still use the digital pad in defiance when ever possible. Don't like change me :)

I love Tempest2000 as much as the next man. I actually was pretty ambivalent about it, but I put the time in and came up with an addiction :) Are these rotary controllers worth the effort of T2K alone? (i bet they are :) )

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:25 am

Mobius wrote:...I don't think there are any games that use both the rotary and the extra features of the pro controller.
Nice pic but if you follow the link and read it was made so they could use the controller with any game for the Jag. Personally I always thought the round buttons on the pro were ugly but they kinda go with rotary. Hell, I'd take either mod though.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:29 am

Yeah, I saw his reasoning, I guess I just don't agree with it. Give me an elegant second controller over something that looks like it has a tumor! :)
3DOKid wrote:It's amazing how long ago analogue crept in. I still use the digital pad in defiance when ever possible. Don't like change me :)

I love Tempest2000 as much as the next man. I actually was pretty ambivalent about it, but I put the time in and came up with an addiction :) Are these rotary controllers worth the effort of T2K alone? (i bet they are :) )

Well, I absolutely refuse to play T2K without it, anymore. It makes a huge difference. But if that difference is worth $50/60/70 to you, I don't know. I'm a geek for this kind of thing, and I had money to burn at the Midwest Gaming Classic a while back, so I went for it.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 pm

I dunno which I like better. But that price does feel a little high, but I also don't have the game so that might make a difference too.
Do you have a picture of your's dead on?

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:00 am

3DO Experience wrote:I dunno which I like better. But that price does feel a little high, but I also don't have the game so that might make a difference too.
Do you have a picture of your's dead on?
What are you saying, you want a picture of my joystick?? Well... Okay! The one from my previous post was one I grabbed off Google Image Search, but here's mine (apologies for the camera phone pic):

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:21 am

Mobius wrote:What are you saying, you want a picture of my joystick??
MMMMMmmm HHHHmmmm :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ok this looks much better, I think having a separate controller just for one game is prob the better way to go.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:22 am

Mobius had a nice pic ... 1st one is ugly. I'm sure it plays great, but still ...

txg/mnx
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Atari Jaguar Pro Rotary Controller

Post by txg/mnx » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:56 am

3DO Experience wrote:Now THIS is cool. I wouldn't mind having one of these made for me.

WOW the best rotary mod I have seen I was thinking to mod a procontroller myself for my Jagkiosk but was thinking how to in combination with the Pro controller this looks incredible thanx for showing...

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:19 am

txg/mnx wrote:thanx for showing...
Don't sweat it. T'was only 5 1/2 years ago! :lol:

txg/mnx
3DO ZERO USER

Post by txg/mnx » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:04 am

I know but I didn't every searched for it... had others things to do than building me a rotary...

MathUser
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MathUser » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:19 pm

I think it would of been better to put the rotary to the bottom left of the dpad. I think it'd be hard to reach in the middle of the controller.

Gunstar
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Re:

Post by Gunstar » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:39 am

3DOKid wrote:It's amazing how long ago analogue crept in. I still use the digital pad in defiance when ever possible. Don't like change me :)

The best score I ever got on T2K with digital pad is about 500,000 to 600,000. With a rotary I now break a million. The control is much more precise and absolutely no more over-shooting when stopping or reversing.

But there's no need to hack a rare Pro-controller for rotary, all rotary games are simple arcade and none are programmed to take advantage of it. You can change the Web positioning with the extra buttons as most of the keypad is divided in vertical rows for switching web/camera position. But that's it and not worth a pro-controller since most people choose a web view at the beginning and stick with it.

Plus, positioning of the rotary sucks on that pro. On my controller it's to the left of the keypad about an inch below the d-pad and still close enough to the keypad not to get in the way when using the D-pad for menues and bonus levels. I was gong to upload a pic, but it's 840k and only 256k allowed here. I just refurbished my PC and don't have any graphics software installed yet to convert the file. I'll post it later.
Trip WHOkins?!?
World's greatest 3DO Need for Speed racer [even 'X man' says so, digitally immortalized in the game...R.I.P.] http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... ight=speed