I HATE COMPUTERS

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

I HATE COMPUTERS

Post by Devin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:53 pm

I've spent three days formatting and trying to figure out why my ultra 1000MPH PC keeps crashing in games.

Ripped the graphics card out replaced it with an older one and it works fine... reboot, then the fecking sound starts popping... WTH!

Test the speakers they work fine... driver issue... format the drive 'again' to install fresh drivers.

This is the stage I'm at on the third day... I HATE COMPUTERS. Why can't they just.. you know WORK LIKE MY ANCIENT WINDOWS XP MACHINE.

Seems Microsoft have been on a decline ever since!

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:09 pm

My initial thought, without any real information (which is my preferred mode of troubleshooting) would be Power Supply.

However, I don't play a lot of high end games and I don't use Windows (Yes, there is a connection there, I know. )

desiv

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:36 pm

I converted to 100% Linux a few months back. Never looked back. Not even for games.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Computer guys like Linux and I'm not really that guy, so stick with the windows masses.

Also I like my PC games so ya'know!

Anyway, I think it might be the BIOS. I updated it and left the computer for like a month and forgotten all about it. I'll try reverting back to the good old version and see if that helps.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:16 am

Does it crash when you do any other tasks? Does it flat out crash and reboot, or do the games just crash? I wonder if it's overheating.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:07 am

Seems like you're using Vista. Tsk tsk tsk :P

You don't need to format a drive to re-install drivers dude. Just uninstall the old ones and re-install the new ones. A few files are left over that might cause some interference so get a hold of the free program called Driver Sweeper. After uninstalling drivers boot up in safe mode and run it.

I was always interested in Linux but could never figure the damn thing out. I tried Mandriva, Ubuntu, and some XTREME HXC 1337 DVD version of Ubuntu. Didn't know what the fuck was going on. I wouldn't mind taking the time to learn it as long as I could chill out and listen to some tunes while doing it but I couldn't even get my sound card drivers working... or my graphics card drivers. That and a total lack of gaming = no more Linux.

I don't like XP but it has practically perfect compatibility for old games and for modern ones. Once you strip it of the bloatware that Microsoft includes with it and pimp it out with some nice programs like Windows Blinds or TuneUp Style it starts to look pretty. Hell, I even have that useless dock on the top and the sidebar :P

I'll probably stick with Windows XP until DirectX 11 comes out and only if it offers something new unlike DirectX 10. What a joke that was :lol:

I almost never have any trouble with my computer. The only times it ever locks up is due to beta drivers or shittiliy programmed games like America's Army 3.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:49 am

Complete lack of games?

Maybe new games, but there are some great Linux native games.

Neverwinter Nights
America's Army
Prey (That demo is a bit too much for my pc)
Almost everything from Introversion! Darwinia, Uplink, Defcon
Ii've got all my older RPGs running under WINE. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale.

And ther's the emulators. Daphne is incredible. (yes, I'm a fan of LD games.)

It may not run Crysis (actually, I think it can with a good eenough pc), but it's not bad.

Oh, Flat Out through Cedega (WINE) is an awesome racing game.

Unreal.

and of course, xbill!!! :-)

desiv

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Well...

1. I don't use my PC for emulation.
2. I already have the XP versions of those games (at least the ones I'm interested in).
3. What's the point of migrating to a new OS only to use emulating programs to run programs native to another operating system?

I'm a musician. I need XP because I need my Cubase, Native Instruments, and a dozen other VSTs. Granted it may run under WINE... but then look at point 3.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:50 pm

>3. What's the point of migrating to a new OS only to use emulating programs to run programs native to another operating system?

Because you get to use those programs, AND everything the other OS has.

However, I wouldn't rely on WINE for music type apps.
There's a lot of movement on it for Office type apps and for games, but not as much for other type of apps...

Although you're wrong on #1. Every time you run a Java app, your emulating a Java environment. (I consider emulation and virtualization two sides of the same coin)

Even MS is adding emulation to some versions of Windows 7 because they see the need. Sometimes, backwards compatibility doesn't cut it.

I had to use DOSEMU under XP to run some of my older games that didn't work (or didn't work with sound) for me...

Emulation has it's place, and if it works, great. But I agree that you don't use it if it only kind of works for you.

Of course, since part of what I do is administer a whole bunch of ESX servers, emulation/virtualization is pretty comfortable to me..

desiv

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:04 am

I use DOSBox along with the D-Fend frontend for playing old DOS games. Never had a problem. I even configured my USB controller to work with One Must Fall: 2097 :D

I know about Microsoft's plan to include XP virtualization or something like that in Windows 7. It did intrigue me if only for a moment. I'm not well versed in these areas. I know that normal applications will be able to run just fine. I'm wondering if XP games will work under it and older titles.

And don't get me wrong. I think it's fantastic that you guys are using Linux. I commend you. You've done something that I've always wanted to do but never could. I always wanted to pull this off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRsLW0eet0

But like I said I had nonstop problems just trying to install graphics card and sound card drivers.

Also, I think Amarok is the coolest media player ever.

I know for a fact even if I were to emulate Cubase, Native Instruments, etc etc etc somehow get my audio drivers to work, I still wouldn't be able to make music. There is no Linux driver for my USB MIDI controller.
-Vladimir Lenin

jesus 666
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jesus 666 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:05 am

I hate computers too, they constantly f#ck up and seem to totally have a mind of their own. Necessary evil, that's what they are, except for home computers of course.

I never had any of these problems with my Spectrum and C64.
Juffo-Wup is the hot light in the darkness