No surprises left?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

No surprises left?

Post by Devin » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:18 pm

For those that don't know I'm quite heavily into CD-i wares and it still manages to surprise me. My good CD-i cohort Alan recently discovered what appears to be a full version of Gobliiins on some French educational CD-i software!

This was a full retail piece of software and slipped under our scanners until this date. I love how CD-i is still capable of surprising because by its very nature it is an obscure and obsolete format.

Have you made any odd discoveries in the video games arena?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:03 am

it also made a top ten worst game consoles list on msn. lol. sorry, couldn't resist, it is true though. I have never actually played a CDi to be honest.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 am

This was a full retail piece of software and slipped under our scanners until this date. I love how CD-i is still capable of surprising because by its very nature it is an obscure and obsolete format
same thing with 3DO - usually it's one of Bitrate's posts that makes us all go wow though!
it also made a top ten worst game consoles list on msn. lol. sorry, couldn't resist, it is true though. I have never actually played a CDi to be honest.
tut tut! I have around 30 titles and love the whole vcd thing - I sincerely believe that on some movies it is the way they were meant to be shown!
my cd-i has pride of place in my living room .....and some of the games are good! Convinced me that the FZ-1 should've had a remote and FMV built in from the start.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:21 am

BryWI wrote:it also made a top ten worst game consoles list on msn. lol. sorry, couldn't resist, it is true though. I have never actually played a CDi to be honest.
That's part of the interest for me, it's considered to be so bad and has been mostly ignored by the 'Retro Click'. Thus providing a rich fertile ground for digging up nuggets of information about the format from a whole host of games. The Mario games, Zelda and Pac-Man just to mention a few!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Do not mention the retro 'click' to me. The scum. My personal challenge is to open a thread on a CD based console prior to '96 and not get the answer..." Saturn"

As i heard, the saturn makes your nob fall off.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:53 pm

CD-ROM doesn't enjoy much fanfare either yet it can be played on most computers without seeking additional hardware!

I'm surprised how hard it is to sell CD-ROM based articles to magazines, they don't seem at all interested unless it's some pixel junked N64 game or something equally terrible on say... oh I don't know, the PSX?

Yet I'm sitting on a mountain of excellent CD-ROM classics, untainted by journalistic jingo!

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:22 pm

As i heard, the saturn makes your nob fall off.
I don't mind the Saturn and my nob is exactly where it should be!

and yes I have made it my own personal mission to tell anyone who listens what a turbo duo , 3DO , CD32 , CD-i , neo geo and Jag CD are!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:24 am

well, obviously, you're the salt of the earth. And I love you :) I was talking about none forum members. The swines.