3DO Blaster Installation Help

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Devoid
3DO ZERO USER

3DO Blaster Installation Help

Post by Devoid » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm about to begin the process of setting up a 3DO Blaster, however since I lack the manual, I am uncertain over the specific procedure required to get it working. I have researched this topic very thoroughly, but there are still a few issues of concern, and it would be fantastic if anyone could help.

The best instructions are found on the Freedo forums, which are as follows:
1.insert 3do blaster and soundblaster into ISA slots
2.insert Panasonic CD ROM drive into 5" bay
3.connect vga passthrough cable from your video card into 3do blaster
4.connect your display to 3do blaster
5.connect CDROM to sound blaster (or 3do blaster -- described above)
6.attach power supply to CDROM
7.connect sound Y cable to CDROM, 3do blaster and sound blaster.
8.connect 3do controller to 3do blaster
THE END.
I have concerns with step 3. Is it referring to the 26-pin ribbon cable? If so, could any 26 pin ribbon cable be used to connect the 3DO Blaster to the video card, like for example, the one used to connect floppy disks [as I don't own the original]?

I could not resolve this question because of another comment on the Freedo forums which said: "the ribbon cable that comes with the 3do blaster has 26 pin connector(like this [:::::::::::::] MALE) , and at the other end has 26 slot socket(like an ISA slot [=============] FEMALE)"

If I am expected to connect the 3DO Blaster to the Vesa feature pin slot on a Vesa compatible graphics card, how could the original cable have male and female ends? Should it not have two female ends because the Vesa ports on the 3DO Blaster and the graphics card both have 'pop-out' pin slots [:::::::::::::] and therefore require slot socket connectors [=============] to fit into those pins. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Also does ribbon cable have to be connected a specific way? I remember being told that plugging in the ribbon cable incorrectly for a VFX1 VDU card would fry the system! Would this apply here?

Can someone please help. In addition any scans of the manual will also be of great value. Thanks.

Qcombus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Qcombus » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:52 am

You might want to contact bitrate for this info as he is the reference in all things 3DO and he managed to get one 3DO blaster up in the past.

Also you might find what you're looking for in this thread, if not well it still is an interesting read. Cheers and good luck with your project.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:28 am

I sent Devoid a scanned copy of the English 3DO Blaster manual (still need to send him the second half of pages though).

Since it's all scanned, would anyone else have interest in it?

If so, let me know and I'll put it up on a file share.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:16 am

bitrate wrote:Since it's all scanned, would anyone else have interest in it?

If so, let me know and I'll put it up on a file share.
*raises hand* me!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:32 am

Ok, I'll put it up in the next day or so and let you know where to find it.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:17 am

sweet
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"