Resentment towards collectors

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Resentment towards collectors

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:42 pm

I just got involved in a thread where collectors are being called 'tossers'. All it amounted to, was some people don't like collectors because they collect stuff and keep it and no-one else is allowed to see it. The underlying theme was jealousy as far as I could see.

I argued that in some cases, I felt collectors could share they collections, images, video files etc., more but in essence, it's their money they are entitled to do with it as they please.

The thread was however called 'are collectors tossers?'. The poll associated was around 75% of people thinking they were. I want to go back and shove it up their backsides but I'd like to know why people on here 'really' collect stuff - what drives you? I don't believe its possession or 1-man-up, or showing off. I think collectors are important but I can't explain why. I mean if it wasn't for Lemmi - would there be another 3DO clock in the world?

...it's really made me mad.
Last edited by 3DOKid on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:32 am

Funny... 75% of the time I don't care what people think! :wink:

Why's it important? I don't think it is in the grand scheme of things. At the end of all the pointless arguments it's a hobbie plain and simple. For us, well we like to take it one step further and use our collections to enlighten [at least I hope] the internet as to what the 3DO or CD-i is all about. I get a kick out of it and that's the only reason I'm gonna give :D

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:48 am

well im not sure what tossers mean, but i dont collect to 1-up anyone, or to hoard stuff so no one can see them, but from all the websites ive visited over the years ive found that collectors like to show off their collections for others to see (the rooms of doom for example)

some take alot of pride in their collections, which is a form of showing off

when i was collecting, i was buying games that i wanted to play at some point except for the 3DO i bought all things i wanted, or the game or system was hard to find or expensive and i found a deal i couldnt pass up (like my first Sega CDX system for $40, or my Jag/CD unit for $120 with 12 games when i already owned a jag system)
i just havent got around to displaying all my stuff in the house, so they sit in boxes for now, untill i get enough cash to build something that will do it justice and i sell off some stuff that i dont really care about anymore like my O2 systems and my doubles/triples of systems

then there are people who collect just to hoard items and drive up the price of things on ebay, some guys at atariage busted one guy for doing just that (he even admitted that he was buying all things Jag to drive up prices, but then calls himself a collector) after he was blocked from bidding on jaguar items by some sellers he got on a 2nd account and started bidding on them, so long story short he is no longer a member of ebay, and to think it all started because the guy shipped INTV items in a bubble envelope, here is the link if interested
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... pic=102237

but in the end it does sound like those people are jealous, because they cant afford to do what some people can do

EDIT - i would like to add that for some its a competition to see who has the most stuff, and i find that the proto stuff and really rare items are kept a secret some just dont want to be bothered by people bugging them to dump the game so people can play it in an EMU (this references the atari 2600 mostly)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:08 am

Well, to an extent I can see how some people would be jealous of collectors. After all, I'm rather jealous of 3DOKid, and we are both jealous of Lemmi :wink: But I don't know of any collector's who will not even share images of their items :? I find that bizzare.

Bottomline, is like Devin said, this is a hobby. And even if you aren't rich (I'm certaily not) if you look hard enough you can find things to add to your collection. Some people just have a stick up their butt I suppose :roll:

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:01 am

The only thing that bothers me is when someone gets an extremely rare game or proto of an unreleased game, and refuses to dump it and share with the community. Yeah, I understand that it can sometimes take a lot of money or luck to acquire something like that and ripping/dumping it might lower its value, but come on! Is an old game cart doing more by collecting dust on your shelf, or by being distributed so that more people can enjoy it and appreciate the work the developers put into it? I just know there's a demo of Sonic X-treme out there somewhere....

Anyway, I think people like that are few and far between, so it's not too big of a deal.

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:22 am

What I find funny is that the only things that are truly collectible in retro/console markets are deemed so because they are exceedingly rare and obscure (like an Atari VCS copy of Chase the Chuck Wagon or Custer's Revenge), yet because of this same fact, Joe Layman wouldn't know such a rare cart from a Super Mario Bros pack-in unless you told him what he was looking at.

It's envy. Nothing more.

I'd much prefer seeing the true rarities of console history in the possession of collectors who know the value of an item and will protect it and prize it accordingly. I don't know any collectors who are private about their stash ... on the contrary, it's a point of pride, I think.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:54 am

Devin wrote:Funny... 75% of the time I don't care what people think! :wink:

Why's it important? I don't think it is in the grand scheme of things. At the end of all the pointless arguments it's a hobbie plain and simple. For us, well we like to take it one step further and use our collections to enlighten [at least I hope] the internet as to what the 3DO or CD-i is all about. I get a kick out of it and that's the only reason I'm gonna give :D
I'm easily empassioned. I say I don't care - when really I do. ;) (about a great many things ;) )

I'm not the only one here like that either. ;) Actually it's supprising how well mannered everything has been so far!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:58 am

Trev wrote:Well, to an extent I can see how some people would be jealous of collectors. After all, I'm rather jealous of 3DOKid, and we are both jealous of Lemmi :wink: But I don't know of any collector's who will not even share images of their items :? I find that bizzare.

Bottomline, is like Devin said, this is a hobby. And even if you aren't rich (I'm certaily not) if you look hard enough you can find things to add to your collection. Some people just have a stick up their butt I suppose :roll:
I think it comes down to how people 'manage' jealousy. I'm as jealous as hell of Lemmi's collection. But I aspire to it, rather than resent it. :D

...I'd just like him to consider carefully his 'Last Will and Testament'... very carefully :twisted:

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:39 pm

3DOKid wrote:
Trev wrote:Well, to an extent I can see how some people would be jealous of collectors. After all, I'm rather jealous of 3DOKid, and we are both jealous of Lemmi :wink: But I don't know of any collector's who will not even share images of their items :? I find that bizzare.

I think it comes down to how people 'manage' jealousy. I'm as jealous as hell of Lemmi's collection. But I aspire to it, rather than resent it. :D

...I'd just like him to consider carefully his 'Last Will and Testament'... very carefully :twisted:
you will not be happy when you hear what ive done :lol: :oops:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:45 pm

...I'm guessing it doesn't say something like "...all the 3DO stuff I give unto 3DO kid."

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:51 am

This is a strange phenomena indeed. And I really belive it can be attributed to envy.
The 3DO has special meaning for me, and that is the primary reason that I collect for it. Am I proud of my collection? Well, yes. It has required a great deal of searching and money to gather the items I currently have in my collection. Another reason I collect for the 3DO is that quite frequently I find items that I never new existed before.
Do I collect to belittle other peoples collections and to "show off"? Certainly not.
Dryden makes a good point. If not for these "tosser" collectors, the rare and obscure collectibles would be tossed about and lost, and nobody would be the wiser.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:11 am

Precisely. Most modern museums were founded on private collections. People seem to think it's either 1up manship or just financial reasons. 'Because i want to.' Isn't a proper justification in their eyes.

Also the issue of ROMS raised it's head. People with rare games are almost expected to dump the ISO or Bin file.

I'm not adverse to sharing 'stuff'. But to be expected to hand over things is well - not nice.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:25 am

Hmm, I am a collector, but I am the kind of collector that other collectors hate, know what I mean? I play my games and read my comic books. I don't hermetically seal eveything I own, and I enjoy it to the fullest that I can. I look at it this way, if you are going to spend money on it, enjoy it or you just wasted it. I have nothing against people that refuse to open their stuff and play around with them, that is fine, but I hate it when the courtesy is not returned. If I got a sealed copy of Doctor Hauzer, you know what I would do? I would open that sucker up, plop it into my 3DO and play the Hell out of it and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it either! :P
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:00 am

I agree w/T2K. It isn't enough to own the games ... I must play them! :D

I hope you can track down Dr.Hauzer eventually. It is one of my favorite import titles!

benny32
3DO ZERO USER

Post by benny32 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:22 am

I dont have a problem with enthusiasts such as yourselves collecting memorabilia. If you guys are like me, you come to respect the technology for what it offered, and the history the console represents to the industry. Enthusiasts take good care of their consoles.

The people I hate, are the ebay snatchers. To a certain extent I hate stores like gametrader. I figured out there is an ebay snatcher going to my local Goodwill in the am and the pm picking up all the classic gaming items to sell on Ebay >:( I found him at my goodwill yesterday. I know he isnt an enthusiast because he luckily didnt know what a JVC X'Eye was.

Pisses me off, because I know I could give a good home to some of these items. I dont have a problem with the guy buying the items, but he is just ####ing hoarding everything gaming related! He even buys the obscure junk, like a psone 4 port adapter. To add insult to injury, he also buys up every gaming related AC adapter. Yes you read that right, EVERY AC ADAPTER! F####ng pr#k!

Goodwill is also supposed to be a place for lower income people to pick stuff up, and this ###wipe is taking this stuff away from otherwise poor families. I'm going to try and beat this guy tommorow morning to the opening of the store.

As for GameTrader, they pay a small flat fee for several hundred classic gaming consoles. They buy them under the agreement that not all of them are working consoles. Thus, they have all these classic consoles which they run through their system and when they come along a broken one, they throw it out. I gave my local gametrader my number, so when they come accross some broken 3do, Jaguar, Neo Geo, Turbo Duo's I can come pick them up. The store managers are also uncaring about the care for these systems.

Keep up the collecting guys :)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:58 am

Actually, the guys I hate are the ones that just push the prices up by bidding crazy ammounts of money on stuff and charging insane ammounts of money for the stuff. If these assclowns would do the right thing, I might actually be able to get a cd-i and Nuon system without having to pay out the arse for it. Makes me very sad indeed. Us Jaguar people finally got the monster "Sweetstuff4you' closed down as he was the worst. The guy would actually send you threatening messages if you were bidding against him. The dude would horde items and drive the price up. It was sad seeing that he actually thought he was going to get $40.00 BIN for Checkered Flag. I am glad he is gone before 3DO goes through a real resurgance as people like him make it impossible to get a nice collection going.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:16 am

Us Jaguar people finally got the monster "Sweetstuff4you' closed down as he was the worst. The guy would actually send you threatening messages if you were bidding against him. The dude would horde items and drive the price up
I actually bought FlipOut from that seller. Wish I had known what he was like. Good ridance!
I might actually be able to get a cd-i and Nuon system without having to pay out the arse for it.
You might have success scoring a Nuon if you look for the Toshiba model. It seems to run quite a bit cheaper than the Samsung players, due to it's limited VLM. But since you already own a Jag cd, with it's much better VLM, this may not be a big factor.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:47 am

Yeah, I just want to be able to play the Nuon games is all. Don't need any fancy VLM that I already have, altough it is a cool feature for sure. :lol:

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:16 am

T2KFreeker wrote: Us Jaguar people finally got the monster "Sweetstuff4you' closed down as he was the worst. The guy would actually send you threatening messages if you were bidding against him. The dude would horde items and drive the price up. It was sad seeing that he actually thought he was going to get $40.00 BIN for Checkered Flag. .
check again because his ebay account seems to be restored
as of today i think

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:39 am

Lemmi wrote:
T2KFreeker wrote: Us Jaguar people finally got the monster "Sweetstuff4you' closed down as he was the worst. The guy would actually send you threatening messages if you were bidding against him. The dude would horde items and drive the price up. It was sad seeing that he actually thought he was going to get $40.00 BIN for Checkered Flag. .
check again because his ebay account seems to be restored
as of today i think
Well, that is really crappy! I hate that punk! I wonder how many apologies to ebay it took? I am getting to where I hate ebay, I swear.

Gir Draxa
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Gir Draxa » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:15 am

Ebay is no longer the market I chose first for rare games. There is just too many people selling the same crap as "RARE" or "LIMITED EDITION"... come on!

If you're a diehard fan, there are better places.

Anyone intrested in some help finding rare items?
Drax
CEO of The (in search of a home) CD-i & 3DO Collectives

Just slightly behind at being ahead of our time!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:26 pm

Gir Draxa wrote:Ebay is no longer the market I chose first for rare games. There is just too many people selling the same crap as "RARE" or "LIMITED EDITION"... come on!

Drax
Need you ask?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:40 pm

i would ask but since i dont buy from anywhere except US sellers, its kinda moot for me :D

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:36 pm

Mobius wrote:The only thing that bothers me is when someone gets an extremely rare game or proto of an unreleased game, and refuses to dump it and share with the community.
Agreed. Think about how many one-of-a-kind prototypes are out there hoarded by so-called "collectors". Those who don't care about the limited lifetime of magnetic/optical media nor about preservation...

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Gir Draxa wrote:Ebay is no longer the market I chose first for rare games. There is just too many people selling the same crap as "RARE" or "LIMITED EDITION"... come on!

Drax
Of course! What do you think? "No, I hate rare items I will never see anywhere because I am an idiot!" :lol: I am always up for stuff I haven't seen or will never see around in any place I shop at, like Doctor Hauzer! I actually found a copy of it and bought it. Went all the way through the opening and then "CRASH"! Scratches all over the damn place! :evil:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:32 pm

Drax
YES!!! PLEASE!!! :P

triffid_98
3DO ZERO USER

Post by triffid_98 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:04 pm

I'm not sure if it will solve your problem, but I've had really good luck fixing scratched media with a fine cloth and a bit of brasso metal polish.

Every once in a while I run into one I can't save, but it beats the hell out of useless gadgets like this....

T2KFreeker wrote:

Drax
Of course! What do you think? "No, I hate rare items I will never see anywhere because I am an idiot!" :lol: I am always up for stuff I haven't seen or will never see around in any place I shop at, like Doctor Hauzer! I actually found a copy of it and bought it. Went all the way through the opening and then "CRASH"! Scratches all over the damn place! :evil:
[/img]

Bas
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Bas » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:49 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:
Mobius wrote:The only thing that bothers me is when someone gets an extremely rare game or proto of an unreleased game, and refuses to dump it and share with the community.
Agreed. Think about how many one-of-a-kind prototypes are out there hoarded by so-called "collectors". Those who don't care about the limited lifetime of magnetic/optical media nor about preservation...
I think you forget how contacts with developers are more important than the software. There are a few cases a prototype is offered only for reviewing purposes and they don't want it to end on p2p sites. You think in this way we want to ruin the contact? Definately not.

It's nothing about being selfish or anything, but the unreleased games market is very interesting (as you will all agree with) but without a lot of investigation nothing of all this was possible in the first place. You should be happy about all the efforts taken to show at least anything to the public. But when you see a glimp, you want everything.

The same goes with the contacts, there are numerous interviews which we will never publish. Why? Because the sources don't want us to.
It's amazing how often I see in the visitor counter what people are looking for in google :D

Ofcourse, these discs are valuable, and when they are shared, the value drops. If it would be about this aspect, I think we're talking about being selfish, but it's not the case with any software we keep in the vault.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:53 pm

But what good is having the "contact" if you can't share what the contact gives you? That comes across as a sort of "Nyah nyah, I have connections and know things that you don't!" statement.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:07 pm

i really dont care if people hoard their rare prototype stuff, just get the thing dumped incase bitrot takes out the original cart, and after that happens your rare cart is worthless and a piece of history is lost forever