Any game recommendations?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T.A.P.
3DO ZERO USER

Any game recommendations?

Post by T.A.P. » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:48 am

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm trying to expand my 3DO collection. After reading what few reviews I can find for games (mainly just 3DO kid's stuff), I've put together a list of games that sound interesting to me, but since its a relatively large list I figured it couldn't hurt to get some second opinions on these games to help me whittle it down some.

Games I know I want:
Burning Soldier
D
Gex
Return Fire
Starblade
Star Control 2
Strahl
Total Eclipse
Wolfenstein

Games I'm interested in:
Battle Chess
Battlesport
Braindead 13
Captain Quasar
Creature Shock
Cyberia
Escape From Monster Manor
Gridders
Guardian War
Killing Time
Lemmings
Lucienne's Quest
Mazer
Novastorm
Panzer General
PO'ed
Scramble Cobra
Shockwave 2
Shockwave: Operation Jumpgate
Sid Meier's CPU Bach
Slayer
Space Hulk
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Wing Commander
The Horde
The Perfect General
Way of the Warrior
Wing Commander 3
Zhadnost: The People's Party - I've got Twisted. Is it worth getting this one?

Games I'm less sure about:
Cannon Fodder - Is it better than the Jaguar Version?
Dragon Lore
Flashback - Is it better than the Jaguar Version?
Lost Eden
Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - Is this the same as the Sega CD Game?
Real Pinball
Deathkeep
Pataank
Pebble Beach Golf Links
PGA Tour 96
Shadow: War of Succession
Soccer Kid
Theme Park - Is it better than the Jaguar Version?
Waialae Country Club
Wicked 18

What do you fine folks think? Also, are there any others I should look into?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:53 pm

As for the games you are not sure about yet ...

Dragon Lore & Lost Eden are similar point n click adventure games. Both are quite pretty w/great music to boot. Lost Eden is one of my all time favs! :D

Lost Files of Sherlock is nothing like the Sega cd games! It is an old school point & click gamw loaded w/speech. I love the genre (and the Holmes character for that matter) but I may be in the minority on this one, I don't know.

Real Pinball is only for diehard pinball fans. It is really rather weak overall, w/bdull tables played at a lousy angle, and I'd place it toward the bottom of your list.

PaTaank is awesome! :P Crazy 3d pinball loaded w/visual eye candy. Again, may be in the minority on my view of this game ...

Pebble Beach is not as good as PGA Tour from EA or World Cuup Golf.

Soccer Kid is a brilliant platformer that doesn't get the respect it desrves. I love it, and recommend it highly! :D

The other 2 golf games are near identical to Pebble Beach and, again, there are better choices.

Hope this gives you an idea ...

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:29 am

man, i haven't played soccer kid since i borrowed it from a friend to play on my amiga.
i remember enjoying it. i'd play it again but it doesn't like pal systems.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:06 am

Battle Chess - Great port of the PC game, if you've played it and enjoyed it in the past, you will enjoy it on the 3DO.
Escape From Monster Manor - If you like very simplistic Wolfenstein clones, then this should do the trick for ya. I personally enjoy it. Has one of the smoothest framerates on the system by far.
Guardian War - If you like simplistic turn-based RPGs with hard rock/heavy metal tunes, you'll enjoy this one as well.
Killing Time - This is a mixed bag. Some people here love it, but I can't get into it. The framerate kills it for me, it's extremely sluggish (but others here feel it's tolerable). It's really too bad, because I like the story and the atmosphere. I may recommend the "try before you buy" method.. ;)
Lucienne's Quest - I've only seen videos, but it looks very good. Will cost you a pretty penny though.
Novastorm - Excellent port. I don't enjoy it as much as the Playstation version, but it's the best version outside of that one.
PO'ed - Again, I may recommend the try-before-you-buy method here. Some people love it--I personally do not (and I'm a huge 90's fps fan). It can get really sluggish, and running around with only a frying pan for the first portion of the game while loads of enemies swarms at you just doesn't do it for me.
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - You've probably heard it before, but this was the best port up until the recent remake was released for XBLA.
Flashback - Yes, it's much, much better than the Jaguar version. It has a full soundtrack and the FMV is the best of any of the platforms available. The Jag version, while still being a good game, was actually the weakest link of the ports available--It even had slowdown that the SNES and Genesis ports didn't have. Sad, because the Jag was so much better than that.
Real Pinball - Pass. You're better off getting high-quality digital pinball games on other platforms from this time period.
Shadow: War of Succession - If you want to play a drinking game that consists of taking a shot every time something cheesy or goofy happens in this game, you will be dead from alcohol poisoning before the intro sequence is even over.

Hope that helps! Also, if you haven't tried them, I personally recommend Bladeforce, Trip'd, and Icebreaker. I have vids of those (as well as Wolf 3D and Monster Manor) on my YouTube profile in my sig.

PS, if anyone has any feedback on Lemmings, I'm interested in that one as well. A local shop has it, but it's a little expensive for my tastes. I think it's the only version I haven't played, but I'm guessing there's the potential it's the best one out there.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:18 pm

PS, if anyone has any feedback on Lemmings, I'm interested in that one as well. A local shop has it, but it's a little expensive for my tastes. I think it's the only version I haven't played, but I'm guessing there's the potential it's the best one out there.
Sadly, the 3DO version does not support the 3DO mouse. :cry: I've found that this makes later levels overly frustrating, as the d-pad is just not sufficient ... the game really screams for mouse support. Also, short of an opening clip, there is no graphical enhancements, making the game look rather ugly on a slick machine like 3DO. If it is expensive to boot ... :?

Yeah, I'd pass until you can get it for cheap.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Qcombus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Qcombus » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm

Trev wrote: Sadly, the 3DO version does not support the 3DO mouse. :cry: I've found that this makes later levels overly frustrating, as the d-pad is just not sufficient ... the game really screams for mouse support. Also, short of an opening clip, there is no graphical enhancements, making the game look rather ugly on a slick machine like 3DO. If it is expensive to boot ... :?

I'm pretty sure this game has mouse support as I remember playing lemmings with the 3DO mouse over a year ago.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Trev wrote:
Sadly, the 3DO version does not support the 3DO mouse. :cry: I've found that this makes later levels overly frustrating, as the d-pad is just not sufficient ... the game really screams for mouse support. Also, short of an opening clip, there is no graphical enhancements, making the game look rather ugly on a slick machine like 3DO. If it is expensive to boot ... :?

Well, more expensive than I would like to pay (between $20 and $30), but probably less than what some of these retards are charging for one on eBay.. ;)

I don't mind the old-school graphics, I actually kind of dig the original Lemmings style. Hm.. Maybe I'll see if there are any YouTube videos.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:51 am

Sorry, you are correct ... it does indeed support the mouse. My memory was hazy as last time I played it I only used a a standard pad. I consider the mouse a requirement for 3do lemmings.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:49 pm

You guys should try Pheonix3. It's a game that I never even heard of, or ever seen anyone mention until I aquired it. It's actually a pretty cool side scrolling platformer. Has the trade mark cheese ball FMV. Graphics are Pit Fighter style. Good action and music though. Control is a little quirky but you get over it.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:40 pm

oldskool wrote:You guys should try Pheonix3. It's a game that I never even heard of, or ever seen anyone mention until I aquired it. It's actually a pretty cool side scrolling platformer. Has the trade mark cheese ball FMV. Graphics are Pit Fighter style. Good action and music though. Control is a little quirky but you get over it.
I hated it. A lot.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Yeah I seen the review of it after I posted that, looks like it's not a much liked game, but I didn't think it was so bad really.

GameCubed
3DO ZERO USER

Post by GameCubed » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:19 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on Perfect General? Is it a strategy game a la Panzer General?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 pm

It is certainly easier to get into. But you won't find too many singing it's praises. Its dated visuals and lack of depth contribute to its bad rep. I don't think it's actually as bad as I've read/heard, but it isn't a game I've spent much time with.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Kind of tangential, but back when the 3DO was released and a mate was running a game rental place, he had stacked the tall Burning Soldier case in front of the jewel cased Sex.

It rather perfectly ran together to make Burning Soldier Sex.

Anyway, I remember everybody praising Panzer General, but I couldn't get into it. Sometimes genres don't age well, I guess.

Sherlock Holmes was definitely better than the Sega CD game, but only in aesthetics... there weren't many puzzles that were worth note, and you could easily breeze through the game. Some good writing and a highly humorous scene where Holmes winds up a shopkeeper into confessing some information, though.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:20 am

Vance wrote: It rather perfectly ran together to make Burning Soldier Sex.
Thats just too funny.

There was this videogame store I hung out at as a kid. An old Funcoland for those of you who knew them. The assistant manager made a nametag that was abbreviated ass. man. I always found it humorous.