What kind of TV do you play your 3DO on?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

What kind of TV do you play your 3DO on?

Post by oldskool » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:59 pm

I am currently using a 50" Toshiba, but it sucks. I have to sit way to close to it, so it makes all the games look bad. You can see the scanlines too easily, and because it's a large TV FMV looks like ass. Not nearly as good as I remember it being on my 25" TV that I have in the bedroom.

I am thinking of getting a 32" to 36" Sony Trinitron Wega to have in the game room instead. I believe (I dunno), that it's the best retro gaming TV out there with the true-flat screen and beautiful screen detail. I could imagine that a 3DO on a 36" WEGA would be absolutely beautiful.

I have found a few WEGAs on Craigslist for usually between 100-200 bucks - I am thinking about picking one up.

It has been my experience that any retro console hooked up to my 42" LCD just looks like ass, so I am not even going to go there.

Any other recommendations for a TV for retro gaming goodness? Anything with component/s-video inputs?

swaaye

Post by swaaye » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm running one on a 50" Samsung plasma TV. It's surprisingly good IMO. It deinterlaces the output well. I have to use composite instead of s-video because my TV lacks s-vid, but I've never noticed an improvement with s-vid anyway.

Are you on a giant CRT TV? That's the only way you should have scanlines.. Unless you are referring to the interlaced FMV in some games?

FYI, with huge TVs like these you are supposed to sit 6 feet back or more. That's part of what you need to consider when looking at TVs this large.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:20 am

It's a big projection TV I guess you could call it. Maybe it's CRT I dunno. It's basically a huge box. The type of big screens people do not want anymore. Anyways, it was free so I can't complain too much, but I want something different. With the size of that TV and the game room, it forces me to sit about 5 foot from it.

When I mean scanlines, I mean all the horizontal lines on the screen. I've noticed that with these large projection screens you can see them quite a bit too much. I do know that with these types of TVs if you sit at least 10 feet from it, it's not too bad.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 am

mine right now is hooked up to a 1984 RCA 13" Color TV :D

but normally its on my 1999, 27" Samsung TV
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:41 am

A Commodore monitor of course!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:52 am

Lemmi wrote:mine right now is hooked up to a 1984 RCA 13" Color TV :D

Does that old RCA have composite connections on the back? I bet FMV looks excellent on 13", haha.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:54 am

3DO Experience wrote:A Commodore monitor of course!
That's interesting, but why? A monitor is not too large at all, unless you like to play 3DO while sitting in the computer chair. Well I guess that doesn't matter too much considering people did the same with the 3DO blaster.

Does it look pretty good on the monitor? Is that a composite monitor or do you have some sort of RGB set up?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 pm

A 1996 Sony Trinitron 32"

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Nice, that's what I am talking about! What do you think of it? Is that a WEGA? How's the picture?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:30 pm

oldskool wrote:
Lemmi wrote:mine right now is hooked up to a 1984 RCA 13" Color TV :D

Does that old RCA have composite connections on the back? I bet FMV looks excellent on 13", haha.
nope it doesnt but it is cable ready (old cable ready) ... lol
i havent played my 3do since its been hooked up to the 13" TV
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:03 am

Panasonic Tau 27" flat screen CRT via S-Video. It is the only way to play 3do. Although... I may have to give in a go on the LCD...!

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:53 am

It’s a tight contest between the tau and the wega in 26 inch - I used to work in an electronics store and tried my 3do out on heaps of different screens once I’d close for the day. It looked okay on plasma and lcd as long as you change the res to 640 x 480 and the ratio to 4:3 - forget it though if you want to use the gun.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:48 am

The Panasonic would be a good fit for the Panasonic, but finding one of those on Craigslist is probably not so easy.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:59 pm

28" Panasonic TX-28 Quintrix

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:19 am

bonefish wrote:Panasonic Tau 27" flat screen CRT via S-Video. It is the only way to play 3do. Although... I may have to give in a go on the LCD...!
Hey, 27" flat screen CRT via S-video buddy! It's the only way to play old school games. I've already been through a couple HDTVs, but I'm keeping my old 27" SDTV forever.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:35 pm

A Panasonic 26 or 27 inches ... not sure of the year off hand. A step up form the small units I used to run it on 13 & 20 inches.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 am

oldskool wrote:
3DO Experience wrote:A Commodore monitor of course!
That's interesting, but why? A monitor is not too large at all, unless you like to play 3DO while sitting in the computer chair. Well I guess that doesn't matter too much considering people did the same with the 3DO blaster.

Does it look pretty good on the monitor? Is that a composite monitor or do you have some sort of RGB set up?
Commodore monitors are not the same as computer monitors of today. They were more like very sweet TVs. The colors are outstanding and so is the clarity, but yes it's small. It does not require RGB or YCbCr, it takes regular composite or you can modify an S-Video cable to hook up to the separate luma and chroma inputs. (it's the little square TV)

I am in the process of getting a 32 SONY Wega, hopefully this weekend. Maybe this will put me in the push to set up the game room.
As a side note you can see Andy has one hooked up in the DVD that came with Icebreaker 2.

GeneStealer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by GeneStealer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:53 am

i'm currently running my FZ-1 on a sanyo 32 inch HDTV via s-video cable... before that i was using a small commodore 64 monitor with a/v jacks. the s-video on the sanyo looks amazing.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:25 am

Hmmm that's interesting, I always wondered how well the 3DO would look out on our 42" LCD in the living room. I might give that a shot, in my experience retro consoles just look like crap on it, but with the s-video it may not look too bad at all, I know the PS1 w/s-video on it looks outstanding.

swaaye

Post by swaaye » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:11 am

It looks fine on my giant plasma. You just have to sit at the proper distance for these huge TVs and hope the TV does deinterlacing of the signal in a decent way.

I giggle at the thought of what somebody from 3DO's time would have thought of playing consoles on TVs as big as they come today, and with the quality of them today too.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:07 am

Why did no one warn me that WEGAs weigh so much!!??
It weighs more than I do! Seriously I have a Panasonic panablack the same screen size and I can pick that up. This takes three of us to move around. My poor left arm will hurt for days and the TV is too wide to fit on anything because of the speakers!

It does have a very pretty picture though. I tested my 3DO and Saturn on it.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:03 am

Oh lol! You got one? Awesome, oh yeah they are supposed to be heavy.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:39 pm

My left arm still hurts. :cry:

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:38 am

NEC 9 PG video projector, which is a CRT graphics grade projector, capable of 320x240 up to 1600x1200p and everything in between.

The 3DO goes from s-video into a Faroudja scaler, from there via HDMI to a HD Fury 3, from there into the NEC.

The picture is perfect, its sharp, its smooth, and there is ZERO flicker.

Although i would rather have direct RGB straight into the RGB-HV input on the NEC, i would then have an interlaced picture, instead of the progressive picture i get through the Faroudja.

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:34 am

3DO Experience wrote:My left arm still hurts. :cry:
lol
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

AntiFreak
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by AntiFreak » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:09 pm

LOL Big screen forum
I play on a 27" crt TV and i´m damn happy about it i had a 22" tv for like 3 years

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:17 pm

I used a Sony Trinitron Wega for my classic gaming consoles when I was still buying consoles it actually was a kick as tv for old school gaming it had S-video and component inputs. It was also good for my Laserdiscs playback. Currently I do all my gaming on my Toshiba Laptop and the built in screen but sometimes I will hook up to my tv in my room via hdmi. Which is a 22" RCA LED tv. it works pretty good the screen is the right size.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:08 pm

I use a 25" Sony Trinitron Wega from '01-ish or so. It's held up pretty well and puts out a sharp image despite S-Video being the most it takes.

I absolutely NEED to upgrade to a HD set as some modern games are becoming unplayable, letterboxed to the point where text is impossible to read. I will always keep my tube around for the old stuff though.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:25 pm

I still use my trusty 16 year old Sony Trititron. It is astonishing how long this thing has lasted.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:04 am

Wow, I thought my TV was old. It's a 7 year old JVC TV, bought when its features (widescreen, flat screen, 3 speakers) were all big sellling points. It's a beast of a TV too. It's only a 28" screen, but due to it having huge speakers down each side it feels a lot bigger than it actually is.

My favourite feature, and what sold it for me when choosing it, is the built-in woofer which sits on the top at the back of the TV, producing stunning sound! I love this TV and will keep using it as my main set until it kicks the bucket :D

Here's my set up, taking pride of place at the front of my living room, right in front of my bay window, and you can see the large woofer there too behind the wooden shark 8) :