Some more 3DO oddities

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Some more 3DO oddities

Post by bitrate » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Well, here are some pics of more 3DO oddities.

First up is a version of D that is unlike the retail versions. In the below picture, starting at the longbox and going clockwise, we have the US released longbox version of D, then the Japanese Director's Cut, then the regular Japanese release of D and finally at the bottom of the picture is the oddball.

As can be seen in the following two pictures, the disks for the oddball version look completely different from the normal release versions.

I didn't bother digging out my PAL version of D to look at those disks, so if someone has their PAL version of D handy maybe they could take a look at the disks as I don't recall exactly what they looked like.

Next up is another 3DO to SNES converter. One day I've got to get a picture of all the different SNES converters I have for the 3DO.

ImageImage

And finally, here is another sampler disk. Actually, the disk I believe to be the same as another sampler, but the manual is different.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:27 am

That odd copy of D looks like it could of been a budget packaging. Or maybe even a bootleg.... do bootlegs like that for 3do exsist?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:02 pm

I think they do as I have bootleg of Pyramid Intruder and Rise of the Robots.

Madroms

Post by Madroms » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:22 pm

Most of the time on bootlegs, they don't keep the copyright stuff. So for me it seems legit but I never saw those discs.

The EUR discs have the same artwork as the USA ones.

Could you tell us the text found on the inner ring of the discs ? It may help us identify if they are bootlegs or not.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Madroms wrote:Most of the time on bootlegs, they don't keep the copyright stuff. So for me it seems legit but I never saw those discs.

The EUR discs have the same artwork as the USA ones.

Could you tell us the text found on the inner ring of the discs ? It may help us identify if they are bootlegs or not.

Here are some pics of the inside ring. The only information contained in the ring is the part number of the game, which corresponds to the part number silkscreened to the face of the disk.
The regular released versions of D are handled in a similar way, but have different part numbers.

T.A.P.
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T.A.P. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 am

That US copy looks dead sexy.

*sigh* I'm such a sucker for unnecessarily large things.

Madroms

Post by Madroms » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:10 pm

So i don't have any clue. I checked some of my games (JPN, US, EUR, KOR, Bootleg) and what isaw if the bootlegs have most of the time only 1 serial on the inner ring but the artwork is really poor, not like the one on your D discs.
JPN, US, EUR have most of the time more information/serials.
So I don't know what to think about them.

And on the manual/back cover, there aren't any stuff that could help you identified where they come from ?

Also, do you rip on of it and compare it with a rip of the JPN disc to see if it is the same data or not ?

T.A.P.
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T.A.P. » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:48 pm

Is it a Media Review Copy?

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:24 pm

hopefully this clarifies and not confuses :lol:

here are the UK and Japanese jewel cases (Japanese one is still sealed with spine card) - Can anyone explain why there is a transparent red square over the title in the Japanese one?

Here is a pic of the UK discs - Although the artwork is the same as the US discs there is no colour differentiation ie red/blue - they are both more of a pink colour. They are also clearly marked as "UK Version".

in this pic you can see my original Syndicate and the bootleg - The bootleg has identical artwork including the copyright stuff but is only a one colour screen as opposed to the original two colour. It was nearly 12 months after I purchased that I realised this one was fake. :oops:

and lastly here is a pic of the DOCs controllers in different packaging - here they were sold under the "stealth" labelling. Also pictured is a SNES adapter - over the years I have owned several different types (all loose) that I either sell on or include with stuff I sell - I don't use them and am only interested in keeping boxed stuff.

"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

T.A.P.
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T.A.P. » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:32 am

I'm surprised there are bootlegs of 3DO games. It just seems like such an odd thing to bootleg.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:36 am

It was very common at the time - I had a friend who had a massive 3DO library consisting mainly of bootlegs out of Hong Kong - some were almost impossible to tell the difference - and remember legit games were expensive and cd burners almost unheard of in 1995.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

GameCubed
3DO ZERO USER

Post by GameCubed » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:09 am

"The EA Moist Mullet"? Who would have thought that was a good title for a sampler disc? I guess that might explain its obscurity.

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:07 am

Pretty old post, but I'd like to point out that I believe the EA Moist Mullet thing is actually not what it appears to be. The booklet would have been originally packaged with a PAL EA game, like Sherlock Holmes. There was a second booklet with lard on the front called like EA Lard or something.

I'd guess someone, for whatever reason lost the original insert for the demo cd, had this orphaned 3DO booklet and stuck it in the case. The cd itself is just the European version of the #3 demo cd.

I could be entirely incorrect, but to the best of my knowledge, those 2 things do not go together.

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Want to talk about odd??

Saw this on EvilBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-3DO-I ... 3a756e0a18

It's a Goldstar 3DO that comes in a Panasonic 3DO FZ-1 Box .. yet they say ..

"PANASONIC 3DO IN BOX ONE CONTROLLER AND ONE GAME

PLUGGED IT IN AND IT WORKS GREAT
STILL HAVE BOX AND ORIGINAL STRAFOAM"

... WOW .. just WOW. *facepalm*
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Yeah, I saw that too. :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:12 pm

RARER THAN NINTENDO :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

MakillaGorilla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MakillaGorilla » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:47 pm

With D being originally programmed for the 3DO, is the common consensus that it is the superior version between it and the Saturn version? Does anyone have a unique opinion on the matter?
'Did that guy just say he thinks rings are cool!?!?'

Most Desired Games:
-Out of This World (longbox) -Alone in the Dark (longbox) -Lucienne's Quest (longbox) -Killing Time (longbox) -Robinson's Requiem (longbox) -Strahl (longbox) -Dragon Lore (longbox) -Star Control II (longbox) -Sailor Moon (JPN) -Doctor Hauzer (JPN) -Montana Jones (JPN)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:22 am

MakillaGorilla wrote:With D being originally programmed for the 3DO, is the common consensus that it is the superior version between it and the Saturn version? Does anyone have a unique opinion on the matter?
I don't think that's the consensus, no. The Saturn version uses Cinepak for the video compression but nonetheless looks quite good. Also, all ports of D include some additional FMV that wasn't included in the 3DO version, except perhaps in the Director's Cut. I suspect someone more technically knowledgeable than I could make a good argument that the 3DO version is overall better, but it's not one of those cases (e.g.Star Fighter, Space Hulk, or The Need For Speed) where the port is obviously half-baked compared to the 3DO original.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Didn't they switch the music for the later ports? I seem to remember that ticking off some critics back in the day. Similar to what happened when Resident Evil Directors Cut was released w/a totally reworked soundtrack. Someone w/multiple versions could verify for sure, but I'm almost certain that was the case.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 am

Possibly some versions have different music, but the Saturn version's music is the same as the 3DO version's. The only exception is they seem to have switched a couple instruments in the intro tune, but the rhythms and melodies themselves are exactly the same.

One minor difference is that for some reason, the Saturn version's title screen isn't animated, and thus doesn't look nearly as cool.