Starfighter

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

avanteproject
3DO ZERO USER

Starfighter

Post by avanteproject » Thu May 06, 2010 1:06 pm

I bought this game a couple of days ago off ebay, hopefully I should have it by the weekend. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of it. From the videos I've seen it has a great soundtrack and visuals and a lot of freedom with it's gameplay, but, is it really as awesome as it looks?
Proud owner of a 3DO FZ-1!

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu May 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Its a very fun game until the difficulty kicks in. I guess it's not impossible but I just got impatient with the game and whipped out the game guru. It is pretty fun with a great soundtrack.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri May 07, 2010 12:58 pm

I pretty much agree w/BryWI. I haven't used the game guru w/it yet, but later missions are challenging. It is fun though, and the soundtrack is great.

Speaking of the soundtrack, it is very unique and so different from the standard 3do rock music that so many other games have. You'd think it would yank you out of the game buit it doesn't! Good stuff and I applaud the change, the game really benefits from it. :)

A good game that demonstrates what the 3DO was capable of. It is highly regarded, and I'm sure you'll like it too.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri May 07, 2010 11:38 pm

I liked it on the second try. initially I thought it was kind of boring, but then I imagined I had paid £44 for it ($70) and stuck with it, and I really actually enjoyed it. It's quite the tribute to 3DO technology too right?
Last edited by 3DOKid on Sat May 08, 2010 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mck
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mck » Sat May 08, 2010 5:52 am

I bought a 3DO from a thrift store for $12 the other day and this game was already in the console.

I really like the soundtrack on it, and I think it's a pretty good game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat May 08, 2010 12:30 pm

Sweet deal! :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

avanteproject
3DO ZERO USER

Post by avanteproject » Sat May 08, 2010 11:59 pm

As I was hoping, Starfighter arrived today. I've played it quite a lot already, just flying around and getting used to everything. It's seems pretty cool so far.
Proud owner of a 3DO FZ-1!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun May 09, 2010 9:45 am

avanteproject wrote:As I was hoping, Starfighter arrived today. I've played it quite a lot already, just flying around and getting used to everything. It's seems pretty cool so far.
It's impressive isn't it. I have Star Fighter 3000 on the PS1, which I believe is a port of the 3do version, and it really sucks.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Loved the heck out of it. The 3DO version itself is a port from some vague UK computer that never made it over to the states, the Acorn Archimedes. Until I read up on that, I didn't get some of the early Smith & Jones sketches...

I didn't mind the difficulty, in fact I loved it. My only problem were the space missions. The lack of terrain kicked the game speed to high gear and it was disorienting.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed May 12, 2010 6:22 am

RISC based computer the Archimedes made in Cambridge (near me :) )

They both, Archimedes and 3DO, have an ARM RISC processor. I remember having a party at my flat in Cambridge (many many many years ago) and a chap from ARM was amazed at my 3DO, he didn't believe anyone had bought one.

MrAshDarksideTM
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MrAshDarksideTM » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:40 am

It's easily my favorite 3DO game, I tracked down a Flightstick just for it. Sadly my 3DO is down and I have been without for awhile :(
3DOKid wrote:RISC based computer the Archimedes made in Cambridge (near me :) )

They both, Archimedes and 3DO, have an ARM RISC processor. I remember having a party at my flat in Cambridge (many many many years ago) and a chap from ARM was amazed at my 3DO, he didn't believe anyone had bought one.
The 3DO version is easily the best of the bunch. Followed by the RISC OS original. The PS1/Saturn/DOS versions were a joke in comparison.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return.

Karyyk
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Karyyk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 am

One of the best games on the system. For a shooter at the time, the amount of freedom when it comes to flight is unrivaled really. There are all kinds of different attack angles you can take, and the game had "terrain deformation" before it was a buzzterm for second-rate PS3 games from Lucasarts.