Internet Forums: A right or a privilege?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Internet Forums: A right or a privilege?

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:38 am

I had an interesting conversation on another forum recently with a chap that seemed to believe that Internet forums were some sort of right. If he got banned or blocked then it was some sort of infringement on his human rights (almost) and he got very emotional about it.

My view is different. These things are a privilege and if you act like an ass, then you get banned. And banning in general is at the whim of the admin.

Now, I'm pretty free and easy with my bannings, firstly I don't think it's a big deal and secondly all new members are banning cannon fodder IMHO.

It struck me that my attitude may well be well out of sync with the rest of the planet. Not 3DO Experience obviously, she makes me look tolerant.. but what does everyone else think?

These forums a Freedom of Speech right or Devin (the guy who pays for it) Privilege?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:51 am

Privilege, absolutely. Who's paying for this? Not me.. I have no "right" to be here.. If I act like an arse, I'm liable to be kicked. I consider forums to be public outlets.. Like any public venue, be it behind a computer screen or at a local pub, you are bound to the rules of the place and are liable to be booted if you don't comply.

On the other hand though, some moderators or forum admins are unforgivingly harsh and are trigger-happy on the ban button. That's quite annoying.. That's not a problem here, though.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I resent that. 3DO Experience and I are trigger happy. ;)

Joking aside, I think it's a priviledge too. We are all on this forum by the grace of Devin who pays for it.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:16 pm

Then why do I keep getting that yearly renewal license in the mail for these forums?! :) Seriously... someone thought their rights would be violated if they would be banned from a forum? They need to find something better to do with their time. Someone should tell them their rights are being violated when they are not allowed to walk into an employees only section in a store. :/

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:42 pm

he wanted compensation for 'lost deals' after he was banned for being shady.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:35 am

Heh heh ... I'm pretty sure I've had more ban threats than anyone here :lol: (in jest, but still)

My secret ... talk good things about taboo games (Primal Rage, Cyberdillo, etc...)

Oh, and of course my caravan market in Cairo. :wink:

Seriously though, for someone who doesn't frequent too many forums, what are some of the most bunk reasons given for a ban? Has anyone here ever gotten the boot for a bogus reason?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:18 am

Trev wrote:Has anyone here ever gotten the boot for a bogus reason?
You're about to be the first.
Come on, you set yourself up for that one. :wink:
Oh and did you know I was recently called a "trigger-happy banning maniac"? The nerve of some people!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 pm

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:31 am

LOL great vid
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:23 am

Forums... a right?

Pfft.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:46 am

3DO Experience wrote: Image
^^^

This never gets old. :D

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Internet Forums: A right or a privilege?

Post by Devin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:09 pm

3DOKid wrote:I had an interesting conversation on another forum recently with a chap that seemed to believe that Internet forums were some sort of right. If he got banned or blocked then it was some sort of infringement on his human rights (almost) and he got very emotional about it.
Probably also thinks it's okay to leave skid marks in your neighbours pan! :roll:

So I'm in the privilege camp. Just happy for 3DO fans to have a dedicated forum with 3DOKID and 3DO Experience manning the guns!

It's an interesting argument however since the kids today don't remember a time without internet access and forums. So they may well have expectations where as us old time gamers still live in wonder of such things (at least I do!).

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:31 pm

It's a right (in Finland).