For Sale section changes.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

For Sale section changes.

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:06 am

It's locked. And I locked it.

I think we have to change the For Sale section. This forum isn't eBay and the issues that we have had boil down to trust which eBay handles really well.

We had a situation recently where a trusted forum member, tried to buy something from an unknown or untrusted member and because this forum doesn't have a feedback mechanism there was an air of distrust, which made everyone (buyer and seller) nervous and eventually it fell into a heap. Despite the fact that everyone involved was honest or trying to be, and everyone was trying to do the right thing by themselves at the same time.

And this is aside from the fact that I managed the recent giga-drama situation quite badly.

So, i propose the buying and selling of items is restricted to those with a post count of 50 and above. These <50 userswill be welcome to post their links to eBay stuff but will not be welcome trading outside of ebay.

And personally, I don't think it's unfair to call people with a post count of less than 50 untrusted. Would I have issues or concerns buying stuff from 3DO Experience or Vance? No I wouldn't, would I have concerns buying stuff from UserXYZ (who?) yes I would.

I also think we should have a closed or private forum where the regulars can trade stuff between the regulars by invitation only. We could use this for other stuff too :)

So, what do you guys think?

I can't face anymore hormonal giga-drama.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:10 pm

The only problem with a 50 post count requirement is the amount of semi-spam posts in old topics that will be created to sell something here. Why someone would do that instead of just putting something on ebay is beyond me, but i know someone out there will do that eventualy.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm not sure how long you thought about this new system, you've been dealing with this problem for a while now but it was a lot between those two. Why don't you e-mail me (not PM as I'm very busy lately) and we'll try to work on something and get a new system ironed out. I will say up front however I have always personally hated it when someone comes in here and the first thing they post is their stuff they are selling on ebay. If they want to come in and make an account to sell than they should be trying to sell to us as collectors, not some retro-dork surfing ebay to look for anything with R@RE written on it. I'm going out of town but will be online some so pop me an e-mail.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 pm

I thought about it for precisely the 5 minutes it took me to write it. (I don't have your email address) but you are the wiser one on all this so, as always, I'm open to suggestion :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:27 am

The (potential) bad seller was working with me. I admit it. I'm the likely cause of these upcoming changes ... unless there is another sour deal I don't know about.

For what its worth, checking the feedback forum, I see that I've done 12 different transactions through the sale forum w/6 different members. They have all gone wonderfully!

So, odds are that this was an unfortunate fluke. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to buy or trade w/someone on this forum again. I hope the marketplace remians.

However ... don't waste my time. Don't swap pms w/me for 3 weeks, getting me to up my offer, only to turn around and list on Ebay ... especially w/no real explanation given.

(Stepping off my soapbox now) Thanks to all those whom I've had great dealing w/over the years (often repeatedly) 3DOKid, MattyG, 3DOExp, Lemmi, etc ... :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Hound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Hound » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:53 am

What I'd like to see is anyone, who posts something like this within their first or first few posts, banned. "What do you think this loose copy of Mazer is worth?" and then you see it on Ebay. Eh, that just bugs the hell out of me.

As for the For Sale section. Eh, this isn't Ebay, it's more like a classified ad section. So putting a post count on people wanting to sell isn't a bad thing.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:04 am

Hound wrote:What I'd like to see is anyone, who posts something like this within their first or first few posts, banned. "What do you think this loose copy of Mazer is worth?" and then you see it on Ebay. Eh, that just bugs the hell out of me.

You would have loved this guy:

http://cdinteractive.co.uk/3do/forum/vi ... php?t=1726

It was actually pretty funny when I saw it on Ebay. Didn't get the commission I requested though. :cry:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:12 am

agreed. let's ban their asses too

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:14 am

3DOKid I think those are all great ideas. I know I am fairly new here too, but I sometimes have a hard time with trust. Luckily every one of my transactions here were good and nothing bad happened, but it's always nice to have that feeling of safety when dealing with people. Of course, I have only been the seller, and not the buyer so it's not TOO big of an issue. Really BUYING is what I'd worry about.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:39 am

This is a shameless reply simply to get my posts up..

Only three more to go! :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:23 pm

Austin wrote:This is a shameless reply simply to get my posts up..

Only three more to go! :wink:
3DO experience has posted me with some perfect idea's to manage this properly. Despite being a trigger-happy banning maniac she is also pretty clever at this stuff.

More coming soon right?

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:04 pm

It's really too bad that the marketplace was closed down. I have some boxes I wanted to see if you guys were interested in of Lucienne's Quest and Plumbers Don't Wear ties.. but since I couldn't post them here in the marketplace up on Ebay they went (and still are if you are interested)

It's too bad I couldn't give you guys the first dibs on it though, they are still sitting cheap though I started them at .99 cents and no reserve.

I have yet to put all my other 3DO stuff on Ebay however. Since it's in the Marketplace here, I feel that it should stay here within the community. But right now of course it's not going anywhere.

I know this is not a busy place, and the marketplace is kind of slow really, but hopefully we can figure something out, because it *was* kind of nice to have.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:41 pm

we will have a private forum where you can sell me that copy luciennes quest :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:30 am

trigger-happy banning maniac
What a great tag! :lol:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:07 am

3DOKid wrote:Despite being a trigger-happy banning maniac...
hmmmmmm :wink:

Well my "perfect idea's" will be working sometime by the end of the week. Keep looking, in the meantime the current marketplace is about to disappear.

GameCubed
3DO ZERO USER

Post by GameCubed » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:35 am

3DOKid, I'm afraid making a post-count restriction on posting for sale threads will just push the trading to PM's, where the forum members won't be able to keep tabs on what's going on.

The other component of that is, although having flash-in-the-pan strangers hawking their wares doesn't much contribute to an ongoing community, you'd have to think about what the circumstances might be for a person to post their collection for sale. If someone has 3DO items that they've now decided to part with, they are not likely to get invested in a forum dedicated to a system they no longer have interest in.

I'd also suggest at least keeping the feedback thread open, or resurrecting the previous one. Personally, I met and traded with a number of users who had few posts, and all were terrific people to work with. I encouraged those members to post in the feedback forum, and I could return the favor so that other users could know that those users, even if it appeared that they were not very active, were still trustworthy.

I'm really happy to have had the chance to help other 3DO collectors complete their collection within this forum, rather than to use eBay.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:49 am

I want to let you know that post count will not be an end all thing. In fact there will be a marketplace for any member to trade, and the feedback thread will be moved to the new open marketplace, so all that feedback will still be around. :D "resurrecting the previous one" is something that was already decided on. You can't see it at this moment but trust me the thread still exists and will be there when the new marketplace opens.

GameCubed
3DO ZERO USER

Post by GameCubed » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:57 am

Yippee!

Now I only wish I had copied & pasted my own for sale thread.... :(

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:05 am

Sorry 3DOkid, Lucienne's Quest and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties boxes are already up on Ebay. So if you are interested you'll just have to bid on them. They are the only ones up there right now.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:29 am

oldskool wrote:Sorry 3DOkid, Lucienne's Quest and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties boxes are already up on Ebay. So if you are interested you'll just have to bid on them. They are the only ones up there right now.
Damnit! Someone outbid me on the Lucienne's box.... :cry:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:26 pm

I just wanted you to know in case you didn't see it that the Open Marketplace is ready for people to post in.

<3 3DOExp