Doom on 3DO

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

avanteproject
3DO ZERO USER

Doom on 3DO

Post by avanteproject » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Just got Doom today off eBay and having played 9 levels and the secret level in one sitting I have to say it's not as bad as most people are saying. In fact, it's actually pretty good.

The framerate is obviously the biggest problem but It seems about the same as the Saturn version. The screen size doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would either, and the controls are alright too.

I was under the impression that Doom on the 3DO was unplayable, a monstrosity, an abomination of mankind... but it's not. It's a decent looking, great sounding port of Doom and if you can get used to the choppiness and smaller screen it's pretty fun.

That's just what I think anyway. :D
Proud owner of a 3DO FZ-1!

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 pm

uh oh....

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Re: Doom on 3DO

Post by bitrate » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:01 pm

avanteproject wrote:Just got Doom today off eBay and having played 9 levels and the secret level in one sitting I have to say it's not as bad as most people are saying. In fact, it's actually pretty good.

The framerate is obviously the biggest problem but It seems about the same as the Saturn version. The screen size doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would either, and the controls are alright too.

I was under the impression that Doom on the 3DO was unplayable, a monstrosity, an abomination of mankind... but it's not. It's a decent looking, great sounding port of Doom and if you can get used to the choppiness and smaller screen it's pretty fun.

That's just what I think anyway. :D

I understand what you are saying. I think its biggest problem was grounded in the fact that people had much bigger expectations of a game like this on the 3DO. People look at games like PO'ed and wonder what in the hell happened with Doom.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:30 pm

Nice. I just beat Duke Nukem 3D in one sitting myself (for PC).

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:26 am

The problem is that you have to compare it to the superior version. By the time 3DO's Doom came out, you were paying more for a notably inferior version.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:35 am

Doom on the PS1 was out and it was aces. So was the Jag version. Both of which were aces.

Interesting that the 3DO version and PS1 version and the saturn version were all ports of the Jag version.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:52 am

3DOKid wrote:Doom on the PS1 was out and it was aces. So was the Jag version. Both of which were aces.

Interesting that the 3DO version and PS1 version and the saturn version were all ports of the Jag version.
They were all ports of the Jag version? I thought they were ports of the PC version?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:53 am

Nope. Carmack was a Jag Fanboy and wrote the Jaguar version himself, and because, apparently, the consoles of the day (Saturn, PS1, 3DO, etc) weren't up to it, they all got ported from the actually pretty good, jag version. For my money the Jag version is better than the PC version. It feels better and handles better (IMHO) but obviously doesn't have all the same monsters and levels than the PC version.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:16 am

Yeah.. the 3DO version is pretty bad.. Not as bad framerate-wise as the Saturn version, and at least you can shrink the screen size down to get it to run smoother. I think I managed to finish the game in a screen size about two or three inches wide on my TV, hah.. It's a shame though, with the quality of the visuals and bad-ass remixed soundtrack, this could have easily been the best console version of DOOM..

UK3DOFAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UK3DOFAN » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:06 am

Nope. Carmack was a Jag Fanboy and wrote the Jaguar version himself, and because, apparently, the consoles of the day (Saturn, PS1, 3DO, etc) weren't up to it,
Thats strange as all three consoles are superior to the Jaguar both technically and software wise.

I guess programmers like to push the weakest hardware as much as possible hence why the 32X and SNES got versions too :)
3DO 4 Life!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:36 am

UK3DOFAN wrote:
Nope. Carmack was a Jag Fanboy and wrote the Jaguar version himself, and because, apparently, the consoles of the day (Saturn, PS1, 3DO, etc) weren't up to it,
Thats strange as all three consoles are superior to the Jaguar both technically and software wise.

I guess programmers like to push the weakest hardware as much as possible hence why the 32X and SNES got versions too :)
Well, not entirely true.. For one, Carmack is a programming genius, clearly working his magic on the Jag version.. I'm not sure how much of a hand he had in the other non-Jag/32X versions; Second, he has stated the Jaguar was a monster for its time, but admitted it was very difficult to manipulate it properly (Like the Saturn, I suppose).

There is actually a blog/document/interview you can find on the web (I think it's over at the AtariAge forums) where he talks all about his time working on Jaguar DOOM. It's always interesting to hear him talk about his experiences with making these games, and his hurdles with them. He actually still does this with his recent iPhone releases, which is pretty cool, so if you're interested in that sort of thing, definitely check them out. Not many programmers/designers do that these days, IIRC.

It's still interesting to think what kinds of games we would have got on the Jaguar (and likewise, 3DO) if more people like Carmack worked on these platforms on a regular basis..

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:56 pm

From what I understand the Jags architecture allowed Carmack to interface directly to the hardware, which he liked. The 3DO and perhaps others, insisted that you interfaced to the OS, which talked to the hardware. Which means as a developer you are at the mercy of libraries and support by the manufacturer. When talking to the hardware 'neat' you aren't. Helps to be a genius too.
Last edited by 3DOKid on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:05 pm

3DOKid wrote:Nope. Carmack was a Jag Fanboy and wrote the Jaguar version himself, and because, apparently, the consoles of the day (Saturn, PS1, 3DO, etc) weren't up to it, they all got ported from the actually pretty good, jag version. For my money the Jag version is better than the PC version. It feels better and handles better (IMHO) but obviously doesn't have all the same monsters and levels than the PC version.
Plus it doesn't have modding or online play.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Austin wrote:
UK3DOFAN wrote:

Well, not entirely true.. For one, Carmack is a programming genius, clearly working his magic on the Jag version.. I'm not sure how much of a hand he had in the other non-Jag/32X versions; Second, he has stated the Jaguar was a monster for its time, but admitted it was very difficult to manipulate it properly (Like the Saturn, I suppose).

There is actually a blog/document/interview you can find on the web (I think it's over at the AtariAge forums) where he talks all about his time working on Jaguar DOOM. It's always interesting to hear him talk about his experiences with making these games, and his hurdles with them. He actually still does this with his recent iPhone releases, which is pretty cool, so if you're interested in that sort of thing, definitely check them out. Not many programmers/designers do that these days, IIRC.

It's still interesting to think what kinds of games we would have got on the Jaguar (and likewise, 3DO) if more people like Carmack worked on these platforms on a regular basis..
That is pretty cool. One question though, what does IIRC mean?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:41 pm

It would have been faster if you had just told me instead of linking to Google.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:44 pm

not as funny though.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:45 pm

3DOKid wrote:not as funny though.
True.
So it means "If I Remember Correctly"?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:53 pm

usually it does.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:54 pm

3DOKid wrote:usually it does.
Yep. Or apparently "If I Read Correctly"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Does anyone else think that there is a factory out there, somewhere, making these for us, or do you reckon Google has been perverted somewhow?

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:58 pm

3DOKid wrote:Does anyone else think that there is a factory out there, somewhere, making these for us, or do you reckon Google has been perverted somewhow?
A factory making Doom games for the 3DO?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:03 pm

yes, our doom.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:04 pm

3DOKid wrote:yes, our doom.
Oh.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Lightning wrote:Plus it doesn't have modding or online play.
What doesn't?
Lightning wrote:It would have been faster if you had just told me instead of linking to Google.
It would have been faster if you had Googled it instead of asking.
3DOKid wrote:yes, our doom.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:30 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
Lightning wrote:Plus it doesn't have modding or online play.
What doesn't?
The Jaguar version.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:41 pm

ah

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:43 pm

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:10 am

I love that! It's been so long and people are still making DOOM mods. I should get the files for that one and do a DreamCast port.

avanteproject
3DO ZERO USER

Post by avanteproject » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:15 am

Totally! Doom is a game that will live on forever! People will still be playing and modding it when the Playstation 37 and XBOX 4,746,003 come out.
Proud owner of a 3DO FZ-1!