You aren't alone!

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

You aren't alone!

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:10 am

Apparently there's another 3DO fansite! Check it out: http://www.3dotoday.com/Forums/index.php

Oh, and I made my own forum too! Here's mine: http://pcannon.x10hosting.com/forums/fo ... hp?fid=659

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:24 am

Yup, they aren't the only one but everyone else besides us is kinda dead. It's too bad the 3DO fanbase isn't big enough for more than one site of forums. :(
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:37 am

3DO Experience wrote:Yup, they aren't the only one but everyone else besides us is kinda dead. It's too bad the 3DO fanbase isn't big enough for more than one site of forums. :(
True. I'm trying to get a larger 3DO community at mine. So far, we got two people who actually know what the 3DO is...

UK3DOFAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UK3DOFAN » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:41 am

Yup, they aren't the only one but everyone else besides us is kinda dead. It's too bad the 3DO fanbase isn't big enough for more than one site of forums.
Yes its a complete travesty isn't it how unappreciated the 3DO is and was even during its life, makes me mad that jaguar forums are much busier when it was one of the worst consoles of the time released 1993 onwards, only better than the Amiga CD32 technically(not including add ons) but still the CD32 games catalogue is better, i think the jaguar only had a better software line up than the 32X and that was just an add on not a completely new console.
3DO 4 Life!

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:49 am

UK3DOFAN wrote:
Yup, they aren't the only one but everyone else besides us is kinda dead. It's too bad the 3DO fanbase isn't big enough for more than one site of forums.
Yes its a complete travesty isn't it how unappreciated the 3DO is and was even during its life, makes me mad that jaguar forums are much busier when it was one of the worst consoles of the time released 1993 onwards, only better than the Amiga CD32 technically(not including add ons) but still the CD32 games catalogue is better, i think the jaguar only had a better software line up than the 32X and that was just an add on not a completely new console.
If it wasn't for the Jaguar being cracked about ten years ago, I think the scene would have died down much like the 3DO scene has. Of course, we all know that could turn around very shortly.. :) ..anyways, homebrew is really what has kept the Jaguar alive and well, IMO.

As far as bashing the Jag, you know it's all about opinion.. I wouldn't personally say it's a bad system. I quite like it, actually. However, I've been noticing lately that many 3DO games are holding up better today than many Jaguar titles are. I think that's partially a benefit of the 3DO getting some excellent, enhanced ports of other platforms' games (Out of This World, for instance).. Not to say the Jaguar doesn't have that, either, but the 3DO definitely has more of it that holds up better.

UK3DOFAN
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UK3DOFAN » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Well after doing some searching on the net i found this very interesting thread i think the guy called Michael Helgeson sums it up better than i could, the 3DO simply had a much better games catalogue than the Jaguar.

Wow,Im finally able to post. Last time I checked I couldn't.. At any rate someone on the 3DO forum pointed this thread out,and alot of good points are made defending all 3 of the systems. In the end,it sometimes comes down to personal taste alot of the time too but even then there is no denying your fav of the 3 may not actually be the best. Im siding with the 3DO. This is my main list of titles I can come up with off the top of my head (still alot missing off the list) that I really love for the 3DO that really help keep the system on top with me,and many others:

Need for Speed
Twisted
Zhadnost: The People's Party
Road Rash
Crash and Burn
Mega Race
Wing Commander 3,Heart of the Tiger
Out of this World
Flashback (has CG story scenes and better audio then the Jaguar, and controls better)
Guardian War
Wolfenstien (the 3DO version is the best. The music kicks ass. All the levels are there ,superior audio, it controls better, and the graphics are better then the Jag period.)
P'oed
Myst
Killing Time
Super Wing Commander
Pheonix 3
Shockwave
Shockwave 2:Beyound the Gate.
Tetsujin 1 and 2 AKA Iron Angel of the Apocalypse and,The Return
Burning Soldier
Star Blade
Off World Interceptor
Strahl
Syndicate
Trip'D
Theme park
Alone in the Dark 1 and 2
Star Control 2
Battle Chess
Space Hulk
Super SF 2 Turbo
Policenauts
Lucienne's Quest
Return Fire an Maps of Death Add on
Novastorm
Microcosm
Primal Rage (far better then the 32X and Jag CD ports in every way)
Royal Pro Wrestling
Princess Maker
Quarantine
Ultraman Powered
Montana Jones
Way of the Warrior
Blade Force
Samurai Shodown
Gex
Yu Yu Hakusho
Bust a Move
Capt. Quazar
D
Hell
Gridders
Sailor Moon
Demolition Man
Dragons Lair
The Horde

Im going to say too,yes the very first revision control pad with the FZ-1 wasn't the best. It def wasn't cheap,but the thumb pad was stiff and had issues, as was the Goldstar pad. Later Panasonic revisions do not have this problem. None of the official pads really felt cheap nor broke easy.

That all used the same types of ABS plastic and rubber as any other solid pad for other systems. I never had a single one break on me,nor on anyone I knew who used them heavily. Now the cheap third party pads,those tended to feel kinda cheap and broke down,but so did those same partys pads for other systems too, nothing new.

I like the Jaguar and 32X both alot. There are titles on them both I really enjoy,but in the end nothing on those systems other then a few of the titles on Jag can actually compete visually or audio wise with the 3DO (Doom, Wolfenstien, AVP, Ultra Vortek,not many others....). The 32X got some really great titles but is a no go on trying to be on the same level as the 3DO. To close this post I am posting a bunch of pics of 3DO titles during gameplay.

How I feel about it is this,you want to say the Jag or 32X was better,then their selection should be able to stand toe to toe with these games and its clear they cant. Since neither system did,it is pretty clear the 3DO was the best of the 3 in overall selection and system ability, hands down. Even if you hate the system for what ever personal reasons,it simply had the best and most games of the 3,and offered the best visual/audio experience.
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?p=100775

Also check out a quote from one member which i completely agree with :)

I do own a Jaguar, but I just picked it up at a thrift store for $9.99 in the box along with a copy of Tempest 2000 in the box for the simple reason of flipping it. I must admit that now that I have one I really underestimated how crappy this thing really is. Everything about it screams cheap, Cybermorph is a horrendous game and I have Tempest 2000 for the Saturn anyway...though it is noticeably inferior on the Saturn it still retains the excellent game play which is all that matters.

Yes the graphics of the 3DO hold up much better than the Jag, alot of games were ported to the PS1 and Saturn from the 3DO, and apart from better frame rates on those machines they played and looked almost the same apart from maybe NFS, only one Jag title was converted to them and yes Tempest 2000 i must admit is a great game on the Saturn that i played it on.
3DO 4 Life!

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:15 pm

You aren't alone, guys! Russian 3DO community is still alive =) It's not so good as your community, but we're are trying to live. Now, we are waiting 3DO IDE adapter from Mnemonic, that will be released in near future.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Silentman wrote:You aren't alone, guys! Russian 3DO community is still alive =) It's not so good as your community, but we're are trying to live. Now, we are waiting 3DO IDE adapter from Mnemonic, that will be released in near future.
I'd join and help you out, really, I would. I want to. But I don't speak Russian, sorry. If you offered a translation, then perhaps I'd consider it.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Silentman wrote:You aren't alone, guys! Russian 3DO community is still alive =) It's not so good as your community, but we're are trying to live. Now, we are waiting 3DO IDE adapter from Mnemonic, that will be released in near future.
i don't know, you guys are responsible for some amazing breakthroughs.

Lightning
Who's Trip Hawkins?

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:46 pm

3DOKid wrote:
i don't know, you guys are responsible for some amazing breakthroughs.
Software or hardware breakthroughs?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:20 pm

UK3DOFAN wrote:...I think the guy called Michael Helgeson...
hmmm now why does that sound familiar? :shock:

Actually I missed the whole thing with him, was away when it occurred. To this day I still don't know what happened.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"