TurboGrafx-16: My Preecioussss...

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

TurboGrafx-16: My Preecioussss...

Post by Auto-Fox » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:27 pm

So, fellow collectors, as of two days ago I am pleased to announce I have acquired a TurboGrafx-16, finally completing my collection of all the major players in the 16-bit wars.
Makes meh HAPPEH.
I got it for $89 at the "local" (and by that I mean an hour away, New Hampshire is a DEAD ZONE for retro game collecting) independent used game store. I went in hoping to get an Atari Jaguar, and they had one, but no power supplies in sight (they think they had accidentally sold it with a Model 1 Sega Genesis, since the AC adapters look almost identical), so I got a Turbo instead.
With it I got three games: Blazing Lazers, Raiden, and Double Dungeons.
Double Dungeons was an accident on my part. I don't even LIKE RPGs, and it's a terrible game anyway. But the game came without the box and the font on the card looked very similar to Double DRAGON.
Oh well, at least I didn't pay much for it. I'm hoping to return in soon, with a Genesis game I also bought that turned out to be broken.
Don't get me wrong though! This store has a pretty good track record with me so far. They're great people to do business with.
In any case, I'm still quite happy with my purchase. Both Raiden and Blazing Lazers are excellent, and I'm very, very happy to finally have a TG-16.
The system itself is great. It's small, surprisingly well built (solid textured plastic case, console can be moved around while playing a game), the design is nice... it outputs RF audio and video better than any console I've owned so far (though I plan to get a Turbo Booster as soon as I can find one).
Personally, I think it's the best looking out of all the 16-bitters. The case is nice and slim, and it can fit pretty much anywhere. It doesn't really heat up like some consoles, so it can tolerate confined spaces.
Actually, I can't seem to find any real ventilation of any kind, those ridges on the top seem to be just for show. This is also good, it probably means this machine is as good as hermetically sealed against dust.
Single controller port, though, which sucks. I'll have to find the TurboTap soon.
So, people, I'm enjoying this thing a lot so far. Anything else I should know about it, though?
Also, importantly, what games do you recommend I get for this thing? Bear in mind, I like shooters, that's primarily why I got it in the first place.
"C'mon, let's go give somebody a bad day!"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Cool. We demand pictures ;)

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Auto-Fox » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:51 pm

'Fraid you'll have to wait. I don't have a camera at my disposal.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:25 pm

I have a TG-16 for sale for either $60 or $80, can't remember. They sell somewhat infrequently, however whenever I get a Turbo Duo they sell immediately at $200.

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Auto-Fox » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:01 pm

Sounds about right. TurboDuos aren't exactly thick on the ground, and they're more desirable than the standard TurboGrafx.
There are only a handful of games for the Turbo CD I'm interested in, though, so it's not REALLY a priority for me at the moment.
I AM, however, desperately searching for a TurboBooster. The RF output on this thing is nice, but not THAT nice.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Auto-Fox wrote:Sounds about right. TurboDuos aren't exactly thick on the ground, and they're more desirable than the standard TurboGrafx.
There are only a handful of games for the Turbo CD I'm interested in, though, so it's not REALLY a priority for me at the moment.
I AM, however, desperately searching for a TurboBooster. The RF output on this thing is nice, but not THAT nice.

Damn. I just sold a TurboBooster on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. However, it was just the TurboBooster, not the TurboBooster Plus.

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Auto-Fox » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Ah, that's too bad, I would've taken it off your hands anyway.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:46 pm

You mention in the first post how diminutive the system is and it's true, it is very slender.

It's funny then that the CD add-on was packaged in the most excessively large boxing "system" I have ever seen with anything having to do with home video gaming.

I just sold this thing a few weeks ago too. It's like 2 1/2 feet tall and close to 30 pounds :!:
Just for a CD add-on :shock:

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 pm

NEC decided early on that "bigger is better" as far as the American market was concerned. It might actually have worked if the 16-bit market wasn't so entrenched already, as it was similar to the hardcore marketing stance Sony took in the PS1 days. Not quite as balls-out crazy as Sony took it, but the same general direction.

If I had given up on Nintendo's rehash mania earlier in life, I might have gotten one.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:26 pm

I want a PC Engine to play Splatter House and R-Type. That is all.

I'll pay shipping too. Sell me something Vance, sell me something.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:56 pm

Only have a handful of TG16 and CD games left, neither of them that.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:10 am

bitrate wrote:YI just sold this thing a few weeks ago too. It's like 2 1/2 feet tall and close to 30 pounds :!:
Why didn't you sell it here, I would have bought it. :cry:
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:15 am

3DO Experience wrote:
bitrate wrote:YI just sold this thing a few weeks ago too. It's like 2 1/2 feet tall and close to 30 pounds :!:
Why didn't you sell it here, I would have bought it. :cry:

That's a shame.
I had no idea you collected for TG-16 as well. I knew that you liked 3DO and Nintendo (I believe).
I'm still selling some things (non 3DO of course :wink: ), and as I sort through things I'll let you know if I see anything interesting. I believe I have a loose CD unit and I'll let you know if it surfaces.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:05 am

Loose is fine as I have nothing TG-16 with box. As long as it has all the hook-ups. Let the fans have the minty boxed stuff.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Damn too late - I am always after PC Engine stuff too! Best console version of R-type hands down. Have heaps of CD's but no CDrom extension to play them with......yet :wink:
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:22 am

mattyg wrote:Damn too late - I am always after PC Engine stuff too! Best console version of R-type hands down.
Yep, its port of R-Type is excellent. The Super CD release in Japan is even better. :D

Bitrate, how much did you sell that CD unit for? I'm curious what the going value is these days. I'd like to buy one, but it would have to be in the kind of condition pictured above.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Austin wrote: Bitrate, how much did you sell that CD unit for? I'm curious what the going value is these days. I'd like to buy one, but it would have to be in the kind of condition pictured above.

It ended at $338 plus shipping.

I didn't really like letting it go, but I needed some room around here and that thing was huge.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:17 pm

LOL I was looking for a part in the "game room" and I found a box for my TG-16. Not in the best condition but I didn't know I had one!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Imagine all the undiscovered treasures waiting for you to find them ... when you finally finish organizing your game room. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:37 pm

I have so much stuff I need to trade too. I keep finding extra games and consoles. How many Super NES's can one girl have??