Shockwave Assault on the... Apple Pippin?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Shockwave Assault on the... Apple Pippin?

Post by klogg » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 pm

I found this page with photos of an obscure (at least for me) version of Shock Wave Assault for the Apple / Bandai Pippin.

I had no idea that this game was released for the system. Apparently it is based on the PSX/Saturn version of the game, but without the ugly eternal black sky from these versions.

Apparently runs on a better resolution and the cockpit provides a false sense of 3D, better than the 3DO.

I had never heard of this game, some of you have ever seen it running? Is it good?
Last edited by klogg on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DO Brazil website (in portuguese): http://www.3dobrasil.com.br

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:57 pm

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Shockwave Assault on the... Apple Pippin?

Post by bonefish » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:42 am

klogg wrote: Apparently runs on a better resolution and the cockpit provides a false sense of 3D, better than the 3DO.
... How dare you...

:wink:

I miss Shockwave.

klogg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by klogg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:24 pm

It hurts me to write such a thing... but look to that screenshot. It's better. And the Tripod appears to use better textures, too. :oops:

BTW.. EA should bring us the original games with improved graphics on the XBOX Live Arcade or PS Network. :shock:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:34 pm

I not too long ago found a Pippin for sale with box. I want one but I have no clue what something like that is actually worth.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 am

3DO Experience wrote:I not too long ago found a Pippin for sale with box. I want one but I have no clue what something like that is actually worth.
$10 ;)

i have no clue but i passed on one for $10 it was loose and i was already out of the collecting game
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:28 am

Between 600 and 900 US boxed in mint condition - I kid you not
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:29 am

Wow, I have never seen a Pippin in the box.. Very nice. How many games were released on this thing? :o

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:49 pm

3DÖ
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 3DÖ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Heres vid of shockwave in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25WdGh3-wKg

It should be noted that about 80/90% of all Pippin games run just fine on a normal Mac from 1996-1999~.

Super Marathon is one of the few games that require a Pippin, it could probably be hacked to run on a normal Mac but theres really no scene for that sort of stuff on the Mac so I don't see it happening within this century;).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 am

@3DOExp, Lemmi, and anyone who else who stumble upon a Pippin ... buy it, pm me, and make a profit. :)

Speaking of Pippin's, Scottie Pippen was recently elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:40 am

Ignore Trev everyone and pm me if you find one - seriously................ :wink:

You only have to observe his tastes in basketball to know he does not deserve one .

Kobe Bryant is legend!
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:24 am

Wow, are those actual selling prices or just e-bay wishful thinking prices?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:34 am

I think eBay sellers are getting jealous of the ripoff artistes on Amazon.

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CRV » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:13 am

Shockwave Assault was released on the Mac. Is it the same as the Pippin version?

Chris Conway of EA talks about porting it here. He also talks about what happened to the ports of Shockwave 2. (They were cancelled.) The Mac version was eventually released.

3DÖ
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 3DÖ » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 pm

CRV wrote:Shockwave Assault was released on the Mac. Is it the same as the Pippin version?

Chris Conway of EA talks about porting it here. He also talks about what happened to the ports of Shockwave 2. (They were cancelled.) The Mac version was eventually released.
Yes, Pippin is basically a Mac in a box,kinda like comparing Amiga CD32 VS Amiga 1200 so alot of games work just fine and were marketed as Pippin/Macintosh compatible.

JimmyCDi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JimmyCDi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:58 pm

I have shockwave for the pippin and have compared it to other console versions.

+Pippin version runs pretty choppy on high-res full screen mode but the graphics look much nicer than the other console versions. Almost to the point that you're willing to endure the horrible chopiness to see the nice graphics :P
+There is no chopiness if you run it in hi-res full screen mode and draw every other line, but I'm not quite sure what that does :oops:
+Pippin version is pretty much identical to the 3DO version with low-res full screen mode @ 256 colors.
+Pippin version uses translucent explosions which makes them look much nicer than the other console versions.
+In some cases the pippin textures are a little nicer and animated (such as the blinking lights on the towers).
+Pippin version uses the same colorful skies as the 3DO version, not the black skies found in the other console versions.

I would not run out to buy a pippin just for shockwave, but its a necessary game if you own the system. Too bad it was not optimized better for the pippin to run @ 30FPS at hi-res full screen mode...