Factory sealed 3DO games

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Factory sealed 3DO games

Post by Silentman » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Some time ago I bought japanese D that was shrinkwraped, but all japanese games that I see at eBay mostly have tear strip. Does it mean that my D is resealed?

I think that:

US longboxed releases: shrinkwraped
US bundle releases: Y-folded
EU releases: mostly shrinkwraped, some games Y-folded
Japan releases: mostly have tear strip, some games shrinkwraped?

Am I right?

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Yes, it depends on the game.
Some Japanese 3DO games were shrinkwrapped (D, D Director's Cut, etc.). Most Japanese games were sealed with tear strip/y-fold.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:39 pm

You really have to beware. Re-shrinkwrapping games has become very popular among evil-bayers. Some of them are obvious others are so good most wouldn't even notice. I've even seem some go so far as to age them and put in tears.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:13 am

If I sneak into a factory and quick seal the box.... factory sealed?

While we are on the subject... What do you do with a complete factory sealed set?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:28 am

I can solid seal games with a large degree of precision, which is what I do when I empty shelf copies of the disc and don't want people to tear the manuals in half or otherwise mar what are still technically "new" copies. All it takes is a $200 shrinkwrap machine and not being a cheapskate on the specific wrap sleeves.

So yeah, beware.

Two bonus stories from this unscrupulous Korean wholesaler who would check Amazon and try to sell used-as-new for crazy amounts of money the idiots on Amazon want:

"Oh, this game very rare! It $150! Brand new!" "The re-seal just fell apart." "No, it new. See, look at disc!" "That's a very nice disc, but that game is .hack 4 and that manual is for Castlevania: Lament of Innocence."

Another time. "I sell you this Shenmue brand new! Very rare!" and the re-seal has about 60% extra wrap material that was pulled out of the wire so roughly that the extra wrap has bubbled and burnt.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:17 am

BryWI wrote:If I sneak into a factory and quick seal the box.... factory sealed?

While we are on the subject... What do you do with a complete factory sealed set?
I could never quite grasp that myself. The second I buy a game, I'm tearing it open before I even get to the car. 8)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:27 am

They are trying to rip off collectors. How many copies of D am I going to see "still sealed" on ebay? Some of them even use the kind of material you can shrink with a hair drier... really some people know no bounds.

One easy tip-off is people like this seller. ooo 3DO games still in the plastic. You zoom in and they look legit. So look to see what other games he might have... oh my EVERY game he has including ones for other systems is "BRAND NEW & FACTORY SEALED" I wonder how that happened. Sometimes people will be selling old 'new stock' from a store so they will have a bunch, the easy way to tell if that's the case is they will have multiple copies of the same game. If they have just one of each be weary.

Basically if you see a game from the 90's that is going for too much and it just happens to be sealed it's most likely fake. And yes sometimes they will only have the box so they will stick in any old scratched up CD and manual they have sitting around because they don't expect you to open such a rare and valuable item.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:50 am

The big thing for me is cheap sealing wires. One side of the package is probably splitting at the seam. In the above .hack instance, the wrap basically split in half the moment we touched it.

In one case, a major wholesaler who you'd think wouldn't want to risk fraud charges, there was a "new" copy of Nuclear Strike on the PS1... the back insert didn't have the inside graphic. When you make a forgery that convincing, you'd think the person would go to the trouble of filling in the space that's supposed to say GREATEST HITS. It wasn't even COLORED. It was just dead white space.

It's Gamequest, by the way. Just in case any of you come across it and feel like ordering. They maintain a division called Crescent Marketing or somesuch.

Silentman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silentman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:34 am

bitrate wrote:Yes, it depends on the game.
Most Japanese games were sealed with tear strip/y-fold.
Y-fold? Can you show me any japanese 3DO game sealed with Y-fold? I haven't seen it yet :oops:

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:18 am

Silentman wrote:
Y-fold? Can you show me any japanese 3DO game sealed with Y-fold? I haven't seen it yet :oops:

Sure. I'll see if I can get at some tomorrow after work.

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:56 pm

so what is shenmue worth sealed i have afew unopened copies, and some other dc games.
i have a few that the case is cracked. iam sure those lost their value?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:08 pm

New and sealed, Shenmue is probably worth something to people who want to keep the misery remaining sealed and not unleashed on the world. You might check with the Samaritans.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:12 pm

Silentman wrote:

Quick question. Were you referring to y-fold with tear strip, or y-fold without tear strip?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Oh no. I'm learning things about shrink wrap by osmosis.

I am the worst person in the world. I rip the shrink wrap from factory sealed games faster than a fat kid with a Mars bar. I then immediately seperate the manual, disc, and case, and only reunite them months later. Tatty, torn and scratched. Something in my nature.