Import games - pearls of wisdom.

Those old stickies are chilling out here.
mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 am

bump

still waiting.....................its almost like a freeDO countdown :wink:
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I have this. It's not really a game it's a floor planner for the 3DO so you can design a house as far as I can tell. It's all in Japanese and not very interesting. But here's the title screen for you.
Someday...

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:12 pm

What kind of game is Balzerion? I'm curious because it seems to be pretty common (It's on eBay for cheap).

Also, while not exclusive to Japan, I imported Escape From Monster Manor. The Japanese version has some cool box art, and asides from a few extra bits of Japanese text on the main menus and intro, the game is the same as the US version. It even uses your US save files.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Belzerion is quite a cool game actually, that blends a few different styles. It has 1st person bits somewhat similar to the iron angel games, but better. It also has some cool 1st person fights. Some point n click fills in the down times, And lots of cut scenes too. :wink:

It is very english friendly also , despite having little english text. I managed to finish it. I think it is certainly among the better 3DO imports, certainly one of the most playable. And like you said, it is readily available at a fair price. I recommend it.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Hm, interesting. Maybe I will think about it. I ended up checking out some videos, but the hefty amount of cutscenes (that I would most-likely not understand even if I tried) is the main deterrent. Well, it's not expensive, maybe $15 *tops* after shipping.. We'll see if I can keep my eBay Buy-It-Now trigger-finger in-check, haha..

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 am

I got an "Invasion of the body snatchers" vibe from watching the cut scenes.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:01 am

I decided to pass on Belzerion.. Maybe next payday if the 3DO is still hooked up. Which it probably will be, because I bought Doctor Hauzer instead. :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 pm

If the 3DO is still hooked up ...? Shame on you! :evil:

:wink:

Doctor Hauzer is a great choice, its on of my fav imports. Have fun! :)

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:40 pm

Trev wrote:If the 3DO is still hooked up ...? Shame on you! :evil:

:wink:

Doctor Hauzer is a great choice, its on of my fav imports. Have fun! :)
Haha, yeah, I don't have much room (Nor do I have as much time to play as I would like), so I cycle my systems in and out when I feel like playing them.

And yeah, people here mention Doctor Hauzer quite a bit, and I've read your review on it a few times. I recall watching a video on YouTube a year or so ago and remember being impressed--or at least intrigued--by the Alone In the Dark-like style. I was also under the assumption it was really rare or something, and had a bit of a "WTF" moment when I saw it on eBay last night (I've been searching by "3DO Import" a lot just to see what cheap, obscure Japanese games come up that I haven't heard of or played). Anyways, it was fairly cheap coming from a Japanese seller that normally jacks up the prices on rare items, so it must not be all that uncommon overseas. :)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:54 pm

heh i dont have any videogame systems hooked up to any TVs over here ;)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:16 am

Not sure where this should go, but there is a sealed Doctor Hauzer on the 'Bay right now. Ends in less than a day: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MEBIDX:IT

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Too late... Austin, why... in this topic ;(

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:24 am

lol, sorry..

It ended up going for about $25, I believe.. Not too shabby. I think I paid just slightly less than that for my used copy.

**Edit: Hey, what do you know? There's a used copy available right now, for auction. No bids, currently at $1 USD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Doctor-hauzer-panas ... 27b8b4d398

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:08 am

Austin wrote:lol, sorry..

It ended up going for about $25, I believe.. Not too shabby. I think I paid just slightly less than that for my used copy.

**Edit: Hey, what do you know? There's a used copy available right now, for auction. No bids, currently at $1 USD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Doctor-hauzer-panas ... 27b8b4d398

I knew Pitsunami wasn't a serious 3DO collector... he's getting rid of his collection :D

TEKTORO
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TEKTORO » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:13 am

Virtual Cameraman-Having to convience the lovely ladies to allow you to take pictures of them can be tough..Unless your thinking like I was and map out a dialogue tree!-3

Playability-trial and error with persistance is key-3

I would say this game is moderate at picking it up and playing it,mainly anyone buying this will probably do their best to get to the good stuff which would be worth the effort.Now if I could only speak the language,I could only imagine what is being said!
Here to stay.. ;)

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:17 am

Trev wrote:Montana Jones - Uneven mix of genres w/platforming sections being the highlight. Animated Indiana Jones like critters
I spent some time with this today. It probably deserves a 3 on accessibility and a 4 on playability. You don't know exactly what's going on, but it's easy enough to get the gist of what you're meant to do, and menus are mostly (all?) in English. A fansub or fan-dub of this would be great -- not that it's a great game, because it doesn't seem likely to be, but it's certainly playable.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:30 am

Also, one that hasn't been mentioned:

Aqua World: Umibi Monogatari

Accessibility: 5. Almost everything's in English, except for a few Japanese-language info screens in the "Data Fish" mode. The English text at the beginning goes by very fast.

Playability: 5, but it's basically not a game. I've posted a review if anyone wants more information.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Re:

Post by goldenband » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Another one that deserves a mention (and which I've reviewed in the 3DO Game Reviews sub-forum):

[b]Peter Frankl: Tower of Puzzle[/b] (or Puzzle Pagoda)

[b][u]Accessibility[/u]:[/b] 5. No problems whatsoever, since there's an English option for the entire game -- spoken dialogue and menus. The only untranslated text is a splash screen you see after completing your three levels of coursework (i.e. beating the game three times) to get the final ending.

[b][u]Playability[/u]:[/b] 5. No issues at all, outside of a couple of irritating bugs. Full review [url=http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3320]here[/url].

EDIT: Why isn't BBCode working?

vampyre mike
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Import games - pearls of wisdom.

Post by vampyre mike » Tue May 05, 2015 7:11 pm

This is great, thank you so much for this thread. =)

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:52 am

May as well bump this, took me a little while to find the thread through search. Lots of good info here.

Oh wait, I'm an idiot.. It was stickied. Just not in the sub-forum I thought it would be in. Ha!

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 am

[b]Testing[/b] to see if BBCode will work in this post...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Looks like it didn't

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:22 am

[quote=a31chris post_id=40484 time=1503682865 user_id=907]
Looks like it didn't
[/quote]

Yeah, for some reason BBCode broke after my Aqua World post (as you can see from my failed attempt to quote you). Any ideas why? Is everyone else also unable to use bold/italic/etc. in their new posts in this thread, or is it just me?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:21 pm

[quote=goldenband post_id=40485 time=1503703326 user_id=773]
[quote=a31chris post_id=40484 time=1503682865 user_id=907]
Looks like it didn't
[/quote]

Yeah, for some reason BBCode broke after my Aqua World post (as you can see from my failed attempt to quote you). Any ideas why? Is everyone else also unable to use bold/italic/etc. in their new posts in this thread, or is it just me?
[/quote]

When I post in this thread, the BBCode buttons are missing, and to the right of the text editor it says:

"BBCode is OFF
Smilies are OFF"