Video Game Addict?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Do you think you are a video game addict?

I might be.
47%
Yes, definitely!
20%
No, not really.
33%

Total votes: 15

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Video Game Addict?

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:04 am

I was sitting around with friends watching anime for 3 hours, and for two of those hours all I could think about was video games. I think I am a video game addict.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:38 am

I have an addictive nature, or better put, weak self control.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:07 am

Well I voted yes, I assume you did too. So who voted maybe?

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:49 am

i voted "No, not really" because there wasnt a "I used to be" option :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 am

3DO Experience wrote:Well I voted yes, I assume you did too. So who voted maybe?
I voted might be. It's hard to tell with so many other addictions.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:56 pm

I voted maybe. I dont think I am addicted to video games as much as I am addicted to having time to do what I want. A lot of the time that is video games. I guess im just selfish for me time, and it gets worse when I have job. Had to quit my last job becuase i was working 55+ hours a week. That didnt go to well with me after a while. I had no downtime.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:42 pm

BryWI took the words right out of my mouth. I also am selfish for free time. Ture that videogames do occupy much of that time (as much a my wife will allow anyway :wink: ), but I also had to vote maybe. One thing that tipped my vote ... I'm selling some consoles/games that I don't play much for cash. If I was a true addict, I don't think I'd part w/anything.

Now if the question was "Are you a 3DO addict?" I'd have to vote yes. :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:42 pm

I don't know.. The only thing that comes to mind right now is that if I was watching anime for three hours, I would have been thinking about videogames, too.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Video Game Addict?

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:52 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I was sitting around with friends watching anime for 3 hours, and for two of those hours all I could think about was video games. I think I am a video game addict.
What anime was it?

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm addicted to collecting but not playing, Sometimes I just like to look at the artwork. I'm a bit weird I guess :shock:

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Yeah I think some people are indeed more addicted to the collecting part of it than the playing part. I know sometimes when I want to play a game, I have just as much fun pulling games out, looking at the boxes, making sure every game is all lined up properly on the shelves and just generally dicking around without playing a single game. Sometimes. Usually I pull one or several off the shelf and play like a madman for several hours.

Yes, I am addicted to video games.

Even if I am not playing on one of my consoles I am on my Genesis Nomad or Nintendo DS jamming away on the buttons.

And if I don't have a handheld in my hand, I'll be on the computer, and usually a game will be loaded up - most likely a Facebook game like Mafia Wars.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:31 am

I am partly addicted to collecting, but mainly to playing.

The collecting part of me is only drawn to complete games with boxes, manuals, inserts, etc... Burned games are so ugly to look at without a cool label. :P

But I can't just own a game to own it. I must play it, and if it is a game I know I'll never play than its gone to make room for one I will. Having games still factory sealed has always seemed rather odd to me.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Video Game Addict?

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:43 am

3DOKid wrote:What anime was it?
Galaxy Angel, Solty Rei, Vandread, Eden of the East, When They Cry. I know that last one doesn't match the others much but it's really messed up. Don't watch it with the lights out.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:16 pm

Trev wrote:I am partly addicted to collecting, but mainly to playing.

The collecting part of me is only drawn to complete games with boxes, manuals, inserts, etc... Burned games are so ugly to look at without a cool label. :P

But I can't just own a game to own it. I must play it, and if it is a game I know I'll never play than its gone to make room for one I will. Having games still factory sealed has always seemed rather odd to me.
I am the same way. I open factory sealed games. I still have quite a few factory sealed 3DO games that I need to open up.

I am about quality and not quantity myself. I would have several thousand games by now if I didn't sell off the ones that I didn't personally enjoy. Every so often I will pick through my collection and pull out the stuff that I just didn't like.

tinman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by tinman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:11 pm

I put "I might be" but I really feel I'm in more of a gray area between "I might be" and "No not really".

I consider video games to be a hobby, and with hobbies you really want some quantity and quality of time to really submerge yourself into. Working a 9 day on 5 day off roster allows me 5 days to spend playing games, and during the 9 day on 12 hour working day stints I do think about playing video games alot, however when it comes to the 5 days off all I want to do is vege out.

The other thing is getting to that point in a game where it captures your imagination and attention. Some games do it early "Blazing angels" for the Xbox is an example for me. Others it is a war of attrition. I recently finished the original "Halo" the other day...I started it in 2006 and have dabbled in playing it since that time and it took at least to get through 5/8th to 3/4ers of it before I found myself looking desperately for the time to play it and finish it. In this mood I feel that I'm addicted.

Current 3do games I'm playing are Bladeforce and Icebreaker 1, with the later getting most of the attention. My beloved 3do sits beside the telly covered in a makeshift dustcover waiting for me to play it. When I do, I have a regular ritual of cleaning around and under the 3do the dust that has gathered there from otherwise neglected cleaning activities. I put the power socket in the wall, clean the screen of the CRT from kids fingerprints, tongue and face prints and or dust...get a hot drink and settle into the corner of the settee. After playing I give the unit 10-30 minutes to cool down and then do the reverse except for the cleaning part. Ohh and before taking out a CD out of its case or picking up the controller I wash my hands. I must have OCD :shock:

The xbox and wii downstairs gets none of this type of attention however. :P

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:09 am

I am sitting at an empty bar on Thanksgiving, drinking by myself. Note that I am still posting on this forum as I down a crap American brew.

I must be an addict in more ways than one.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:18 pm

Only when it comes to special games (Fallout, WipEout, Elder Scrolls).
Usually I'm addicted to reading, photos, mountain dew.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:05 am

I gave it a might be. I do alot of stuff other than playing games, but I do own 12 consoles that are always connected in the living room, and I did just spend the better part of an afternoon writing up a comparison between killing time and a beta version...so I am sitting on the fence

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:39 am

New question ... Are you a Killing Time addict? :wink: