3DO FZ1 - bullet proof?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

3DO FZ1 - bullet proof?

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:44 pm

My FZ-1 is 14 years old and runs absolutely fine. Never a hickup. I have, in total, 6 FZ1s and they all work great. CD lens, tray, RAM, ROM the lot -great. In less time I've killed 2 PSXs and a PS2 and a DC. And my 3DO gets a proper hammering in comparison.

Now - I'd like to say it's down to Japanese engineering - but my PAL FZ-1 may be Panasonic (Matsushita) designed buts Fabrique en France.

Has anyone ever seen one of these fail?

I have often considered turning a broken one into some sort of 'Art' but I don't have the stomach to ruin a working one. (They are all special you know!)

3DO kid.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Back when I worked at Game Dude, we got a total of One 3DO FZ-1 in for repair. This is several years ago as they do not do repairs anymore, but in the same span of time, we got several Goldstar units in. I have seen two FZ-1 units fail, one was because the laser got scratched by an idiot cleaning it with a toothbrush! :roll:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:58 pm

i knew a guy who turned an FZ-1 into a modern computer (modern for 2003)

and the only problems ive heard from FZ1's are the fuse's blowing, its been awhile but a guy on atariage had a problem that replacing the fuse didnt work because everytime he found a fuse the system would blow it up

he tried to get a whole Power supply unit but he couldnt find one and he demolished the unit, i wish he would have takin video of him doing it, i saw the pictures of it all broken up, but i dont have them anymore

the only system i had die on me was a Vader Atari 2600 system, it was probably a really easy fix but i was only 16 when it broke and i didnt care about fixing things back then :D

people say using CDRs in your DC will kill it but im going on 5 years of using mainly nothing but CDRs in mine and its still going strong i mostly play emulators on it
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:17 am

I never had any trouble w/my FZ-1 unit. The much debated Goldstar machine has never given me too much trouble either. Once in a blue moon it won't take an import on the first try, and the cd tray does get stuck on occasion, but considering how much I've played the thing it's hung up quite well.

Oh, my PS2 broke not long after I got it, and I didn't even play it that much. :x Everyone I've talked too says that Sony's machines are built poorly. The guys at the game stores I go to get a ton of them returned to be refurbished. I got a kick when I saw the ad for the slimmer "more reliable PS2" Ha!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:22 am

Trev wrote:I never had any trouble w/my FZ-1 unit. The much debated Goldstar machine has never given me too much trouble either. Once in a blue moon it won't take an import on the first try, and the cd tray does get stuck on occasion, but considering how much I've played the thing it's hung up quite well.

Oh, my PS2 broke not long after I got it, and I didn't even play it that much. :x Everyone I've talked too says that Sony's machines are built poorly. The guys at the game stores I go to get a ton of them returned to be refurbished. I got a kick when I saw the ad for the slimmer "more reliable PS2" Ha!
The words "Reliable" and "Playstation" should never be used in the same sentence! Funny, Sad, and True, which is why it's funny! :lol:

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:32 am

I guess, at $700, you get what you pay for!

Mine even still looks new.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:37 am

I'd like to try out an FZ-10 unit, since it is the only model I haven't owned (outside of the japenese one) I bet this is the best version since it was the last one produced. Also it doesn't have to worry about a motorized door.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:43 am

It's not nearly as classy looking, but it does have a built in memory manager that the FZ-1 doesn't have. So, that's a plus.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:34 am

Maybe it's just me, but I have always loved the FZ-1 unit, especially since it is indeed built like a tank! The FZ-10 is a good unit, but nowhere as durable. I still have never had the pleasure of the Sanyo system though, which I have always wanted one just to have it. Still need to find one of those in good shape.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:12 pm

My FZ-1 is still going strong. It doesn't like to read CD-R discs compared to how well it reads originals, but it also depends on what CD-R media I use.

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:34 pm

Lemmi wrote:and the only problems ive heard from FZ1's are the fuse's blowing, its been awhile but a guy on atariage had a problem that replacing the fuse didnt work because everytime he found a fuse the system would blow it up
You know, when that happens everytime, it's not the fuse that causes the problem. :lol:

My FZ-1 is still working fine, but I hardly use it nowadays anyway (why should I shorten its lifetime if I can play the games on my PC using FreeDO? :D ).

Kardon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kardon » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:56 pm

I recently got an FZ1 that wouldn't power up. I changed the fuse and now it powers up fine but whenever I put a disc in the screen goes black after showing the 3DO logo and sits there for awhile. Eventually it just opens the tray. Games never load at all. I tried adjusting the pot on the laser assembly but so far no luck. Does anyone have any advice?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:35 am

are you trying to run originals?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:05 am

Daft question I know. Did you use the right fuse? Sounds like it doesn't have enough power.

Windows Killer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Windows Killer » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:53 am

3DOKid wrote:Daft question I know. Did you use the right fuse? Sounds like it doesn't have enough power.
Not possible, as a fuse is not a current limiter. A wrong fuse would either cause fire (if there's a severe damage that cause the original fuse to blow) or it will immediately blow on power up.

His error description sounds like the laser has died.

Kardon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kardon » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks for the fast reponses!

All games are original. The fuse I took out was rated at 125V 3.15A. The fuse I put in was rated a little higher then 3.15A but the voltage was the same so I didn't think it should be an issue. It powers on just fine and goes through the screens where it shows to insert a CD into the tray. It will load the 3DO logo as well.

Any game or music cd (all originals) just give a black screen and then after say 30 seconds the tray door opens. I can hear (and see with the top removed) that the disc spins just fine, no bad noises are heard either.

I tried to adjust the pot on the laser about 1/8th of a turn clockwise. I've never messed with adjusting lasers though so I don't know how many times I should try, or if I should wind it counterclockwise. I can see signs that a previous owner has been playing around inside the unit from badly mangled screw heads, etc.

If it needs a new laser does anyone know the replacement #?

Thanks!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:38 pm

Hello,
I can understand your desire to repair your unit. However, to tell the truth, you will be much better served by simply purchasing a functioning unit at auction or from an on-line store.

Kardon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kardon » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Ah but you see my purpose is to learn how to repair 3DO units. I already have a functioning FZ1 so I'm good to go as far as playing games goes. :D I totally understand what you mean though. It's far easier to just buy another used unit for $10 then to pay to fix a broken one.