More Jag homebrew questions...

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

More Jag homebrew questions...

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:26 pm

Is there a central resource that I can go to, to find Jag homebrew stuff?

KevInCal
3DO ZERO USER

Post by KevInCal » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:17 am

You mean a place where you can download the freeware games etc.? Well, not really. It's all kind of strewn accross the net... I had a friend over at Jaguar Sector burn me copies of a lot of the homebrews. :) But if you go to Jaguar Sector and do some searching, I think you'll be able to find a good chunk of links to where you can download the freeware and attempt to burn a CD yourself OR play on a Skunkboard or something similar.

Atari Age may also have some stuff if you do some searching. Also keep an eye on eBay and ChasetheChuckWagon for homebrew type stuff. Right now at CTCW there is a bootleg Soul Star for the Jag CD going for $10. These aren't exactly rare as a guy at one time was selling them regularly on eBay. The game is incomplete also, as it crashes after the 3rd level or so. Still a neat addition if you have a Jag CD.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:17 am

What all is needed to run Jag homebrew? Is there a beginner's guide somewhere?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:55 am

Not really, this is where I can help. It's not hard, it's just not very well organized.

KevInCal
3DO ZERO USER

Post by KevInCal » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:53 pm

Basically all you need is a Jag CD, Skunkboard or flash card. Skunkboard is the best way probably.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Quite hard to get hold of mind you :(

KevInCal
3DO ZERO USER

Post by KevInCal » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:51 pm

Ya, just keep an eye on ebay, should be able to pick up a Jag CD for around $100.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:50 pm

KevInCal wrote:Ya, just keep an eye on ebay, should be able to pick up a Jag CD for around $100.
I have a JagCD (a present from Mrs 3Dokid) and I have a BJL, thanks to chap on here. I'd love a skunk board mind you. I might invest in Alpine board. (obviously when no one is looking :) )

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:33 pm

I have a loose Jag CD of unknown working condition heading my way (figured for $15, it was worth the chance). If it works, do I need to do anything special to run homebrew with it, or just burn the games and go?

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Anyone have any particular homebrew they recommend? I got my Jag CD into slightly working condition last weekend and tried out Back Ice/White Noise. I was fairly impressed with the technology, but there wasn't much to do.

Any good stuff I should check out?

aowl
3DO ZERO USER

Post by aowl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:47 am

Probably the most localised summary of homebrew projects is on AtariAge

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/16 ... -projects/

The thread contains screenshots and (usually) links to home sites or forum threads about the homebrews. ALl of which have either been released, demo'd or are from people with some history of achieving something so there's a decent chance of progress on the unfinished ones.

Hope this helps.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:05 am

Huh, I was under the impression that the Jaguar homebrew scene was pretty active. There's not as much there as I expected.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 am

For those of you that want a Skunkboard, The Goat Store has gotten together with the guys behind the boards and made a third batch. Probably your best bet and much cheaper than ebay prices. :wink:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 am

I thought the orders were all done for now.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

aowl
3DO ZERO USER

Post by aowl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:37 am

Mobius wrote:Huh, I was under the impression that the Jaguar homebrew scene was pretty active. There's not as much there as I expected.
Oh well i guess >40 projects doesn't count as active then (and thats not including any further possible 3DSS projects)

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm

aowl wrote:
Mobius wrote:Huh, I was under the impression that the Jaguar homebrew scene was pretty active. There's not as much there as I expected.
Oh well i guess >40 projects doesn't count as active then (and thats not including any further possible 3DSS projects)
Well, mainly the problem is that the vast majority of those projects aren't actually available. I think it's great that people are working on new things, I just thought that more had been completed.

I also was hoping to see more for the Jag CD, but it looks like people prefer the base system. I guess that's not surprising if they want a wider audience, but Jag CD is nicer since it doesn't require extra hardware.

Anyway, everyone should keep up their work, I just was under the impression that there was more that was already done, and I was wrong.

aowl
3DO ZERO USER

Post by aowl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Ahhhhh

Fair point, that thread is mainly current or recently completed homebrews

The older ones aren't included

SO released would be

Painter -CD
Ocean Depths - CD
Jagmind BombSquad -CD
Surrounded - Download
UFO - Download
Gorf Classic - CD (withdrawn due to rights issues)
Lost Treasures - CD (CD of WIPs from projects lost in an HD crash)
Mad Bodies - Cart
Frog Feast - Cart & CD
Superfly DX - Download and CD
Project 1 - Download
Beebris - Download and CD
Orions Compilation CD (mainly demos)
Do the Same - Download and CD
Atomic - Download and CD
Diamjag - Download and CD
Ozmozys is on Orions CD collection
Double Feature -CD

Blackout - Downloadable Demo
Martian Attack - Downloadable Demo
Jungle Jag - Downloadable Demo
Badcoder - Demos
Project W - Downloadable Demo
S.P.A.C.E - Downloadable Demo
Dazed - Downloadable Demo
Slam Racer - Downloadable Demo
JetPac - Downloadable Version
Asteroids - Downloadable Demo

I think there are also JagTris and JagMania(Pacmania) still available for download.

Many of these need a BJL, or skunkboard or suchlike though.

Many of the downloads are available from Jaguar Sector or Jagware.org. Otherwise that thread is a good place to find the links. Some are only available for purchase and in the case of discontinued ones like Gorf can be expensive on ebay etc.

Apologies to anybody i missed.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:38 pm

40+ could be considered small if you want to compare to the NES, SNES & DreamCast. Sorry I just felt like stirring the pot. ;)

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 pm

3DO Experience wrote:40+ could be considered small if you want to compare to the NES, SNES & DreamCast. Sorry I just felt like stirring the pot. ;)
Well, for a system that is generally considered to be a complete failure in mainstream circles, it has quite a bit going for it. That's one thing. Plus, look at the fact that the Jaguar is a Bitch to program for and just recently, as in the last two or three years, there really was no proper way to fully program for the system. I(t's quite amazing that the system has what it does as far as Homebrew. Now, the final factor in this is the Jaguar community as a whole. The petty fighting between developers and the Piracy issues and bruised egos have done quite a bit to scare off quite a few devs in the past. Some had some really great ideas for the system as well but just couldn't deal with the community. On a side note, when you have a dev group come in and intentionally go after developers and try to make them leave the community, well that's the last bit of rubbish that stabbed at the system again. Still, with all the craziness in the community, it's like a Police Album. With all the inner turmoil and craziness between the members, the end result usually kicks ass, none the less. :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:56 pm

I think anyone who is worried about piracy, at this stage, doing stuff for 3DO/Jag may want to consider their motives, then move onto the iPhone/PS3/360 etc. No one, ever, has gotten rich releasing games for obsolete consoles. However, the opportunity to get a name for ones self doing it... (A greater value?)

Me? I'd rather make a free game for 1,000,000 people than a chargeable game for 400.

You make a AAA title for Jag, give it away for free, you will be in every blog, chat room, magazine -- that's when you make your money/career not selling 10 or maybe 20 copies in the Goat store...

aowl
3DO ZERO USER

Post by aowl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:33 am

You know - i was trying to be helpful - if its just going to turn into stirring i'd really rather not bother

cheers

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:42 am

aowl wrote:You know - i was trying to be helpful - if its just going to turn into stirring i'd really rather not bother

cheers
Nope, no stirring. I was just explaining some things and really meant nothing by what was said. I try to stay out of that crap anymore as I have taken the stance that it is what it is. Nothing changes and you just have to live with that. You the man, Owl.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:05 am

We like to pick here. LOL

Ok, Freeker I need to know, what is with the Jag fans? I like the Jag and knew enough not to mention the 3DO in their forums but they attack each other all the time! Why do they hate on each other? I have never seen a fan base for something with such inner hate before. (not counting competitive gaming) I mean I pretty much stay clear for fear of a stray bullet.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:26 am

3DO Experience wrote:Ok, Freeker I need to know, what is with the Jag fans? I like the Jag and knew enough not to mention the 3DO in their forums but they attack each other all the time! Why do they hate on each other? I have never seen a fan base for something with such inner hate before. (not counting competitive gaming) I mean I pretty much stay clear for fear of a stray bullet.
I was about to say something about that. I truly appreciate those developing for the system, but I can't stand the community for the very reasons above.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 am

3DO Experience wrote:We like to pick here. LOL

Ok, Freeker I need to know, what is with the Jag fans? I like the Jag and knew enough not to mention the 3DO in their forums but they attack each other all the time! Why do they hate on each other? I have never seen a fan base for something with such inner hate before. (not counting competitive gaming) I mean I pretty much stay clear for fear of a stray bullet.
The best way I can put this is that Owl and I have had a moment or two in the past. He is a developer and I was working on a game for the Jaguar that died a very painful death. I think his kneejerk reaction is the natural thing when a Jaguar guy brings this stuff up. Reason being is that it always seems to turn into a mud slinging match and someone attacks someone else and hurtful things are said and in the end it's all blown out od proportion. I have been in the middle of these things before. I may have been wrong and I may have been right. It's not entirely my place to say. The biggest problem I can see with the Jaguar community, in a personal opinion way, is that they are very passionate about the system and they have their own ideas as to what should and should not be done with the software and creativity. There are groups of people that believe that software for old system,s should be free, others think you should pay for it. Obviously the biggest issue has been Piracy. I'm not getting into it because it has lead to some very nasty moments in the Jaguar community and people that I very much liked have turned into something they weren't because of these or just left all together instead of dealing with it. I don't know what to say about Jaguar fans other than that they are unbelievably loyal to the system, almost Rabid as a fan base. When you try and step out of bounds on what one of them believes, they speak their mind. Sadly, everyone doesn't agree and some people take it too seriously. That is why I said what I said above because I didn't want Atari Owl to mistake my speaking my mind on what I thought as a way to turn this into a Flame War. It has happened too often in the Jaguar community and I myself has almost walked out on it more than once over the shenanigans within, especially with the health issues I have had as of late. I just figured out something that most Jaguar fans haven't: It's a Video game system. Nothing more and nothing less. In the end, you can't take it with you and if you get to a point where it is causing you to fight unending, it isn't fun anymore meaning it no longer serves it's intended purpose. At that point, what is the point anymore? Why bother? Enjoy it for what it is, play it and just get away from all the stupid fighting. If you don't want your game pirated, don't release it to the community. It will happen. The good part is though that those gamers that really care and appreciate what all you have done will buy the game and support you. No matter what. The sad thing is that with every release though, someone will say something and it will incite something of an incident. it's like the Jaguar community can't help it. I just stay out of the mess anymore, or try to. As a moderator though, I do have to get involved sometimes. I just grow tired of it and all of these petty fights is another reason why the Jaguar is so misunderstood. Most people are like you, "Why are these people fighting like this over a Video Game system that released almost 20 years ago?" I have gotten to the point that I agree. if more people got along in the Jaguar community, we could have had some really amazing projects come out for that sucker! I do love the system though as does Atari Owl, obviously as the project he is working on made my mouth fall open wide when I saw the video he released. It isn't even finished and from what I saw is doing quite a bit I never thought I would see the Jaguar do.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:47 am

3DO Experience wrote:I have never seen a fan base for something with such inner hate before. (not counting competitive gaming) I mean I pretty much stay clear for fear of a stray bullet.
Ugh, have you seen the online Neo-Geo fanbase?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:46 am

Thank you for the detailed answer. I would probably be a bigger fan of the Jag if I could get through all the fighting but it puts me off to the point where I can't be part of the community. Luckily the NES is still my greatest love.

As for the NEO-GEO fanbase, I've been part of it. Mostly the only squabbling there is modders vs purists. It's nothing like what I have experienced with the Jaguar fans.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:11 am

Yeah, the Neo fanbase (at least on Neo-Geo.com) tends to simply trash each other for fun and tear apart new users interested in the system, just for kicks. :?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:27 am

I hate when they freak because someone puts lights in their controller.