Could 3DO hang with Saturn ports of the Vs. Series & SFA

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Could 3DO hang with Saturn ports of the Vs. Series & SFA

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:58 am

As I play my copies of SamSho vanilla, SSFT2:GMC, I can't help but wonder what Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 2 would've been like had Capcom ported them over to the 3DO. I would relish in the prospect of enjoying the X-Men: Children of The Atom on the Real Interactive Multiplayer. Get chilling Virtual Audio Q Sound jingle, I personally would find that intoxicating.

I'm aware the 3DO (Top Loader at least) has a double-speed CD drive, 32-bit graphics, 16 million pixels, and 24-bit true color (much like the Saturn). Although it lacks the raw horse power for RAM. Do you believe 3DO could tank Street Fighter Alpha, X-Men & MSH?

Now of course there would be a few cutbacks, while I half-expect 3DO to look better than PS1 versions for all of the above games. It might omit anime frames or lag a bit. Load times would've been taxing (but not to the extent of the top loading Neo CD, which is substantial) but dammit, if a ******* 16-bit Super Nintendo can pull Street Fighter Alpha 2 out of it's ass then so can Panasonic's 3DO!

The versus Series (X-MenvsSF/MSHvsSF) should require a type of expansion in order to provide 3DO with a RAM boost! In this case 6 MB or 8 MB is probably feasible. I suspect such carts are expensive to make. Just saying it could be done on 3DO. Especially if Capcom took their time with it moreover tap 3DO's maximum hardware potential. I'm sure 3DO could also run a lot of later KOF/FF games if SNK wanted to. Eye of Typhoon looks amazing it was slated for NeoGeo release until it was scrapped then ported to Panasonic's flagship console!

3DO is very malleable.
~Panasonic 3DO R.E.A.L. Interactive Multiplayer~

Aw yeah. 3DO is the real deal.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:49 pm

Judging by how well it handled SSFII Turbo, I think the 3DO could do the first Street Fighter Alpha game. If I remember right, there wasn't a lot of background animation in the first Alpha. Lots of still sprites and backgrounds with attention to detail given on the main fighters.

The Versus series though, probably not.. There is more going on in the playfield and there are at least four characters they have to animate (all very well, too). They had to severely cut those back on the PlayStation, I can't imagine 3DO versions being any better, if even as close to those botched ports.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:04 am

The SNES's SFA2 port was pretty respectable, so I'm sure 3DO could have done even better. But the vs. series? I don't think so, even with a hypothetical RAM expansion.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:10 am

It can be done, trust me gang 3DO's got the touch, they've got the powah.

Sure it may run like Playstation but chances are it should look better. It's all about data compression methods, if 3DO can utilize some type of expansion too this would be feasible. While it lacks the sheer gigs, data processing, and RAM to run vanilla PS ports flawlessly. It can still run them, sure Akuma would be missing and Apocalypse boss fight might go MIA. But it can happen?

Hard to say. :? Considering the hardware is about the same peer as Saturn and Playstation I really don't see why not. I'm not saying this is going to be tag team mode straight out of the box. At least we've established it could run Alpha 2.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Fri May 13, 2011 4:50 am

I honestly think the 3DO could do anything that the Saturn could do. Panzer Dragoon? Sure.

Especially a 2D fighter. The 3DO could do just about anything 2D really. Now I don't know all the technical specs and everything and the programming involved to do Alpha. But I am pretty darned sure it could do an arcade perfect port of it quite easily.

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silanda » Sat May 14, 2011 12:28 am

oldskool wrote:I honestly think the 3DO could do anything that the Saturn could do. Panzer Dragoon? Sure.

Especially a 2D fighter. The 3DO could do just about anything 2D really. Now I don't know all the technical specs and everything and the programming involved to do Alpha. But I am pretty darned sure it could do an arcade perfect port of it quite easily.
Er, no. The 3DO simply didn't have the same amount of raw processing power as the Saturn for starters, and it had less RAM as well as some of what it did have being eaten by the OS. Remember that the SSF2T port was not perfect: the parallax scrolling was gone. There must have been a reason for that

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Sat May 14, 2011 3:16 am

I don't know much about the technical specs on the two consoles, I just know what I see with my own eyes. And honestly, the graphics between the two consoles both seem about the same to me.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun May 15, 2011 12:11 am

oldskool wrote:I honestly think the 3DO could do anything that the Saturn could do. Panzer Dragoon? Sure.
Panzer Dragoon is a very early Saturn title, so while it made a great graphical demo for the console at the time, it certainly doesn't demonstrate its full capabilities. It actually looks terrible compared to some of the Saturn's later releases.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Tue May 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Arcade perfect ports of said games? Hell I was merely implying it could run them effectively, to run them flawless would require a considerable amount of RAM. Such a thing 3DO can't have by default.

Now an add-on on the other hand should be capable to remedy this. Given a type of expansion the 3DO may need to load A LOT during the beginning and possibly NeoCD enduring load times in-between matches (nothing too taxing, it may take the same amount of time as AOF2) after the initial load with a little help from the RAM cart (or chip a lla PC Engine same method) things should be running 99% at the very least. I'm confident it can do it. Just not fully.

I wish a team of script kiddies would port Arcade versions of SFA and/or the Vs. Series (scratch MvC1 & 2) just so we can see what our beloved Panasonic machine can do. Might be a fun experiment.