Was there a Goldstar VCD Module?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Was there a Goldstar VCD Module?

Post by Calavera » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:04 pm

I read a 3DO faq and it states that a Video CD add-on was released for the Goldstar and it is easier to come by than the ones for the Panasonic machines. I have been able to find information and pictures of the VCD add-on for the Panasonic Front Loader and Top Loader (can't think of the model names right now :P )

So does anybody have any info or pictures of the Goldstar VCD module? Thanks!

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Funny that there aren't more pictures of these floating around.
Here is one of my pics for my upcoming bitrate collection thread:

Last edited by bitrate on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madroms

Post by Madroms » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Not so common, first time I see it. Thanks bitrate.

Do you know that the must have is the korean one ? ;)

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Wow three of them, very nice. I'd love to have one for my Goldstar, but then again I don't really have the money to spend on something that I wouldn't even use :lol: It would be nice to have though, it would make me feel like a had a complete Goldstar.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 am

i still need that total recall cd for my boxed vcd adaptor

anyone have a picture of the cd/cover?

ive used the goldstar vcd to watch some vcds in the past, and i tested my fz10 vcd adaptor, but i sold the fz1 version because it needs a power supply and i dont use that system version ever
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:01 am

If I had the VCD add-on I would be burning my movies on VCD just to be able to watch them on the 3DO. Lol yes I am a dork. :wink:

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:03 am

Lemmi wrote:i still need that total recall cd for my boxed vcd adaptor

anyone have a picture of the cd/cover?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:21 am

Ug, I love Total Recall but they placed the disc change one scene off! I hate where they put it so much I went back and edited the damn thing. I found a perfect place for the cut, I think they were just lazy.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:40 am

Calavera wrote:If I had the VCD add-on I would be burning my movies on VCD just to be able to watch them on the 3DO. Lol yes I am a dork. :wink:
been there done that ... lol
i used to convert .avi movies to .mpg just to play them on my dvd player and my old dedicated vcd player. early 2005 i got a divx dvd player so i could stop all that converting

thanks bitrate, i think i put my philips cdi movie in the box because i dont see it on my shelf anymore, or it could be that version, i have no idea have to dig out the goldstar to see
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 am

Saw the Goldstar add-on in a Babbage's once. So awful!

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:56 am

So in all honesty, given the fact we only had VHS back then, what was the quality like in Total Recall? Heavy action scenes and special effects are bound to have been a test for it.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:34 pm

I only saw The Fugitive in action, but it was five steps below VHS quality. Pixels everywhere. I'd pick LD any day.

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Vance wrote:I only saw The Fugitive in action, but it was five steps below VHS quality. Pixels everywhere. I'd pick LD any day.
LD was notoriously expensive back then though, not sure about now, is it even still about? But that's awful about the quality compared to VHS. What was the point then? Was the idea that it would add more to games and interactive media perhaps, rather than playing full movies?

Rincewind
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Rincewind » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:45 pm

3DwhO wrote:
Vance wrote:I only saw The Fugitive in action, but it was five steps below VHS quality. Pixels everywhere. I'd pick LD any day.
LD was notoriously expensive back then though, not sure about now, is it even still about? But that's awful about the quality compared to VHS. What was the point then? Was the idea that it would add more to games and interactive media perhaps, rather than playing full movies?
Believe it or not Pioneer Electronics still makes em.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... rs/DVL-919

As for discs, you will have to go on ebay. Maybe LDs are still made in Japan though to this day I think, typically Karaoke discs though?
Sapient Pearwood?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:49 pm

3DwhO wrote:
Well, the dvd type features such as instant access to scenes were a big step up over having to rewind/fast forward to different parts of the movie. Wear & tear also wasn't a factor w/vcds, so no worries about jumping picture and so forth. And while some of the fast scenes were a notch below vhs standards, most of the image quality is comprable if not improved.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Awwww yeah. LD's.
I still have a shelf full of them. Beautiful format.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Rincewind wrote:
3DwhO wrote:
Believe it or not Pioneer Electronics still makes em.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... rs/DVL-919

As for discs, you will have to go on ebay. Maybe LDs are still made in Japan though to this day I think, typically Karaoke discs though?
Actually I believe they quit making new machines in 2009, those are probably leftover stock.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:42 am

Total Recall wasn't bad on VCD because of the action, they did an ok job on the fast motion for this title. The bad part was the reds. So much red in this movie and red is a horrible foe in any video format. Blocky red sky in every shot. The DVD also suffers greatly from the red. The blu-ray doesn't have any compression problems but they seem to have used the same master so the detail difference from the DVD isn't mind blowing. VCDs had there plusses and minuses compared to VHS. There was no real chroma noise to speak of but they did have compression artifacts. You had to swap discs if you wanted anything longer than a TV episode but they didn't wear out. LDs are still better than both.

Yes, the 919 was designed in 1999 and had a production as late as 2009. However the picture quality on the combo players was not the greatest despite what some retards like to claim. They were made for convience not quality, $999.00 is way overpriced, $200+ is more like it. Also they do NOT support LD video from the component video outs. I don't care how much a seller claims they do, they DON'T. If someone tells you that they are ripping you off.

I still have lots of LDs. in fact I just bought a few.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:20 am

3DO Experience wrote:Also they do NOT support LD video from the component video outs. I don't care how much a seller claims they do, they DON'T. If someone tells you that they are ripping you off.

I still have lots of LDs. in fact I just bought a few.
Really? I never knew that. I always assumed these were the best machines for LD. I recently sold off my LD player and LDs. At one time I even had one of the players that would automatically flip the disc for you. Well it obviously didn't flip but the laser would move to read the top or bottom of the disc.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:24 am

LDs use analog tech, which is a blocky bitch if they get damaged but always results in the greatest quality with skilled engineering. It's not always the most obvious thing, but listen to the album The Blackened Air by Nina Nastasia with headphones on and it becomes obvious.