3DO Collecting

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

3DO Collecting

Post by bitrate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:37 pm

I've given this some thought and have come to the conclusion that collecting for the 3DO can be very difficult.

I've been at it for eleven years now (longer if you count my original system and games from the mid 90's) and during that time I have also collected for the NES, SNES, TG-16, Dreamcast, Saturn, Atari 2600/5200, N64, and Genesis. I've collected for a couple of other systems as well, but not to the same degree.

Now, while it is true that I have always placed a heavy emphasis on my 3DO collection, I have found that the "difficult to find" 3DO items are MORE difficult to locate than the "difficult to find" items for other systems.

I have also seen "expensive" 3DO items sell for as much as some "expensive" items for other systems. Over $1500 for some Japanese 3DO titles, for example.

People who collect proto/beta/alpha games don't seem to have any for the 3DO despite having these types of games for other obscure systems, and it is not due to a lack of desire. The same can be said for other areas of 3DO collecting.
You can do internet searches for some pieces of rare 3DO software and come up with absolutely nothing.

I know Pitsunami at one point also said that collecting rare pieces for the 3DO seems to be more difficult than collecting rare pieces for other systems.

What do you guys think?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:17 pm

You would know better than any of us. :wink:

Seriously, I probably wouldn't know. I collect for a bunch of systems, but none close to the extent that I collect for 3DO so I can't really compare.

I guess once you reach a certain point it probably is. But I bet the majority who frequent this forum don't even have a complete library of games released in their region, never mind imports.

For collectors like you, some of the other regulars, etc ... I can see the challenge. I mean, how often do you find 3DO games from Korea?

I'd settle even for a concrete list of releases and such. How can you complete a collection if you aren't even aware of all that is out there? I'd love an import list that was set in stone.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Trev wrote: I'd settle even for a concrete list of releases and such. How can you complete a collection if you aren't even aware of all that is out there? I'd love an import list that was set in stone.

Exactly. You point out another example.

I have, just recently (as of a few months ago), completed my Japanese 3DO software collection... maybe. I say maybe because I can't be sure.

I have, in the past, come to the conclusion that I had completed the Japanese part of my collection only to find another title.
A title that I had never seen or heard of before. A title not pictured or mentioned in any magazines or internet sites. Kyusei Oilman is a good example of this. Not one mention of it anywhere that I could find in 9 years of searching for 3DO items. Even Gir Draxa had not heard of it.

The Japanese title I picked up a few months ago is another example of a 3DO game I had never seen before.

And there are other examples going back through the years.

With other systems I have not found this to be the case. You can almost always find someone somewhere who owns, or at least has pictures of even the most obscure items for the system in question. And with enough money you can usually acquire said items.
Of course, a lot of this is attributable to the simple fact that there aren't as many people collecting for the 3DO.

Madroms

Post by Madroms » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:17 pm

3DO has so many expensive not for sale titles, that's right. But on the released games, aka games released in stores or by mail-in, there are not a lot of them.
bitrate, the one you found recently, is it a not for sale title ?

I also collect for Saturn and I am on the same situation: I think I finished my JPN collection and then, I find a new title. But on the difference that this new title is rarely expensive, this is just a alternate release of a already well known game.
Not for sale / demo titles is another story. The list is never complete. Same for games released for the Asian (South Korea, Chinese,...) and South America (Brazil) markets.

Btw, bitrate, now you need to collect variations of the same game :lol: You will probably find some revised games as well as revised manuals, back covers,... Did you check your Virtual Puppet Reika copy ? :wink:

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:41 pm

that is the reason I gave up entirely on Sega Saturn, everything is either ultra rare or too expensive. I think I only had 20 or so games when I sold mine and gave up entirely.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 pm

Madroms wrote:bitrate, the one you found recently, is it a not for sale title ?

Correct. It is a "Not for Sale" title, with no "For Sale" counterpart.

Madroms wrote: Btw, bitrate, now you need to collect variations of the same game :lol:

I do. :wink:
Whenever I find something different I grab it.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:34 pm

I can't think of anything 3DO that is over $500 other than M2 material.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:35 pm

phatrat1982 wrote:that is the reason I gave up entirely on Sega Saturn, everything is either ultra rare or too expensive. I think I only had 20 or so games when I sold mine and gave up entirely.
heh i quit after i hit 86 games for saturn, mostly because i dont have the space for all those big cases the games come in, and my 3do games take up most of my shelf space anyway :)

i was just lucky to have a full collection of US releaded 3do games, there was no way i would go after all the others, plus im a US guy and i might have a total of 7 import games for the 25+ systems i own and those are all on the 3do
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:37 pm

sneth wrote:I can't think of anything 3DO that is over $500 other than M2 material.
i got $400 for my complete Dinopark Tycoon, thats close ;)

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:49 pm

sneth wrote:I can't think of anything 3DO that is over $500 other than M2 material.

There are many things over $500 for the 3DO which are not M2 related.
Hell, a CIB copy of Lucienne's Quest just sold for $377 US.
While not a typical price, there are still many 3DO items commanding prices over $500.

Lemmi wrote:i got $400 for my complete Dinopark Tycoon, thats close

You got a lot more than that for a 3DO item that I bought off of you. :wink:

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:20 am

The 3DO certainly has a strange library when it comes to collecting. Even looking for some nice commons can be tricky sometimes. Games on the system in general don't pop up nearly as often as games on other platforms..

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:38 am

bitrate wrote:
heh i didnt want to mention that item so i stuck with games :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 pm

I know what you mean bitrate. And what you said about the Japanese titles... maybe... so true. Just when you think you know of everything that's out there something new and unseen shows up. Lucky for me I don't have to own everything, and I could never come close to having a collection such as yours.

My collection has come a bit full circle, now collecting more of the things I originally did when it wasn't 'collecting' it was, "oh I love that! I have to get it!" Accessories were my thing and now I seem to go gaga for the pre-Super Mario World items that aren't even contollers.

Oh and here's a plug: Go Visit The Collectors' Corner And See The People's Passion!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:06 pm

bitrate wrote:

There are many things over $500 for the 3DO which are not M2 related.
Hell, a CIB copy of Lucienne's Quest just sold for $377 US.
While not a typical price, there are still many 3DO items commanding prices over $500.

$500 for 3do stuff? Still don't see it. Proto's maybe, but that's a separate market really.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:40 pm

sneth wrote: $500 for 3do stuff? Still don't see it.

What is it that you can't see? It happens. Just as it happens for other systems. Just as it happens for other collectibles.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

depending on how you set your 3DO collecting goals, 3DO can be easy compared to other platforms. Say you just wanted PAL releases, 3DO would be a doddle compared to Saturn, SNES, PS1 etc...

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:59 am

3DOKid wrote:Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

That's exactly my point. People pay, what some would consider, large amounts of money for all kinds of different things (needed, or otherwise). Why would it be any different for the 3DO? What is there "not to see" about it?

3DOKid wrote: depending on how you set your 3DO collecting goals, 3DO can be easy compared to other platforms. Say you just wanted PAL releases, 3DO would be a doddle compared to Saturn, SNES, PS1 etc...

This is true.

All I am saying is that if you are an avid collector of multiple systems, you will come to find that the 3DO offers quite the challenge. Personally, I have found it to be more difficult to collect for than other systems.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:08 am

Personally, I have found it to be more difficult to collect for than other systems.

I can totally agree with this, in all my years video game collecting, scouring thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, used video game shops, pawn shops, etc, I have NEVER seen a working complete 3DO console ever. I have found 1 game in all my searching and snatched that right up, and 1 controller once and sold that off after I could not find a console anywhere. Now true going online I can find stuff but the thing of it is in all that same searching I have run across old Pong machines, Nintendo and Sega galore, Master system, all kinds of old random Atari era stuff and more commodore and Amiga crap than I know what to do with but I have never once personally ran into a 3DO other than those 2 items I mentioned above.

I've come across more Saturn and even Jaguar stuff.

jpantarotto
3DO ZERO USER

Post by jpantarotto » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:41 am

Hi all,

I just entered to this forum, because I guess this is the most active place for 3DO discus.

I already know that bitrate has probably the most complete 3DO collection ever, I saw his photobucket somewhere and it’s really amazing. And now he creates a new post just saying that even he doubt of this.
So first of all, I would like to make a few questions; and second of all, I would like to propose one little thing. Ok? So here we go.

A background first:

My history with 3DO was very short because three main reasons: I’m from Brazil, I’m not rich and only one of my cousins (the rich one) had a 3DO back in the 90’s. Now a have a respectable collection of twelve consoles, maybe not much for the rest of the world standards but huge for me. Also I’m pro for projects like redump, bit torrent and hddx; I guess everyone here knows what I’m talking about.

Questions:

Does anyone here considered the possibility to contribute to redump project in order to preserve 3DO game history?
Does anyone here already think about sell your collection? And for how much?
Does anyone here know this game below? This guy sold this game for about 10 US$.
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... ra-3do-_JM

Proposal:

For what I saw looking on the internet, there is no list or at least official list, unofficial list, ultimate list or complete list at all.
So if we don’t have this how can I say that I have a complete collection? I tried to make a list my own, with just simple search, and I listed 604 games, between US, Euro, Japan, and Korean games. Since I’m a redump enthusiastic I had to list US and Euro separately.
Well, so the proposal is just elaborate a simple list containing every single different 3DO game that exists physically.

Thank you for the patience and I’m sorry for my bad english or maybe if I turned the direction a little bit of this topic and or anything else.

PS: bitrate photos. you could post all photos at 3DO Collector’s Corner just like Pitsunami, and other members did.
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/bitrate_photos/

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:19 am

jpantarotto wrote:Hi all,

I just entered to this forum, because I guess this is the most active place for 3DO discus.

Hello, and welcome. It is the most active place I have found for 3DO discussion (in English, anyway).
jpantarotto wrote: Does anyone here considered the possibility to contribute to redump project in order to preserve 3DO game history?
Not sure. I need to give it some thought.
jpantarotto wrote: Does anyone here already think about sell your collection? And for how much?
Not many people here that I know of. Most of us are pretty die hard fans.
jpantarotto wrote: Does anyone here know this game below? This guy sold this game for about 10 US$.
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... ra-3do-_JM
I have seen this before and many other disks like it. For me, I don't consider these types of disks with the "Photo CD" and "CD-ROM" labelling to be 3DO titles. If I was going to include these types of disks in my 3DO collection I might as well include every music CD ever made since they will also play on a 3DO console.
Most importantly, they are not officially licensed 3DO software. If they were, they would have this 3DO label on the disk and paperwork:

jpantarotto wrote: For what I saw looking on the internet, there is no list or at least official list, unofficial list, ultimate list or complete list at all.
So if we don’t have this how can I say that I have a complete collection? I tried to make a list my own, with just simple search, and I listed 604 games, between US, Euro, Japan, and Korean games. Since I’m a redump enthusiastic I had to list US and Euro separately.
Well, so the proposal is just elaborate a simple list containing every single different 3DO game that exists physically.

3DOToday is a good start for this. It is still missing a lot of titles, variants, demos, etc., but it's a good place to begin looking. I have almost completed my collection photos and plan to make a thread with small thumbnails of all Japanese and US titles.

jpantarotto wrote: Thank you for the patience and I’m sorry for my bad english or maybe if I turned the direction a little bit of this topic and or anything else.

Your English is very good and if you like talking about the 3DO, you've come to the right place.

jpantarotto wrote: PS: bitrate photos. you could post all photos at 3DO Collector’s Corner just like Pitsunami, and other members did.
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/bitrate_photos/

As soon as I finish with the pictures that's exactly where I'll be posting them.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:13 pm

bitrate wrote:
sneth wrote: $500 for 3do stuff? Still don't see it.

What is it that you can't see? It happens. Just as it happens for other systems. Just as it happens for other collectibles.
If it happens. what items? That's what i'm getting at.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Items that casual collectors probably don't even know exist. Stuff you won't find by searching Ebay.

Were you looking for a list or something?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:56 pm

As Trev says, if you are looking on Ebay you are going to be looking for a long time (hence, the existence of this thread).

First of all, there are VERY few US released titles that will break $500 (although prices continue to rise). Dinopark Tycoon sold for over $900 2 years ago. There is another US release that is every bit as rare as Dinopark Tycoon but does not get as much attention. :wink:
There are a few pieces of US released hardware that qualify too, such as the steering wheel, 3DO Blaster, etc.

Most of the released 3DO items (hardware/software) that break $500 are from Japan and Korea.
There are about 15 -20 Japanese titles that sell for more than $500. Japanese hardware as well. Then you have the Korean stuff.

Of course, there are lots of 3DO and M2 protos/alphas/betas of software/hardware that will meet that amount, but are not included in this discussion.

Incidentally, the most money I have ever seen spent on a released 3DO title was for the disk below. Besides my collection, I have only seen it one other time where it sold for $1900 US.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:36 pm

3DOKid wrote:Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

depending on how you set your 3DO collecting goals, 3DO can be easy compared to other platforms. Say you just wanted PAL releases, 3DO would be a doddle compared to Saturn, SNES, PS1 etc...

Well for me it would be very limited, first I would focus exclusively on US releases, second they would absolutley have to either be completely exclusive to the console, or would have to be the originating/best version of the software for me to consider collecting it.

That is how I handle my collecting of all video games because it keeps things simple.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Thing is, how do you know you have the best version? I think NFS on the 3DO is the best version, hwoever some say PC, others PS1, and some the Saturn?

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:00 am

well that is for me to evaluate based on my personal tastes which is not that hard for me cuz I not surprisingly know my own tastes quit well.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:27 am

3DOKid wrote:Thing is, how do you know you have the best version? I think NFS on the 3DO is the best version, hwoever some say PC, others PS1, and some the Saturn?
In a case like this ... rely on your good common sense.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:19 am

Buy all the versions and see for yourself, basically. I've personally done that for a lot of different gaming franchises. It's interesting to see the quirks and differences from platform to platform.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:31 am

I have an extensive Neo Geo collection, that's kinda why i was curious about these high price 3DO items.

Neo collectors are usually purists when it comes to items. Officially licensed games only.

I am really curious what items pull high prices on 3DO. I've never seen 3DO software with such a high demand that is pulls prices more than a few hundred.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:59 am

Yeah but being picky when buying NEO-GEO is for a good reason. Anything that's not official is generally junk and will break on you plain and simple. However I wouldn't use the word 'purist' I mean lots of us have mods to the consoles and even controllers. And those of us with MVS are pretty much all is fair in love and arcade games.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"