Some more Atari Jaguar Questions.

It does float! And doesn't get soggy in milk! :)

Moderator: a31chris

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Some more Atari Jaguar Questions.

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Ok so don't scold me for this I am still learning here and google sucks for finding anything useful so here goes a few random questions.

1. Atari 7800 could play 2600 games and I know when Jag came out it was too old but did Atari keep any back wards compatibility either via adapters or any such method where one could own just a Jaguar and still play their old games?

2. IF no to number on is it concieveable that such an device could be implemented doing just that either a cart adapter or some such device or maybe running the software say via the CD or something?

3. Do you think had Atari included some such method it would have affected sales even at all?

4. Is Jaguar compatible with any other Atari console, accessories, or products besides Jaguar brand products? Such as controllers, or the like?

5. I heard there was a way to run Lynx games on a Jaguar similar to Super Gameboy but with a connection to the console instead of a cart is this true or a myth?

6. Is it really hard to find a working Jaguar and if not how rare/expensive would you say the machines and games are?

7. Sega licensed their Genesis hardware to other companies as did 3DO and I think CD-i too if I am not mistaken, did Atari ever consider doing the same with Jag or was this something they had no concept of as I know they did so with earlier consoles. Also if they did consider it are they any prototypes or other models out there or is there just 1 Atari Jaguar to choose from?

8. What type of tv hook ups can Jaguar support does it use proprietary stuff, rca, rf, component, s-video etc?

9. What are the sound capabilties like and what audio outputs does it feature?

10. Last and final question I know it is sad Atari went under they were my first video game experience and I to this day keep 3 working VCS consoles around and a TV games plug N play 2600 too. So I have a soft spot for Jaguar also but I have very little knowledge of the unit so I would like to know more. My question is was anyone else sad when Jaguar failed that it also mean the end of Atari?
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

Chazor

Re: Some more Atari Jaguar Questions.

Post by Chazor » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Ok so don't scold me for this I am still learning here and google sucks for finding anything useful so here goes a few random questions.

1. Atari 7800 could play 2600 games and I know when Jag came out it was too old but did Atari keep any back wards compatibility either via adapters or any such method where one could own just a Jaguar and still play their old games?

Yeah Duud. it was compatz wive the 5800. An dat cud work wive with 2600 to. U must get a Katzbox adapter. PM me. I seel for $900 dollars.

2. IF no to number on is it concieveable that such an device could be implemented doing just that either a cart adapter or some such device or maybe running the software say via the CD or something

Ask ere about Katzbox: http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/14-atari-jaguar/ its like a l33t fing so they wont tell you. just kep talk to them. They av meny secretz on dat bord. But they fink they is l33t. I jus left cos they int l33t. they just foolin.

3. Do you think had Atari included some such method it would have affected sales even at all?

corse. Jag only 256 colors and no Halo. It woz ded. if day make Halo 4 it, den Jag probs last enuver 16 moths. Jag was l33t. but fuukin gaystation haxed Atari and made it 16 colors only. Sony suxs. Dat Japz guy huu works 4 Ninntendos he said it was ok, and i wuz l33t enuf.

4. Is Jaguar compatible with any other Atari console, accessories, or products besides Jaguar brand products? Such as controllers, or the like?

Secrat cod l33t skillz. I tell you code. $60. PM me.es unlock

5. I heard there was a way to run Lynx games on a Jaguar similar to Super Gameboy but with a connection to the console instead of a cart is this true or a myth?

Its troo. U can huuk it up to Xbox360. I sell you cabl $400. PM me. I iz huukin you up bros

6. Is it really hard to find a working Jaguar and if not how rare/expensive would you say the machines and games are?

I haz a shrink wrapped one. PM me. I wud pput it on ebay but its TEH RARE and you not get good price on evulzbay. I also hav a Katzbox, and all games for it. And I as teh rare games like: Street Fighre 2, Marios, alfa Halo Bill Gates made. Itz da bom, but u ain't l33t enuf, so maybe i wunna sell to u. $1000 dollars. PM me dog

7. Sega licensed their Genesis hardware to other companies as did 3DO and I think CD-i too if I am not mistaken, did Atari ever consider doing the same with Jag or was this something they had no concept of as I know they did so with earlier consoles. Also if they did consider it are they any prototypes or other models out there or is there just 1 Atari Jaguar to choose from?

Yeah Micrusoft. Bill Gates woz totally blown away. He wonted it bad he told me but Donald TRuump woz goine app for it 2. it was shitz. Dey hav a fight Gates an Trump. But i tell them luv each other. Den they went all gay and shitz, so I took the Gold Jag of l33t. So they called the copz. I did time but I iz Street, so it dont matter init.

8. What type of tv hook ups can Jaguar support does it use proprietary stuff, rca, rf, component, s-video etc?

Atari TV onlyz usin the japport AV. I can git you a cable to. $400 PM me.

9. What are the sound capabilties like and what audio outputs does it feature?

l33t man. it better tahn the Gaystation 3. Sony sux. I h4ked Sony for Lulz. it aint got no gamez now

10. Last and final question I know it is sad Atari went under they were my first video game experience and I to this day keep 3 working VCS consoles around and a TV games plug N play 2600 too. So I have a soft spot for Jaguar also but I have very little knowledge of the unit so I would like to know more. My question is was anyone else sad when Jaguar failed that it also mean the end of Atari?

I wozn't. Saturn roolz tehm all. I woz playin radint silber gun amd my dad sed that Jag was dead. It wuz good. I put it in da bin. cos I had like a solid gold one butz i did not need the cash. U buy my sparez. $1000 very gud.
Last edited by Chazor on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Ok Chazor, who are you really? Lightning? Trixie? Thunder? Preecha?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Damn kids. It's Colour, not Color.

Edit: Never mention Lightning.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Not funny guys.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:09 pm

3DOKid wrote: Edit: Never mention Lightning.
Still ok to mention Preecha though, yes?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:19 pm

Trev wrote:
3DOKid wrote: Edit: Never mention Lightning.
Still ok to mention Preecha though, yes?
Preecha is fine. Just never (ever) mention Lightning.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:20 pm

phatrat1982 wrote:Not funny guys.
What's not?

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:31 pm

that first reply.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:50 pm

phatrat1982 wrote:1. Atari 7800 could play 2600 games and I know when Jag came out it was too old but did Atari keep any back wards compatibility either via adapters or any such method where one could own just a Jaguar and still play their old games?
No.
phatrat1982 wrote:2. IF no to number on(e) is it concieveable that such an device could be implemented doing just that either a cart adapter or some such device or maybe running the software say via the CD or something?
An adaptor would have been nice, for sure, but I'm guessing hardware differences would have made it difficult, unless Atari managed something like the Super Game Boy where the original hardware was basically in the attachment cart.

I do believe someone was trying to work on a 2600 emulator for the Jag. I don't think it got very far.
phatrat1982 wrote:3. Do you think had Atari included some such method it would have affected sales even at all?
It may have helped. Maybe not a lot, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.
phatrat1982 wrote:5. I heard there was a way to run Lynx games on a Jaguar similar to Super Gameboy but with a connection to the console instead of a cart is this true or a myth?
I don't think this is true. From what I understand, I believe Atari at one point planned to have the Lynx interface with the Jaguar somehow, kind of like how the PSP can interface with the PS3 for some things, or like the GBA can interface with the Game Cube. I don't know the details though or what the actual intentions were for or what the outcome would have been.
phatrat1982 wrote:6. Is it really hard to find a working Jaguar and if not how rare/expensive would you say the machines and games are?
No. The Jaguar base console is a pretty reliable system, at least in terms of basic functionality (powering on, etc). It can be a little finicky with carts sometimes, but the point is you are unlikely to find a dead system out there. Jaguar CD systems, on the other hand...

As far as pricing, you can find a system for between $50 and $100, depending. Games pricing can be anywhere from $5 for a loose common cart like Cybermorph, Iron Soldier or Val D'Isere, to $100+ for the late-release Telegames carts like Towers II and Breakout 2000. Do a little price research yourself on eBay and you should get a good idea of pricing.

Keep in mind a lot of common Jag stuff can still be had new/sealed for decent prices as well.
phatrat1982 wrote:8. What type of tv hook ups can Jaguar support does it use proprietary stuff, rca, rf, component, s-video etc?
The Jaguar has a universal RF port on it and the system generally comes stock with a switchbox, but it has a proprietary port for things like Composite and S-Video. It has a variety of cables available, but if you are really serious, you can track down a Catbox that offers all sorts of output options. It's ridiculously expensive though.
phatrat1982 wrote:9. What are the sound capabilties like and what audio outputs does it feature?
Hm, I'm not sure what you are looking for here exactly.. Think better than the Genesis and 32X, but maybe not as good as the N64, sound-wise. It sounds good IMO when it's put to good use (Tempest 2000, Super Burnout, Zool 2, etc), however a lot of games hardly take advantage of the hardware and sound rather Genesis-like.
phatrat1982 wrote:10. Last and final question I know it is sad Atari went under they were my first video game experience and I to this day keep 3 working VCS consoles around and a TV games plug N play 2600 too. So I have a soft spot for Jaguar also but I have very little knowledge of the unit so I would like to know more. My question is was anyone else sad when Jaguar failed that it also mean the end of Atari?
Well, I was an ignorant 15 year old when I bought my Jaguar on liquidation at Kay-Bee Toys, and because I saw it in the system I thought it was still "alive".. I don't think I even understood the term "liquidation" back then... :lol:

Catbox: http://www.atariage.com/common/image.ht ... CatBox.jpg

Composite cable: http://www.atariage.com/common/image.ht ... eCable.jpg

S-Video cable: http://www.atariage.com/common/image.ht ... oCable.jpg

A Jaguar search on eBay: http://video-games.shop.ebay.com/Video- ... p=15&_sc=1

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm

phatrat1982 wrote:that first reply.
It's not?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm gonna shoot myself....

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:27 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I'm gonna shoot myself....
Don't. Half the guys are out looking for a M2 for you, right now!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Ok I won't shoot myself but I'm banning Chazor.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:39 pm

...but the kids love him.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Nice Ghosbusters, but I already banned him.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:41 pm

I guess what I was asking about the sound is if you can hook it up to a stereo or something using RCA cable does it have a good quality but from reading the wikipedia it claims to have good sound output so I assume if you had a good set up and proper hook ups it would be decent. I never hated the Genesis sound honestly again if you had the proper equipment it could sound really good.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:43 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Nice Ghosbusters, but I already banned him.
Okay. His behaviour was totally unacceptable, and cannot be tolerated.

...But it does also mean we have lost the Golden Jag of L33T for ever.