Primal rage - it was crap wasn't it?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Primal rage - it was crap wasn't it?

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:08 pm

I often get angry posts on my blog from people with differing (read as wrong) opinions to me. I can understand Doom (to a degree) and Wolfenstein (to a degree) but Primal Rage? Myst? Surely some mistake?

I am right aren't I? They are rubbish?

I was assaulted by a loyal 3DO fan regarding my views on Myst. A game which literally bored me to tears. You know what it's like when you're really tired? And you are in a class or at work or talking to the wife and suddenly and inexplicably you're tired and your head starts nodding and you are forcing yourself to stay awake and in doing so, you start to cry? that happened to me playing Myst. Weird then that some Chav jumped to the rescue of the game... There is no accounting for taste I guess but...MYST?

When I am supreme emperor of the world I'm banning free speech for everyone that disagrees with me! ;)

3DO Kid.

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:07 pm

Primal Rage, yeah its crap. Playable crap is what I prefer to call it. My brother and I will play it to get into that retro mood from time to time. Its a turd but back it the day it was pretty turd.

Maybe the reason why 3do fans get so defensive of this game is that it really is the very best version of the game by a wide margin. Very few games for the 3do ever were able to have any kind of comparison to the PS1 and Saturn.

Doom for the 3do is so bad... Wolfenstein is a the best version of the game. Myst? I've heard the 3do version was the best version of that borefest as well. Remnants of that old 3do elitism we're seeing?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:25 pm

3Do elitism - I thought that was me? tch!

...you don't post on your blog for a few weeks and look what happens.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Come on primal is a great game. I really enjoyed it,but i have to agree that myst is really boring i really dont understand why is it so famous. Anyway i am an rpg player so adventures are not my style :P

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:01 pm

Primal Rage was a bundle with many GoldStar 3DOs, so I would gather there are a fair number of people who are fiercely loyal to the game because it was their "baby" when they bought their 3DOs. It's like Duck Hunt on the NES or Hang On on the Sega; boring repetitive crap with virtually no replay value after the first three days you've owned it, but for some reason these games hold extreme sentimental value to many of us, even though we probably all almost immediately bought other, better games for those respective systems.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:09 pm

It's good to see so many of us on the same page.

Well - that is apart from you "pitsunami" and don't think your clever name has gotten past me... "Great game" indeed. Tch. Whatever next?

:wink:

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Tue May 01, 2007 3:23 am

3DOKid wrote:It's good to see so many of us on the same page.

Well - that is apart from you "pitsunami" and don't think your clever name has gotten past me... "Great game" indeed. Tch. Whatever next?

Come on there is got to be someone else... :oops:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue May 01, 2007 7:09 am

pitsunami wrote:
3DOKid wrote:It's good to see so many of us on the same page.

Come on there is got to be someone else... :oops:
...i believe you're the last :twisted:

Game.com
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Game.com » Tue May 01, 2007 11:10 am

Have to agree primal rage was poo poo !

Then again i thought Killing time was a fantastic game :shock:

How times have moved on.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue May 01, 2007 2:48 pm

OK i'll stick up for it... I kinda liked Myst. But i didnt play it on the 3do. I played it on PC. Actualy took the time to beat the game. But i have been flamed for this before so go ahead and bring it on!

Dryden
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dryden » Tue May 01, 2007 5:04 pm

BryWI wrote:OK i'll stick up for it... I kinda liked Myst. But i didnt play it on the 3do. I played it on PC. Actualy took the time to beat the game. But i have been flamed for this before so go ahead and bring it on!
I missed out on Myst because I was solely into consoles at the time Myst-mania swept up the globe on the PC, but I did get into Treasure Quest later on.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue May 01, 2007 7:38 pm

People are entitled to opinion. No matter how wrong it may be.

:D

All joking aside. Myst? C'mon. Really? No? You're joking right? Right?

bonefish
3DO ZERO USER

Post by bonefish » Wed May 02, 2007 4:04 am

I always thought add slayer was a steaming turd. Just so bleh.

Game.com
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Game.com » Wed May 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Myst was way to hard for me !

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed May 02, 2007 4:07 pm

3DOKid wrote:
All joking aside. Myst? C'mon. Really? No? You're joking right? Right?
Sorry, not joking. lol You can hit that ban button now. ;)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed May 02, 2007 7:35 pm

If I had bothered to figure out how to ban people I do it! I would. (No i wouldn't i love you really)

Myst was just too slow for me. The best feature in any game ever was the resident evil 'this object is relevent' twinkle. I hate that whole; click here, press there, try this with that, random crap. I just want to kill stuff in 3D and be done with it. And if I need to find a key or put two objects together I want some rhyme and reason to it. Twinkle - for the win. Plus I find the pseudo-freedom of Myst pretty irritating. I want to look over there, like that. But you can't because they didn't pre-render that scene.

MEH.

3DO kid.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed May 02, 2007 8:16 pm

For me, Myst is kinda like the PC version of Nintendo's R.O.B. (remember him?) R.O.B. was the 'trojan horse' that helped push the NES into people's homes. Myst helped push the PC into a real gamers system (no more solitaire! :wink: ) Both didn't offer much in the way of gameplay, but both were very cool to look at (Myst w/its beautiful static screens, and R.O.B. with ... well he was just cool 8) ) And I loved them both.

And now, to conclude what was possibly my most bizzare post ever, I will remind all that I too like Primal Rage :!:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed May 02, 2007 8:29 pm

Where is that Php forum manual...

ROB for the NES? Was that that robotic thing? I saw that robot add-on for the NES and I desperately wanted one. (read as: want one)

So - you're wrong about Primal Rage too. hmm. Maybe it's contagious.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Wed May 02, 2007 10:08 pm

Hahahaha told ya...at least two people in the whole planet like primal!! :lol:

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Thu May 03, 2007 6:12 am

3DOKid - you have to play Primal with the flightstick... it's a completely different game :D

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu May 03, 2007 9:08 am

More like Tekken and VF? Less like the pile of crap it is?

Oh - OK. sometime today, Gods permitting, I'll play it.

maclic
3DO ZERO USER

Post by maclic » Fri May 04, 2007 7:17 pm

It doen't matter how good or how bad a game is, there will be at least a small group of people who love it and a small group of people who hate it (the same applies for consoles, we are the small group who loves 3do). I'm one of the group of people who had fun with primal rage at the arcades. At the beginning it was hard to play, but once I understood the mechanics it was fun (that 13 hits combo with blizzard was a challenge). The 3do version was a great conversion, almost identical to the arcade, so, the people who loved the arcade surely like the 3do version.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri May 04, 2007 8:00 pm

I'm curious, what kind of differences are there between the arcade version of Primal Rage and the version for the 3DO?

3DOKid wrote:More like Tekken and VF? Less like the pile of crap it is?
I'd go so far as to say that if you have the Flight stick that Primal Rage is bettter than Tekken and VF. In fact, it easily rivals any Street Fighter version on any console or the arcade.
Last edited by bitrate on Fri May 04, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maclic
3DO ZERO USER

Post by maclic » Fri May 04, 2007 10:32 pm

It´s been a long time since the last time I played the arcade, but as far as I remember they are identical. The main difference are the cinemas, in the arcade they are shorter. I have not been able to execute some combos, but maybe I need more practice. With primal rage they tried something different with the controls, holding the buttons while moving the joystick to pull out the special moves makes a diferent feeling to the game.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat May 05, 2007 2:45 pm

maclic wrote:It doen't matter how good or how bad a game is, there will be at least a small group of people who love it
Point dis-proven...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/bigr ... eview.html

Watch the video review to see this turd in motion. Anyone tells you they like this game, they are lying. I dont think you can even call this a game.

ninjagowoo
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ninjagowoo » Sat May 05, 2007 7:28 pm

Primal Rage is so popular because it was originally an arcade game. A very fun one at that. It had some great effects, the music was kinda bland but it suited the environment. And what 13-yr-old kid wouldn't enjoy watching a dinosaur ripping the head off of another dinosaur as some onlooking natives cheered on?

The problem was that the ports of the arcade version had to be watered down because of hardware restrictions...and that's why they're so terribly bland and boring.

maclic
3DO ZERO USER

Post by maclic » Sun May 06, 2007 7:12 pm

Watch the video review to see this turd in motion. Anyone tells you they like this game, they are lying. I dont think you can even call this a game.
If you check the player reviews on that link there are at least two guys that give a good opinion about the game. They may be joking, or not, but everybody have an opinion and the treasure of one man is the garbage of the other. You can be sure that nobody likes a game only if you know every person who has play it.
There is a person who thinks that "Plummers don´t ware ties" is not a bad game. Check the FAQ for that game in gamefaqs.com.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue May 08, 2007 4:35 pm

the player reviews are joking... If you watch the video review you would understand what i am saying. The game isnt even complete. the AI doesnt work. You can drive through anything. you fall through bridges. you can drive up mountians with ease and off the map. It wasnt even worth the bargain bin price it had. watch the video :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue May 08, 2007 9:30 pm

BryWI you are credit to this forum. ;)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:18 pm

I was going to create a new thread in light of my recent review, but thought I'd just bump this oldie instead. Bring on the ban requests! (or intelligent arguments) :wink: