Christians in America.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Christians in America.

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:02 pm

I was brought up in a Christian house hold. Church on Sundays, prayer meetings, Sunday School (Path Finders) we even helped paint the interior of the church, new years eve at the vicarage - In like Flynn.

And I know there are American people on here and American people I work with that may not necessarily be Christian, but certainly display behaviour that makes me believe that their moral values and attitudes are driven by a higher order. And I do have a lot of respect for that. As the vicar used to say, it's not easy being Christ-like in every day life.

But there has been two events very recently that seem at odds with what I would consider traditional Christian behaviour. Firstly, a recently departed forum member, after a tirade of really foul language, (both in a PM and on the board) said he would pray for me. Eh? And something very similar on Youtube recently where I told a negative poster to: Go Forth and Procreate (not quite those words) and after some fairly non-Christian words, he then apologised for blaspheming. My response was - eh?

So, what gives? Change in culture? A change in Christianity? A change in People. A change in language? I'm confused.

Did the Church relax it rules on swearing? And for that matter being rude and nasty? Or is the whole thing now FUBAR in the USA?

Just wondering.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:14 pm

boy i would so love to talk about this, but i cant
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:21 pm

yeah you can.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Well, Christianity does give one the excuse to continually be a terrible person, correct? I mean, all they need to do is ask to be forgived.. :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Christians in America.

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:50 am

3DOKid wrote: But there has been two events very recently that seem at odds with what I would consider traditional Christian behaviour. .
I can't get too much into this in this thread, but I will suggest that the number of what are considered "traditional" Christians are shrinking. One only needs to look at the number of denominations, sects, off-shoots, break aways, etc...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:58 am

The ones that apologize for acting like *beeps* and say they will pray for you are generally just full of BS. They apologize so that people will not see them for who they truly are and they say they will pray for you because they want to appear higher than you.

In all honesty these are mostly people with low self worth. They know that they are lowly but don't want others to think they are. Many of them aren't even true believers in Jesus's teachings they just go along masquerading because they are afraid of god's wrath and (more importantly to them) what others think.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:44 am

3DOKid wrote:yeah you can.
sorry i cant because i bet many would hate me ALOT more ;)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:07 am

No 3DO kid is right I made some mistakes I regret making, after all it is just video games we were talking about.

Honestly I am a very faithful Christian, but truth be told things I won't share here have well left me a little harsh towards people. Something I do need to work on which is why I agreed to leave the forum. I know why am I here, well because after I said what I said I did feel bad and realized I needed to put things straight because that is what we are supposed to do if you wrong someone you are supposed to correct it. I can't apologize for what I said because I already dug myself a deep old hole. But you are right I caused a rift on here between friends and I used language that is not normal of me and I acted badly.

I can't fix things but it was not out of pity I said I would you know what I said it was because I wronged you and I was seeking forgiveness. But I have already decided I am going to respect your wishes and let this place get back to peace and well I guess that is all I can say. So please just accept that and I will be moving on.
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:25 am

erm...

3DO Experience will you do the honours or should I?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:55 am

It's really hard to say what makes a good Christian, since I'm not one. Language is a non-issue to me, and there's a long list of Old Testament material that is just plain self-evidently ethically wrong (and damn the argument that we're living in a different time, that didn't do a bunch of slaves any good). So what's a "good" Christian?

American Christianity contains a ton of hypocrites, and a ton of really genuinely sweet and noble people. I went to high school for two years in the heart of Alabama. I'm at the Burger King when some of the students come in with God Squad t-shirts on... and they're busted later that night having kinky sex in the back of a van. Do not die laughing, I somehow managed to avoid doing so.

My brother and his idiot friends crashed some Baptist thing for the advertised free pizza... and got locked in. When they finally badgered the guy at the door to let them out, he looks at the girls in the group and says "These boys'll get you pregnant." As far as I'm concerned, both parties were losers in this case.

Another example, though entirely low key this time, is the Mormons. They all tend to be decent people and not hypocrites, but there's a definite good time trying to determine what's better... the guy who made out with a girl and felt he had to marry her because he touched one of her tits (I do not make this up) or my friend Jonathan, who made up the *puff* *stumble around blindly* "bad" Mormon. He's still a devout Christian and a decent person, but we partied hard enough that it would horrify the church. And he drank caffeine. SIN.

So I guess the short version is, I dunno.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 am

There is is hipocacy. In the bible itself and in christians and in everyone. He who is without sin cast the first stone - to borrow a phrase.

Even in Jesus's teachings it turns up. Partly how it's compiled, understood and interpretted and so on.

The whole issue of dogma I find more insipid. Creationism, abortion, sex being some areas - i think some peoples literal interpretation of such things futile and do more harm than good.

However, like in law, it's the spirit of the thing. Christians are supposed to be, and this is how I guage them, christ like. Based on the new testament.

What I struggle with, is people behaving in a very unlike christ way, then with a pang of religion.

"You're a loser, bleep, bleep, bleep, your mother is a whore... I'll pray for you."

Clearly, like me, they aren't christians. I honestly don't think jesus and I would have that style of conversation. I'd be up for it but...

It's like the spirit of the religion is broken. I'm familiar with bad christians, sure, but pious sound bites? I don't understand that.

Happening once okay, but twice? A statistical anomoly ?

In the heat of empassioned anger, a throw-away profound comment? It seems less religious, and more cultural. Hence the title.

Has america reached a stage with christianity that was more prolific in the uk 60 plus years ago. There is no longer a debate; americans are christian, not very traditionaly christ like, and use such language (fear of blaspheming, prayer and so on) as a given...? Just part of the culture?

I see US politicians talk of god and prayer, which is odd to me. Although some in the uk do it now but I would never say, to a colleague or my brother even, I will pray for you. It would be odd since I'm not a chrstian. My words would seem odd and meaningless.

That's not to say in the depths of seemingly unassaiable dispare I haven't. And I can't say they weren't answered.

I'm not out to offend or start fights by the way.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 am

I can answer as to the politicians: They're pandering, of course. We do have quite a lot of fundamentalists who appreciate hearing those things said, and so they are indeed said. It's mostly on the conservative side, to curry votes, but practically any politician finds it advantageous to say that they are a Christian. And we have plenty of church who advise their flock to vote one way or another. We're not private at all with our religion in America, certainly. Just look at those Westboro loons...

Foul language is not really an ingrained part of the culture, but we're moving at such a breakneck pace that people born five years after me grew up in an entirely different world, you know? I'm pretty foul-mouthed for my age group, but it could be that anybody in the 19-22 demographic hears worse at home. It really does vary from place to place. Also keep in mind that hypocrisy really is just that; Bush the Junior slanted toward the hardcore fundamentalists but when questions about Iraq and the rapture came at him he stood there like a deer in the headlights. He wasn't that far into it. The presented face and how people really act in a community is insanely varied.

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:51 pm

fact
Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:43 pm

I don't think the bible or any of Jesus' teachings are hypocritical, but I certainly agree that interpatation leads to it.

One of the things that upsets me is when people catch wind of a church scandal or something, and than procede to write off the bible because of it.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:26 pm

you were right initially.
Christians are FUBAR. Especially in the US where there are 100's of divisions past just Catholic or protestant. And every single of them has a sense of entitlement.

Is it the church that has an issue with swearing? I have been wondering this a lot lately why as a society we get so upset by the works shit and fuck. How is it the end of the world if these words are said on TV or even in conversation.

I take religion completely out of any professional or personal conversations. It doesn't belong in government, schools, or the workplace.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Vance wrote:As far as I'm concerned, both parties were losers in this case.
You mean they never got any pizza?

They teach us in grade school that the pilgrims came to America for religious freedom. Actually they came here to freely practice their own religion. In many places if you went to another town and it turned out you weren't the same kind of Christian, they would hang you. Not joking, they broke a commandment and murdered people because of it. (That's how you knew who was from England LOL j/k) Fast forward to the days of the bible belt (google it) if you are in one church and you don't agree with one of the things they are teaching just go down the road & join one that you do agree with. If one doesn't exist make your own.

As far as I'm concerned if you want to actually be able to call yourself a Christian you have to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and ignore anything that contradicts what he taught. But many if not most Americans are cafeteria christians, they just pick the parts they want and leave the rest.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:49 pm

I think my brother and his friends were losers for being lured in by free pizza when they really had no interest in the event. Ohoho, sticking it to the Baptists teehee.

Especially since I was working as a delivery driver for Pizza Hut at the time.

I think they were losers in general, though.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 pm

3DO Experience wrote: if you are in one church and you don't agree with one of the things they are teaching just go down the road & join one that you do agree with. If one doesn't exist make your own.

As far as I'm concerned if you want to actually be able to call yourself a Christian you have to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and ignore anything that contradicts what he taught. But many if not most Americans are cafeteria christians, they just pick the parts they want and leave the rest.
Excellently worded, and I agree w/you 100%.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:24 pm

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:28 pm

OMG! LOL!!!!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:01 pm

NikeX wrote:Image
wow.