3rd party publishers who gave a token effort.

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

3rd party publishers who gave a token effort.

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:31 am

3DO had some of the big players developing games for it back in the day ... Capcom, Konami, Lucasarts, Namco. But think of what they brought to the table vs. what they could've brought ...

Capcom - SFII is an incredible game, and the 3DO port is awesome! So why stop at that? Imagine if Megaman had seen a release. Or how about if they had ported a Final Fight (3DO needed/needs a side scrolling brawler)

Konami - Why no English Policenauts? Imagine if Snatcher had made it to 3DO, enhanced from the Sega cd version ...

Lucasarts - Day of the Tentacle? Full Throttle? The Dig? All these classic graphic adventures, and we had to settle for an unenhaned port of Rebel Assault.

Namco - Starblade is one of my favorites, but I wanted more. They brought all those complation museum discs out for the Psx ... would have been awesome had 3DO gotten one.

I am happy for what we did get. But sometimes I wonder what might of been if they had given the same type of support EA had ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: 3rd party publishers who gave a token effort.

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:51 am

Trev wrote:Capcom - SFII is an incredible game, and the 3DO port is awesome! So why stop at that? Imagine if Megaman had seen a release. Or how about if they had ported a Final Fight (3DO needed/needs a side scrolling brawler)
Wasn't Mega Man X2 planned? Or at least, rumored? I agree that more Capcom games would have been a good thing though. They were mostly on top of their game back then.
Trev wrote:Namco - Starblade is one of my favorites, but I wanted more. They brought all those complation museum discs out for the Psx ... would have been awesome had 3DO gotten one.
Yeah, seriously. I mean, even the CD-i got a Namco collection. Then again, I don't believe it was developed by Namco, but at least the license was there.. erm.. yeeeaaaahhh..

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 am

Austin wrote:Wasn't Mega Man X2 planned? Or at least, rumored? I agree that more Capcom games would have been a good thing though. They were mostly on top of their game back then.

Rockman X3 was suposed to have been released. I have magazines with advertisements for it. They even printed the FZ- part number of the disk in the ads.

This is a holy grail for me, but so far, no luck.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:29 am

SNK could have allowed more ports. Seriously, Samurai Shodown on the 3DO is very good. Especially, when you consider other ports from the 3DO to the PS1/Saturn.

So, Magic Lord? Metal Slug? Viewpoint?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:46 pm

3DOKid wrote:SNK could have allowed more ports. Seriously, Samurai Shodown on the 3DO is very good. Especially, when you consider other ports from the 3DO to the PS1/Saturn.

So, Magic Lord? Metal Slug? Viewpoint?
I hadn't thought of them, but you're right. Would have filled in some holes in the 3DO library nicely.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:35 pm

Yeah, Viewpoint on 3DO would have rocked! Although I heard the PS1 port was ghastly. So maybe if they put a lot of work into making a port as good as Samurai Shodown.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:07 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Yeah, Viewpoint on 3DO would have rocked! Although I heard the PS1 port was ghastly. So maybe if they put a lot of work into making a port as good as Samurai Shodown.
It's pretty much identical. only the PS1 version is as hard as old nails. It's so hard it's not fun.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:12 pm

Oh, bad cause it' hard? The original is tough but with an MVS at least you can change the difficulty. Not that that makes a difference in some of the games.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Well, it is an arcade game, designed to eat your wallet.. Thats my only gripe with neo geo games.. end bosses etc are insanely disproportionate to the difficult setting itself. And i suck at most of them, but do enjoy playing those ive collected so far despite this.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:32 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Oh, bad cause it' hard? The original is tough but with an MVS at least you can change the difficulty. Not that that makes a difference in some of the games.
I've been played both, and i don't think it looks or sounds any different (think), but the PS1 version is hearting-sinkingly hard. I converted the PS1 version to play on my PSP on the train home, and then more recently (yesterday) played the MVS version and it was easier, even in MVS mode.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:01 pm

bitrate wrote:
Rockman X3 was suposed to have been released.
I would love to see this running on 3do!

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:11 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Yeah, Viewpoint on 3DO would have rocked! Although I heard the PS1 port was ghastly. So maybe if they put a lot of work into making a port as good as Samurai Shodown.
I really like the PS1 version. They completely revamped the visuals and it looks great. I still love the style of the Neo-Geo game, but the PS1 version is definitely worth owning if you like Viewpoint.

It does have some collision issues though that can make certain points in the game absurdly difficult, such as the fourth stage boss.. not that he wasn't already tough to begin with.
bitrate wrote:Rockman X3 was suposed to have been released. I have magazines with advertisements for it. They even printed the FZ- part number of the disk in the ads.

Is it possible to scan the magazine advertisements? That would be awesome to see as I never saw any myself.. I was really only going by memory in which I remember reading in a very early 3DO "FAQ" that had Rockman X2 listed.

I do have X3 on the PlayStation (owned it on the Saturn in the past) and if the 3DO port was to be anything like those (as basic as they are when it comes to ports), it would have been very welcome addition to the system's library. Do you think there is an actual build of it hiding somewhere?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Austin wrote:
bitrate wrote:Rockman X3 was suposed to have been released. I have magazines with advertisements for it. They even printed the FZ- part number of the disk in the ads.

Is it possible to scan the magazine advertisements? That would be awesome to see as I never saw any myself.
I think there might already be a scan buried somewhere here on the forum. Somebody did one a while back I'm pretty sure, but I can't remember who (maybe bitrate)

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Austin wrote: Is it possible to scan the magazine advertisements? That would be awesome to see as I never saw any myself.. I was really only going by memory in which I remember reading in a very early 3DO "FAQ" that had Rockman X2 listed.

Sure. I believe I have three magazines with advertisements for Rockman X3 for the 3DO.

Austin wrote:Do you think there is an actual build of it hiding somewhere?

I really hope so.

I know Gir Draxa said a long time ago that he contacted Capcom of Japan and was told that the game was released in extremely low numbers.

I have never seen anything, anywhere... and believe me, I have looked.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 pm

bitrate wrote:
Austin wrote:Do you think there is an actual build of it hiding somewhere?
I really hope so.
Me too.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Ok, here are some ads for 3DO Rockman X3 taken from a few different magazines:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:46 pm

Wow, that's a great scan! Not sure what I (thought) I remembered, but this one is much better ... thanks for sharing bitrate. :)

Looks like of all the games advertised, Rockman is the only one w/out a confirmed release ...

What mag are these from, btw?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:48 pm

Beautiful, I really wish we get to play this one day!

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Agreed, what a shame it was never released :cry:

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:07 am

That is awesome Bitrate! Thanks for posting these! :)

It's crazy that they even have a price listed.. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that what you heard rumored actually turns out true (that this was released in extremely limited numbers).

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:12 pm

That should be our new holy grail.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 am

Agreed.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:10 am

While im not a fan of megaman titles, it would be a good title for the 3DO to have, good platformers are rare for the system.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Trev wrote: What mag are these from, btw?

They are from these two. I believe I have a couple of other mags that also advertise Rockman X3 for the 3DO too.

ImageImage

sneth wrote:That should be our new holy grail.

It has been one of my 3DO holy grails for a very long time. It's rumored that this game was released for the 3DO but was quickly recalled.

I'm not sure what the story is, but I will remain vigilant.

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Wow that's so interesting Bitrate, Lets hope we can find out some more info on this elusive title :)