3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:17 pm

D really does rock! Welcome!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:01 pm

3DO Kid wrote: 3. New Users are encourage to properly introduce themselves.
Allright then, let's have some lines about myself - I guess after being a member for almost a year now, one could call it overdue regarding the forum rules. :)

I am 28 years old, living in Berlin and I studied Cello and Philosophy.

I grew up with Commodore Amiga computers, highly upgraded and customized them - my first computer was an A500 back in 1991. I used
to hear about the 3DO since 1993, but this machine, though fascinating, never got any popular in Germany.
I bought myself a "gaming console hardware bible book" in the year 2000 and suddenly got aware of the fact that there was eBay in my computer and by now earned money on my bank account. ;) Hehe, that's what I call a cognition.
So very soon there was my first 3DO in my house, a PAL Goldstar unit and it was broken by transport. Hmmm... I was able to fix it somehow, but was nevertheless annoyed, because this unit didn't have a S-Video port. Composite sucks. :)
So this unit got replaced very soon by a FZ-1, which worked very fine.
Getting aware more and more of the NTSC / PAL issues, and being unpleased about some motion and sound not running synchroneously, I decided to downgrade the status of my PAL FZ-1 to "spare parts" in favour of a new NTSC FZ-1 which is still working just fine (but I replaced the battery once)!

Over the years I got something what one could call a collection, I guess it's around 50 games I own (all original, don't worry guys. ;) ).
But I would consider myself more the "benchmark" kind of guy and not the collector type. I was always fascinated by hardware, and I had my greatest moments of joy within my Amiga time, when little hardware modifications gained 1,5% more of performance, or when demos written by coder-groups demonstrated me, what my hardware was able to do. You know this feeling - I guess a bit like when being with your private sports car on the Nurburg Ring for the first time. ;)

There was this certain fascination for the 3DO's hardware from the very beginning. On one hand because it's somehow some sort of spiritual successor of the Amiga computers (or the first "real" CD32 ;) ), thanks to Dave Needle and RJ Mical having designed the hardware. On the other hand the awareness, that the potential offered by this hardware never really got unleashed.

I am a friend of homebrew software and, though looking backwards by sticking to old hardware, at the same time looking forward somehow, by appreciating progression and new things to come. This is probably why I wouldnt call myself a collector, because playing the same old games over and over again wouldnt really satisfy me - but this is all a matter of personal opinion, of course, and at the same time I can really understand what a collector's spirit is about!

I am convinced that the 3DO would be the perfect medium for all homebrew in the style of the middle 90s, since it's outstanding 2D capabilities combined with basic 3D elements. Only the internal BIOS keeps a lock in front of that. Since my history with AMIGA computers and also experiences with the NeoGeo and it's wonderful UniBIOS, I still have this vision of a new, 100% compatible BIOS file for the 3DO which would finally make the hardware accessible for all the wonderful things that could be done with it.
But unfortunately, I am not a programmer - except for having done a little bit of cute BASIC 15 years ago, I am absolutely unskilled in that. ;)

Instead I've spoken to a lot of programmers by now, collecting ideas and concepts, also made some paper sketches of the menu structure of a possible new BIOS system - and so I keep dreaming on. ;)

I never owned a Playstation, nor a N64 or any new generation consoles.

I've spend a lot of time with the 3DO playing games like Out of this World, Flashback, Return Fire (basically mainly because of my Amiga backround, I think ;) ), as well as Road Rash, The Need For Speed, Gex, Sherlock Holmes, Shockwave and Alone In The Dark. Pretty mainstream I guess. :)
Anyway, I always found it a pitty, that there haven't been any reasonable 2D shooters on this platform like R-Type e.g..
"Total Eclipse" maybe comes close, but finally doesn't count. ;)

So far, I would say - it obviously already got more than just "a few lines".
And apologies for a poor German's crude English! ;)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Jones wrote: And apologies for a poor German's crude English! ;)
Your English is fine ... better than many actually. :wink:

I'd say welcome to the forum, but since you've been around for a bit I'll just say thanks for the intro. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:05 pm

I remember reading about the Amiga's popularity in Germany, it was always an intriguing and I suppose exotic thing to us Brits. Especially the demo crews you chaps had over there. I spent hours downloading demo's via FTP and taking them home to my A1200

Interesting you mention the 3DO-to-Amiga link. I think some parts of the 3DO community back in the day felt a lot more Amigaphiles would make the jump to Needle's next venture -- but it wasn't to be I suppose.

Anyway, thanks for the proper introduction, it is greatly appreciated. And please, don't worry at all about the English. I just banned a native speaker who appeared to have a far less command of the language.

Take care,

3DOKid.

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:14 pm

3DOKid wrote:I remember reading about the Amiga's popularity in Germany, it was always an intriguing and I suppose exotic thing to us Brits.
Yes, I guess Germany was the country where the Amiga computers
celebrated their major success. Much because they've proven to be
quite versatile and superior to Atari and IBM computers at the end
of the 80s / beginning of the 90s.
We also had a lot of second party hardware producers like "Phase 5"
that built processor boards and graphic cards.
But most people, initially including me, didn't even realize for a long
time that those upgrades existed and sticked to the stock hardware instead.

Since a stock A500 and later also a stock A1200 aged quite quickly,
those machines weren't able to compete with IBM compatibles anymore.
A stock A3000 or A4000 were surely powerful machines, but highly
expensive.
Commodore made several very questionable marketing decisions then,
introducing the A500+, the A600 and the CD32 - the rest is history.

What personal computers have been popular in the UK back then?
The Acorn Archimedes, I guess?
3DOKid wrote: Especially the demo crews you chaps had over there. I spent hours downloading demo's via FTP and taking them home to my A1200
We had some quite skilled groups - but the best people have been
located in the Scandinavian countries, in my opinion. One example would
be the "Future Crew". Later, some former Future Crew's members founded
"Remedy" which is still producing those demo style "3D Mark" benchmarks
and also some commercially successful games like "Max Payne".

*EDIT*: Sorry, I mixed it up! The 3D Mark is of course made by
"Futuremark" and not "Remedy". But Futuremark was as well founded
by some of the "Future Crew"'s former members, as far as I know.
3DOKid wrote: Interesting you mention the 3DO-to-Amiga link. I think some parts of the 3DO community back in the day felt a lot more Amigaphiles would make the jump to Needle's next venture -- but it wasn't to be I suppose.
I think the problem was just the advertising - because there was almost
none here in Germany. And if the 3DO appeared in magazines every now
and then, it was introduced as the machine made by the former EA chief Trip Hawkins.
No connection to Commodore or the Amiga computers had been made - and also I
found out about it not until many years later.
3DOKid wrote: Anyway, thanks for the proper introduction, it is greatly appreciated. And please, don't worry at all about the English. I just banned a native speaker who appeared to have a far less command of the language.
Thanks! :)

ajgiov
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ajgiov » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi everyone, new to the site from NY/CT, USA

I lost my 3DO CIB while away at college when back home the house suffered a major flood in 1997.

Now at 31 years old I am reclaiming my childhood games now that I have my own house & I am trading money for memories at an alarming rate :lol:

I started with my NES collection which has grown to near 50 CIB titles and now begin the 3DO adventure.
Last edited by ajgiov on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:12 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:43 pm

Welcome! I'm a NES collector myself and I also lost 3DO items to water. Lucky for me it was only a leak and I only lost boxes.

r3tr0g4m3r
3DO ZERO USER

Hello!

Post by r3tr0g4m3r » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi folks! Just joined. I'm of 1973 vintage. I had a 3DO when it was first released. Love the system. My favs are Twisted, Need for Speed and Crash n' Burn to name a few off the top of my head. I just recently re-acquired an FZ-1 in near perfect condition. I'm loving the memories and sharing them with my daughter. She likes "Twisty" as well. The wife just rolls her eyes. :)

I've got a software development and IT operations background. I build PCs. I tinker (BADLY) with soldering irons. I play guitar. I like cars. I'm quite busy, so not much time for gaming. Boo.

I also have 8-bit and 16-bit "they who shall not be named" consoles as well. These consoles are all hooked-up to a 50" plasma with 7.1 surround sound. Whoa.

Cheers!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 pm

All the best people were birthed in 1973 :)

Welcome aboard :)

r3tr0g4m3r
3DO ZERO USER

Post by r3tr0g4m3r » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:06 pm

3DOKid wrote:All the best people were birthed in 1973 :)

Welcome aboard :)
Indeed, thank you. I'm buying you a virtual pint!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:35 pm

I reckon it's time I introduced myself. If it hasn't become apparent in my posts so far, I'm a Saturn fanatic, so you can expect to become sick of me comparing 3DO games to Saturn games in the same genre before long. :wink: Never heard of the 3DO back in the day, as I had no interest in video games during its lifespan. My interest in consoles was reignited by my brother and I getting a Saturn for Christmas of 1997, much too late for the 3DO to fall under my radar.

I acquired my first 3DO a week or so ago, a Model FZ-1. The Saturn actually helped lead me to the purchase, since some of my favorite developers for the Saturn had previously made games for the 3DO. Besides that, I'm tantalized by the 3DO's selection of RPGs and FMV-heavy games. Call me crazy, but I love a bit of FMV fun.

Glad to have a 3DO at last, and looking forward to sharing the experience of digging into its library with you all. :D

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:06 am

The Saturn & 3DO were/are both very much underappreciated consoles from the psx driven generation. Welcome to the forum. :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:00 am

Another fan of the Saturn! Welcome aboard.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks, guys!

VertigoProcess
3DO ZERO USER

Post by VertigoProcess » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey, i'm vertigoprocess or vp for short... I'm a over all collector of systems and the 3do has always caught my eye for some reason i don't really know why... but i finally found the right deal on a Panasonic fz 1 that although needs some work i love it (my be asking for some help fixing it sometime soon since i am not yet familiar with the hardware). I actually also have a fz-10 on the way, I spotted it and the price was to good to let it go. I am a retro game refurber that collects and works on all systems I can get my hands on.

Look foward to talking to all of you!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Welcome to the forum vp.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:45 pm

VertigoProcess wrote:Hey, i'm vertigoprocess or vp for short... I'm a over all collector of systems and the 3do has always caught my eye for some reason i don't really know why... but i finally found the right deal on a Panasonic fz 1 that although needs some work i love it (my be asking for some help fixing it sometime soon since i am not yet familiar with the hardware). I actually also have a fz-10 on the way, I spotted it and the price was to good to let it go. I am a retro game refurber that collects and works on all systems I can get my hands on.

Look foward to talking to all of you!
welcome aboard, the board :)

3DOKid.

Scarlettkitten
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Scarlettkitten » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:35 pm

Welcome :D

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:55 am

Glad to have you.

Denymetanol
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Denymetanol » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Good Morning. This is my first visit here. My FZ-1 needs know all brilliant people of this forums, Cheers and Best wishes from Spain ;-)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Welcome. :)

boabject78
3DO ZERO USER

Post by boabject78 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 am

Evening all. First of all i have to congratulate everyone involved in the creation and continuing greatness of this forum as its nice to know there are still plenty of like minded 3DO owners out there. I'm another 70's child who was brought up owning or playing just about every computer/console/handheld that was released my favs being the Atari Lynx, Amiga, Neo Geo and of course the mighty 3DO.
I've always gravitated towards systems that have killer hardware but poor support, probably the reason I've never owned anything with SONY printed on it.
I've just finished Lucienne's Quest for the first time, 50+ hours, and I'm still impressed with the 3DO after all these years.
Looking forward to talking with all the forum members as I have a few questions that I hope you can all shed some light on.
Big respects again to everyone involved in keeping the 3DO and this forum alive and kicking.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:19 am

Welcome!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Hello Mate,

Luciennes Quest is one of my favourites. It was panned for being a bit short, but it's nice and simple, it has a great story, good characters and all in all a nice solid game.

I owned every Sony console. ;)

3DOKid.
boabject78 wrote:Evening all. First of all i have to congratulate everyone involved in the creation and continuing greatness of this forum as its nice to know there are still plenty of like minded 3DO owners out there. I'm another 70's child who was brought up owning or playing just about every computer/console/handheld that was released my favs being the Atari Lynx, Amiga, Neo Geo and of course the mighty 3DO.
I've always gravitated towards systems that have killer hardware but poor support, probably the reason I've never owned anything with SONY printed on it.
I've just finished Lucienne's Quest for the first time, 50+ hours, and I'm still impressed with the 3DO after all these years.
Looking forward to talking with all the forum members as I have a few questions that I hope you can all shed some light on.
Big respects again to everyone involved in keeping the 3DO and this forum alive and kicking.

boabject78
3DO ZERO USER

Post by boabject78 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. Hope I didn't come across as a Sony basher there, I've played plenty playstation over the years but I just never got sucked into the hype of the fashionable grey console.
I actually sold my first 3do and CD32 to raise cash for the impending M2 release that never happened so i always felt the PS was a poor substitute.

I agree Luciennes Quest was a bit short but it still rocks the soundtrack sounds lovely thru the amp.
Any suggestions on the next 3do adventure game i should check out will be most welcome.

KnutOwen
SPAMMER

Post by KnutOwen » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:05 am

Hey, all. My name is Knut and I have recently taken up the collecting of old electronics. Though I was aware of the 3DO I never really sought out to own one, but I found one at the flea market last weekend and, upon buying it for a cool five bucks, have decided to become obsessed with it as I have with the Dreamcast. I am very much looking forward to my days ahead as a 3DO enthusiast.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 am

5 bucks well spent. Welcome to the forums.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 am

If you made Lucienne's Quest last for over 50 hours, you cant really complain that its short!

Its been too long since i played my copy, but i dont think i even got 20 hours out of it? Maybe my memory is just shot, but id say 50 hours is a very long j-rpg. How long is say Chrono Trigger if you do EVERYTHING? 30-40?

boabject78
3DO ZERO USER

Post by boabject78 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:32 am

I was enjoying the game so I strung it out as far as possible. I still use a FFVII save thats into the hundreds of hours and its still not completed yet.