Just beat D2 on the Dreamcast...

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Just beat D2 on the Dreamcast...

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue May 29, 2007 3:14 am

Holy crap this was one of the greatest games that I've ever played. Gorgeous graphics, stunning music, fantastic story. So much detail was put into character and character development.

I was really having second thoughts about getting this game. I did have extra cash but almost all the reviews I read about it gave it mediocre scores. They complimented the graphics and plot but hated the gameplay and felt the pacing was too slow making the game boring.

I was only bored on one occasion. This past week I've been glued to my TV playing it.

An avant-garde, innovative, original, unique title. It's not just a video game, it's an experience.

Have any of you guys played D2? What were your thoughts on it?
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Harko79
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Harko79 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:28 am

I also like the game very much, maybe it is lacking some gameplay but overall a solid game.
I would recommend the japanese version since the american is censored ( some nasty tentacle stuff ).

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue May 29, 2007 5:25 pm

I read from an IGN article that 60 seconds of footage has been cut or altered. Not too much. 5 seconds from the tentacle scene in the beginning has been cut.

Much of the content is still left intact. There is full frontal nudity and you do fight that robotic vagina boss.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed May 30, 2007 8:46 am

UnholyTancred wrote:I read from an IGN article that 60 seconds of footage has been cut or altered. Not too much. 5 seconds from the tentacle scene in the beginning has been cut.

Much of the content is still left intact. There is full frontal nudity and you do fight that robotic vagina boss.
I have a copy that I've only ever played as far half up the snowy slope. I then always get killed by them creatures and then give up.

There is meant to be secret footage of the 3DO M2 version of D2 buried in there somewhere.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Wed May 30, 2007 8:57 am

The M2 footage was only in the Japanese version and was cut out of the American one.

You actually lost playing D2? lawl

The game is so easy. I never died. I didn't think it's be possible to die. There's health sprays all over the area and you can easily hunt rabbits and birds for meat. When I fought the last boss I had over 30 health sprays...
-Vladimir Lenin

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:04 pm

I never got past disc one, but I didn't play it very much. I thought it was a bit dull, w/the same snowy backdrops, and the voiceless character of Laura. Maybe I'll pop it in my DC and give it another whirl.

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:45 am

Its a great game but i stuck in the third cd,due to work i left it and never continued... :cry:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:06 am

UnholyTancred wrote:The M2 footage was only in the Japanese version and was cut out of the American one.

The game is so easy. I never died. I didn't think it's be possible to die. There's health sprays all over the area and you can easily hunt rabbits and birds for meat. When I fought the last boss I had over 30 health sprays...
:(

I would have been better at the M2 version. DOn't hate me becasue I'm pathetic sometimes!

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:11 am

3DOKid wrote:
UnholyTancred wrote:The M2 footage was only in the Japanese version and was cut out of the American one.

:(

I would have been better at the M2 version. DOn't hate me becasue I'm pathetic sometimes!
Yea probably because it would've been a point and click adventure :P

Have any of you guys played Enemy Zero? I tried playing it the other day but the response time is killing my patience. Whenever you're in "FMV mode" and you're searching areas for crap, it takes 5 seconds for the damn game to realize you hit left or you hit right or you hit anything. It's so damn annoying staring at the screen for 10 seconds because you're unsure if the game registered that you hit A only to realize a few seconds later there is no FMV for that area.

I played for around an hour and all I did was turn turn the elevator on and get killed when trying to access it by one of those invisible monsters. If you were to check a walkthrough you'd realize that this entire segment would be in the first paragraph. It's not that I was confused or unsure of what to do in Enemy Zero. It's because I had to wait so damn long to do anything.
-Vladimir Lenin

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:51 pm

here are the 4 trailers I've made / 8 - 10 min. each, with Kenji Enos OST and the most important scenes:

D2 - movie 1:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vz28HcRsNx0

D2 - movie 2:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0P0PJASXvPI

D2 - movie 3:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rAQv8Ai-mrY

D2 - movie 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy-tCGg0LpU

rated: mature ;)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Outstanding stuff. Thank you.

This is less a sequel to D and more a sequel to The Thing (John Carpenter) isn't it? The Thing II or Thingies. ;)

Plus there are some, how can I say this? unusual phallic connotations throughout this.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:58 pm

I loved the techno/electronica tracks of D2. Downloaded the soundtrack from some website, great stuff. Kenji Eno is as great of a musician as he is a developer.

And yes it was John Carpenter's The Thing (one of my favorite movies). There aren't that many similarities.

The Thing received it's own half-assed sequel for the PS2 and Xbox. It's mediocre in every aspect and virtually unplayable due to the flamethrower controls. What were they thinking? To kill the large enemies you have to gun them down until they're low on health and then burn them with the flamethrower. You'll sooner burn yourself and your teammates to death before setting the aliens aflame.
-Vladimir Lenin