All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Lurkers

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Straight questions:

1. Why do people lurk?

2. What do you think would stop people lurking and start taking part?

Quick Point:

When it says 26 Guests and 2 members. Many of those 26 (not all) will be web spiders and bots and proxies and URL filtering companies. A 13:1 lurker ratio would be creepy. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 pm

I can't speak for this forum, since I joined the first month it started. However, I was a lurker on your blog for years, and didn't start posting until after I joined here. I guess the reason for lurking and not posting was perhaps a feeling of not being able to contribute much. My collection was more modest, my knowledge not that expansive, etc ...

I came to realize though that those things while nice, arent the be-all end-all. Genuine enthusiasm is where its at, imho. I love reading posts from gamers who have recently discovered 3DO, and are excited about it! Maybe they only have a few games (or maybe even none yet) but they get a kick out of , say the 3DO's library ... the fmv cult classics, the large region free import selection, seeing psx ports that don't measure up to 3DO originals, etc ... Something is bringing people to this forum, even if its only to lurk.

I'm really glad I've been a regular poster here. In the past 5 yrs or so I've made lots of friends, have had a ton of great trades, I've learned a great deal, I've discovered stuff I never even knew existed, and I've almost doubled the size of my collection!

Maybe this thread you've started 3DOKid will encourage more to join. I can honestly, its worth it. I love this place! :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Trev... A one time lurker, u can't be serious. So now that u reached demi-god status u are inherently better than a newbie or a lurker I assume right?

By chance are u actually the 3devil incarnate, as u seem to be more antagonistic then informative. I mean everyone has an opinion, but what have u contributed besides personal interpretation and open bias, save the mention of fence straddling?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Why are you trying to pick a fight elitegamer?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:09 pm

I discovered 3DO Kid through Youtube, and this site through his blog. When I was just getting into 3DO, I was looking up pretty much every game on the (incomplete) list of games on Wikipedia, (It wasn't an obsession yet, I do that all the time) and I think this was one of the first videos of his I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z1rZ80qOPM

God there's something fascinating about this game. So creepy, unique, strange, crappy, amazing...I wanted a 3DO from then on. It wasn't until a few weeks ago I discovered the blog, (Where I learned who Yamada Kamachi was, which, I have to admit, kind of took the mystery out of it) and I have to admit I lurked there for a while before coming here a few days ago. Bottom line, there's no reason to lurk. It's probably because you think your comments are going to be useless, but contributors simply love to know that people appreciate their work.

*EDIT*Wish I had posted my comment sooner. HEAVEN OR HELL? FIGHT!
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:12 pm

well im a long time member and im more of a lurker now, mainly because i havent played the 3do since i bought the 3do game decathalon

i also seem to miss all the drama when it happens, untill now :lol:
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Come on Trev this is the net... I don't know about u, but I don't fight with surreal or imaginary personalities. Not to suggest your not a real person, but rather to say... I'm just looking for clarity here. You might be a genuine person, but if I were to make an opinion of you by what I've read amongst these threads. You would be guilty of picking fights. I've merely asked a few questions. Don't be so quick to take offense dude!

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Unlike you, I wouldn't be delighted to see people get banned, you on the other hand. I'm not sure you can honestly say the same. To one another were nobodies, just forum tags and comments. If I've said anything that was perceived offensive to you, that's because you undeniably know its true as you know your own character better then I.

If I were to pick a fight, it wouldn't be with you! It would be against Malcolm Fox or Shakey Jake :lol: Seriously why are u so serious and quick to make such a remark, what have I done to deserve exactly what I've pointed out in terms of your comments to othermembers?

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:29 pm

BAD

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Well, now that a perfectly good thread has likely been ruined (I smell troll!)..

(just "bringing it back"!)

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Austin wrote:Well, now that a perfectly good thread has likely been ruined (I smell troll!)..

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss27 ... t-2011.gif

I was going to post something like that but I didn't know what the rule was here about requesting a ban, I know on some forums the mods get uppity and think you're trying to steal their job.
BAD

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:32 pm

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:I was going to post something like that but I didn't know what the rule was here about requesting a ban, I know on some forums the mods get uppity and think you're trying to steal their job.
Haha, it's more or less an inside joke of sorts.. :lol:

I would like to point out though, a very particular person in this thread has been acting strangely similar to someone who happened to be banned right before he joined up last week. That's all I'll say to that.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:33 pm

*edit: double post

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Austin wrote:
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:I was going to post something like that but I didn't know what the rule was here about requesting a ban, I know on some forums the mods get uppity and think you're trying to steal their job.

I would like to point out though, a very particular person in this thread has been acting strangely similar to someone who happened to be banned right before he joined up last week. That's all I'll say to that.
When you're banned, is it your IP that's banned or just your account? If it's not the IP then that doesn't do anything, they can just hop on again, and even if it is the IP they can take their grubby fingers to a School or Library Computer.
BAD

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:01 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:When you're banned, is it your IP that's banned or just your account?
I am not sure.

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:25 am

I don't want any special credit for this link showing up in the forum, but I think it was started because of questions I've posed. Cultivation people not annihilation. Lets not treat the newbies so harshly.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:28 am

Austin wrote:

I know I'm new too and I don't want to be pointing fingers but I was thinking the same thing. The quick jabs at Trev out of nowhere, the poor spelling, the weird idiosyncratic wordings... it just seems a bit too coincidental, no?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:22 am

Anyways. I'll bring this back on topic. I could be accused of being a lurker lately. I just dont have anything useful to say lately. /me shrugs.

CasetheCorvetteman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CasetheCorvetteman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 am

I am here cause it is quite obvious this is the best 3DO forum on the internet.

I dont post very often cause when i do, there is very little interaction from others, and that makes for it getting boring real quick.

I did recently try reasonbly hard to increase interest in the NEO-GEO Forlife forum by posting numerous polls and taking part in quite a few of the high score challenges, however there were a couple of members there that mensioned things like "this has been done before, use the search" which is a HUGE turn off to any forum user. It is ultimately followed up by using the search, bringing a 2 yr old thread to the top of the list, then having someone say "this thread is 2 yrs old... blah blah blah..." At the end of the day, these 2 instances are what kills small forums. Its like saying "we have allready discussed this, bring up a new topic or stay silent" so most people stay silent...

There is a small few on this forum that make an effort to get the flow going, and who knows why others dont join in... I quite like it here, but it is very slow moving...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:06 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:
Austin wrote:Well, now that a perfectly good thread has likely been ruined (I smell troll!)..

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss27 ... t-2011.gif

I was going to post something like that but I didn't know what the rule was here about requesting a ban, I know on some forums the mods get uppity and think you're trying to steal their job.
We encourage it. Love it. Need it.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:07 am

elitegamer wrote:I don't want any special credit for this link showing up in the forum, but I think it was started because of questions I've posed. Cultivation people not annihilation. Lets not treat the newbies so harshly.
Let's not turn them into a repressed huddle either, or indeed a crusade.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:08 am

elitegamer wrote:Trev... A one time lurker, u can't be serious. So now that u reached demi-god status u are inherently better than a newbie or a lurker I assume right?

By chance are u actually the 3devil incarnate, as u seem to be more antagonistic then informative. I mean everyone has an opinion, but what have u contributed besides personal interpretation and open bias, save the mention of fence straddling?
Sorry?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:57 am

A triple post? Are you trying to get banned? :lol:

Ok, I haven't been able to do much more than pop in and out lately but I missed who got banned last and why but those comments do seem to be coming out of left field. As far as IP's it really depends.

ArfredHitchcacku, why did you find that game creepy? Oh and I like your avatar!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

pmerrill
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pmerrill » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:52 am

I object to the term "lurker" it makes it sound as if I am in the bushes at night looking into windows. How about calling us "readers"? I don't post because I haven't had my 3DO hooked up for a couple of years, so I don't have too much to say. I still love it and will put it into service again for sure. When I do that I will probably post about it but for now, I'm a "reader"!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:05 am

pmerrill wrote:I object to the term "lurker" it makes it sound as if I am in the bushes at night looking into windows. How about calling us "readers"? I don't post because I haven't had my 3DO hooked up for a couple of years, so I don't have too much to say. I still love it and will put it into service again for sure. When I do that I will probably post about it but for now, I'm a "reader"!
Fair comment. :)

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:30 am

"Lurkers" might be a growing trend anymore. I notice a lot more facebook integration blah blah etc etc. I think hands-free "registration" is becoming more mainstream. If you really REALLY wanted more people to post, you might consider hooking into this. So, for example, I could post as my facebook persona rather than JohnnyDude.

Personally, I wouldn't like that change. Any forums' registration process is a deterrent for some, but that changes the tones of discussions. There would be a lot more bungee posters who walk in from the street, cough up an opinion and walk out for good. That would be more like the "comments" thread in blogs. I prefer that people have a more vested interest in what they say and getting replies.

Besides, my "JohnnyDude" persona is creatively-inspired and rock solid. Nobody would dare guess that it masks an ordinary guy with a name like "Johnny".

I suppose you could also do more more of those goofy topic that rile up the audience. More polls! More trivia! More contests! Character battle #837!

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:42 am

JohnnyDude wrote:More polls! More trivia! More contests! Character battle #837!
This is exactly what I dislike about 75% of the other forums I visit. And yet I still visit them (probably because I am bored at work). This is one of the few forums I visit outside of work as well. :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:45 pm

I kinda like polls ... I think they stimulate discussion. It also is a good gauge on readers vs. posters, because you can compare the number of votes against the number of comments.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Polls are interesting but...

Trivia is essential. 3DO Trivia anyway :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:18 pm

3DOKid wrote:Polls are interesting but...

Trivia is essential. 3DO Trivia anyway :)
Hmmm ... how about a poll asking if people like 3DO trivia? :wink: