Peter Pan: A Story Painting Adventure

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Peter Pan: A Story Painting Adventure

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:07 am

I remember a fair amount of adverts for this game early in 3DO's life. A kid's title courtesy of EA.

Like several titles that were advertised at the start, this one never saw the light of day on 3DO. Anyone know why? The kids division of EA did release a Seame Street game for the multiplayer ... why no Peter Pan?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:14 am

I had this game back in the day. It was two games on one CD. The other game was Eagle Eye Mysteries. I think Eagle Eye Mysteries would have been a great game for the 3DO

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Calavera wrote:I had this game back in the day. It was two games on one CD. The other game was Eagle Eye Mysteries. I think Eagle Eye Mysteries would have been a great game for the 3DO
So it did get released ... just not on 3DO. Wonder why, especially since EA was such a big supporter? I wonder how close it was to an official release before it got axed ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:43 pm

I've never even heard of that title.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:42 am

3DO Experience wrote:I've never even heard of that title.
Really? I actually have a few advertisements of it. If I can find any (key word being if) maybe I'll scan some.

ajgiov
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ajgiov » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:04 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I've never even heard of that title.
Same here.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:43 am

Here are some photos of both Peter Pan and Eagle Eye Mysteries that I had saved for another site awhile back

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 am

I hadn't heard of it either. Looks pretty neat though.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:02 pm

It's pretty decent, in each scene you have many choices on how to proceed, for example in the screenshot I posted where he needs to wake wendy. You could use the pencil and draw a rooster to wake her up, or draw an alarm clock etc.. or you could use the eraser to erase the tree branch so the bird will fly around and make noises that will wake her up. or you could use the paintbrush and paint the sun in the sky to make it morning so she will wake up, and sally does something too, lol.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Calavera wrote:It's pretty decent, in each scene you have many choices on how to proceed, for example in the screenshot I posted where he needs to wake wendy. You could use the pencil and draw a rooster to wake her up, or draw an alarm clock etc.. or you could use the eraser to erase the tree branch so the bird will fly around and make noises that will wake her up. or you could use the paintbrush and paint the sun in the sky to make it morning so she will wake up, and sally does something too, lol.
Scribblenauts has nothing on Peter Pan. 8)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:41 am

Finally took the time to scan some ads for this game. I've only found a couple so far, but here they are for the curious ...

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:47 am

Interesting. The screens in the magazine look similar enough to the ones posted earlier in the thread.

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Here my take ladies & gents. Hopefully it will be insightful or at least in the ballpark. Initially my thoughts were; Trip sold the technology, Ea Kids division didn't port it over in time to be encrypted, to good reason that we 3DOians don't have it!

Then I took another look at the adverts that Trev posted and it hit! What's the common denominator in the 2 page layout? (Excellent pics btw Trev). The answer will make you say uummmm! (Well hopefully). All thegames depicted courtesy of Trev and three (3) are all EA games. Yeah I said it there EA baby. However these are (3) separate divisions: eaKids, eaSports (?) and just EA.

So my reasoning goes... Of the 4 games, 1 wasn't released. Why? considering in Peter projected release and all the to do happening in Trip's office. Maybe because P. Pan is Disney! Maybe some licensing issues, maybe not enough money in the bank...(if you all still with me). Actually, insert all your maybes here...

At the end of it all, not being privy to inside info. If you look at the adverts, i think the final decision must be Peter didn't stack up. I know that might sound insane given the history of good ol' Pete, but were talking EA. Obvious only 3 are allowed on the field at once.

Sure Pete can play, he's good and would have had the chance to prove it. Just 2 bad time expired...

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:20 am

So my reasoning goes... Of the 4 games, 1 wasn't released. Why? considering in Peter projected release and all the to do happening in Trip's office. Maybe because P. Pan is Disney! Maybe some licensing issues, maybe not enough money in the bank...(if you all still with me). Actually, insert all your maybes here...

At the end of it all, not being privy to inside info. If you look at the adverts, i think the final decision must be Peter didn't stack up. I know that might sound insane given the history of good ol' Pete, but were talking EA. Obvious only 3 are allowed on the field at once.
If it were a Disney issue, why would've EA released it for PC? Peter Pan, the character and story, isn't owned by Disney. Disney's film version of it is and any of the copyrights that are directly borne from it, nothing else. I'd imagine it's more likely that kids' games are a small niche. That combined with the niche market that was 3DO and it adds up to smaller sales. With the Sesame Street game, it's probably due to having popular licensed characters would raise the profile of the game.

I doubt Trip Hawkins had anything directly to do with it. It just doesn't follow. With the extremely liberal 3DO licensing, anyone could release whatever they want, as long as the 3DO company got their $3 per game. If Trip also did get the final say, I really doubt we'd have gotten trash like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties and all of the Vivid "games."

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:08 am

^> You have a good point , licensing was extermly liberal. It was not my intention to suggest that Trip had to ok every game, rather I used his name as if to say 3do in general.

I intentally left my remarks under developed to allow for more interjection. Because there are at least a couple hundred games that I've reviewed online that would validate the the 3do hopefuls i.e. unreleased software. If you haven't already, reference "the saddest list ever" posted here by one dubious members... who's name excapes me at this point, but to whom credit is due. I actually found the site , which they had excerpted the info from as well as another.

I would post the link but i don't have my notes handy, some things i still prefer to do the ol' school way- analog baby (good old pen & paper). Anyway the unreleased game count i have been compiling is approaching or surpassed 300 ( if memory serves me well). Again i would post it, but its a work in progress. I want to make sure as not to present duplicate info, plus the list does cause a bit of disappointment to say the least :cry:

Not to detract topics, but how hard is it or would it be to port over or resign a game (pc/cd-roms) to be recognized by the 3do's OS? Theoretically it would seem to be a chance and at least a good idea. I really want to understand why they made the hardware virtuall impenetrable! In lieu of the homebrew progress made with other platforms and 20 yrs. of abandonment, superior technology (modern CPUs and all). You would think that the interested parties would make this "know how" public.

Anyway that's may take... See you next thread.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:54 am

Not to detract topics, but how hard is it or would it be to port over or resign a game (pc/cd-roms) to be recognized by the 3do's OS? Theoretically it would seem to be a chance and at least a good idea. I really want to understand why they made the hardware virtuall impenetrable! In lieu of the homebrew progress made with other platforms and 20 yrs. of abandonment, superior technology (modern CPUs and all). You would think that the interested parties would make this "know how" public.
I don't know anything about programming games myself, but I'd imagine it'd be a lot of effort for no real reward. The rewriting of the whole game would probably be necessary, since the part that reads the code isn't the same across different operating systems.

On the other hand, if someone is willing to write the port, id' probably be doable, though I don't really see a reason to do it. If it were to just play the game, it's a bit silly, since you can play it on whatever you're porting it from, but from a "let's see if I can do this" standpoint, it'd be cool. It sounds similar to what I do at work, actually. I do a lot of SQL coding and there is another guy who does VB and .NET stuff. We can both end up with the same results, depending at what the goal is, but often times one will be better suited than the other for the end result though we both end up doing that "I wonder if I can do that..." thing happening often, just for the heck of it and to better our skills.

If that were the end goal, just for practice and see what you could do, I'd tell someone to go for it for the porting it over but otherwise, it doesn't seem practical, you know?

Also, if the machine is designed on selling the rights to manufacturing the console and minimal royalty checks for the technology, the last thing you'd want it to be is really easy to crack. It's pretty smart business sense.

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:19 pm

I found a list that read Peter Pan was scheduled for release in August of 94'. So maybe EA just scrapped the port because of its sells performance on that other platform.