No Profits

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

No Profits

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:03 pm

I heard a rumour, no doubt on here, that no company (EA, 3DO, Crystal Dynamics, etc) made any profit on any 3DO game. Hence the battered and rushed conversions to other platforms.

Is there evidence anywhere?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure Plumbers must have made a profit. I mean, even if they only sold 1 copy for $50 bucks thats gotta be lik $45 profit.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure Plumbers must have made a profit. I mean, even if they only sold 1 copy for $50 bucks thats gotta be lik $45 profit.
And it still makes them crooks.

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:14 am

:lol: ...Trev you and FrumplOrz still going in on AlferdHitchacku game like that? I'm sure he'll have something to say about. Wonder if he'll bother sharing though.

Alfred don't take it personally. I tried defending Way of the Warrior and nearly got set on the barbecue right beside it! Like what you like, that's what makes us unique as individuals 8)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:21 am

Cyberdillo. That is all.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 am

Laughing ...Trev you and FrumplOrz still going in on AlferdHitchacku game like that? I'm sure he'll have something to say about. Wonder if he'll bother sharing though.
For the record, I have no ill-will towards Alfred. He seems like a legit dude. It's not often that someone who didn't own a 3DO back in the day becomes interested in one, you know? That and the fact that he's the youngest one here (I think?) makes him have a unique perspective on it all.

He may enjoy Plumbers Don't Wear Ties for whatever reason. Maybe he's atoning for some terrible sin in his past life or something, but I have no problem with him liking the game. I may think it's unfathomable but whatever, you know? His liking of it doesn't affect my irresponsible rage towards it.

Either way, it's a message board. It's not a life or death situation like high school lunch room seating, so I say we all just relax and enjoy hating Plumbers Don't Wear Ties together.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Re: No Profits

Post by FrumpleOrz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:16 am

3DOKid wrote:I heard a rumour, no doubt on here, that no company (EA, 3DO, Crystal Dynamics, etc) made any profit on any 3DO game. Hence the battered and rushed conversions to other platforms.

Is there evidence anywhere?
Back on topic though, it seems odd that if the companies kept making games for the console for a few years but never saw a profit on the initial releases that they would keep making more. What would be the point? There had to be a profit. I'd imagine some companies DIDN'T turn a profit but I'd imagine there were some profits, no matter how small for EA at the very least.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:35 am

FrumpleOrz wrote: Either way, it's a message board. It's not a life or death situation like high school lunch room seating, so I say we all just relax and enjoy hating Plumbers Don't Wear Ties together.
Hating on Plumbers Don't Wear Ties always makes me feel relaxed. :wink:

To clarify, just cause someone doesn't share my opinion of a game doesn't mean I have a problem with them ... If that were the case, 3DOKid & I would be at each others throats constantly. And Cyberdillo is great! :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:48 am

Trev wrote:
FrumpleOrz wrote: Either way, it's a message board. It's not a life or death situation like high school lunch room seating, so I say we all just relax and enjoy hating Plumbers Don't Wear Ties together.
Hating on Plumbers Don't Wear Ties always makes me feel relaxed. :wink:

To clarify, just cause someone doesn't share my opinion of a game doesn't mean I have a problem with them ... If that were the case, 3DOKid & I would be at each others throats constantly. And Cyberdillo is great! :P
I've honestly been interested in Cyberdillo for a while. I used to read a magazine as a kid called Game Players and I remember they gave it a lower score, something like 68% I think but the ads I saw for the game in other issues have made it stick with me. I don't know. It looks like my kind of trash. As soon as I'm able to get a copy, I'll weigh in on it. It's my credo. "MY OPINION. ALWAYS."

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 am

Trev wrote:Hating on Plumbers Don't Wear Ties always makes me feel relaxed. :wink:
Hey! HEY! You darned kids. I can't go 5 minutes without someone hatin' on Plumbers. I'm gonna have to read all the threads to track this nonsense down. Bottom line: Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is Choose-Your-Own-Adventure with nice cleavage.

Really now, talk about a game ahead of it's time. It could have brought choose-your-own-adventure back into the mainstream. I mean, just think of what Lara Croft did for the third-person action-adventure genre. The creators of both games had the artistic talent to identify the two key things to vault the genre forward. These "two things" would naturally give the female protagonists eventual back problems, but, oh well.

Rest assured I'm positive there's another game I could join in on unabashed derision. Why not "Shadow: War of Succession"?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:12 am

Given the low licensing fees and such for the 3DO, I would think at least some of the ports (esp. ones like Dragon's Lair and Myst) and low budget titles would have made a modest profit. Sadly, though, I have no hard figures to back that up.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:54 am

I'm sure some companies made profit, however small it was. 3DO wasn't a big success, but it did have a number of titles that sold fairly well.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:06 pm

elitegamer wrote::lol: ...Trev you and FrumplOrz still going in on AlferdHitchacku game like that? I'm sure he'll have something to say about. Wonder if he'll bother sharing though.

Alfred don't take it personally. I tried defending Way of the Warrior and nearly got set on the barbecue right beside it! Like what you like, that's what makes us unique as individuals 8)
Thanks bro, but for the record I don't need a gaurdian. I knew they were just voicing their opinions on the game as well. Maybe they're in shock and disbelief, but at least everyone can agree that the game's crap, liking it or not. Nobody was trying to convince me to like the game or disrespecting my opinions; if someone praised Big Mutha Truckers on the Gameboy Advance too then I might have the same reaction.

As for Way of the Warrior and Shadow War of Succession, watching videos of the game I can't tell what makes it so bad. Normally, I would voice this opinon, but I've never played each game and the only thing I can imagine that really makes a difference in this, why people hate it so much, is the control. Same with Kasumi Ninja, looks fun, I don't see the issue. OK, stupid, cliche'd, unoriginal, and even cheesy to a fault, but is the gameplay really bottom of the barrel?
FrumpleOrz wrote:Either way, it's a message board. It's not a life or death situation like high school lunch room seating, so I say we all just relax and enjoy hating Plumbers Don't Wear Ties together.
Oh I know all about that. :lol:
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO