Ok...Time to Wipe!

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Ok...Time to Wipe!

Post by elitegamer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:51 am

I know I've only been around for a short while, but in a way I feel responsible exuding some melancholy within this beautiful forum. For this I digress and apologize... :cry: My sincerest apologies 3DO Zone. Kinda wish I could reintroduce myself... But enough with that and on to the subject of "my" thread! :roll:

What are some of the grander features of the 3do that has brought us all together? Everything can't be that bad, right?

One of the reasons I love 3do is because it offered and still offers a bit of technological advancement from the 8-bit era. While at the same time presenting some of the finer simpler qualities that gave us all (...maybe some) our first taste of the sprite.

Aaahhh...such a refreshing taste.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 am

Self flagellation is so unattractive.

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:40 pm

If that's how you took it! I was just striving to figure out why you guys like 3do so much, time is set aside for this whole forum. Personally I don't know any retro gamers, except this one guy who's always at the places i go to get games. I call him nemesis cause he got his hands on bubble bobble fir the new. Later when i introduce myself, he said he remembered that day cause he paid like $3 for it. He's a collector/ eBay seller, but that's neither here or their so..

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:23 pm

We like 3DO because it's cool and nobody else does. Anti-establishment, man! You see, it's the man, yeah, like Nintendo, always trying to get us down. Yeah, with their bugs and weird microwaves that they put in the Wii systems so they can read our minds! Look at the Wiimote, they are teaching us how to move everything to sticks and it'd all because of Penis Envy! Yeah, so when I play my 3DO, I am giving Nintendo the finger, right in the Butt! Do you know what it's like to have to play a Wii with a Aluminum Foil hat on to keep them out??? :roll:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:03 am

T2KFreeker wrote:We like 3DO because it's cool and nobody else does. Anti-establishment, man! You see, it's the man, yeah, like Nintendo, always trying to get us down. Yeah, with their bugs and weird microwaves that they put in the Wii systems so they can read our minds! Look at the Wiimote, they are teaching us how to move everything to sticks and it'd all because of Penis Envy! Yeah, so when I play my 3DO, I am giving Nintendo the finger, right in the Butt! Do you know what it's like to have to play a Wii with a Aluminum Foil hat on to keep them out??? :roll:
Fess up T2K ... how drunk were you when you posted this? :P
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:41 am

:lol: Oh my god Freeker, have you been taking you medication? HAHAHA!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:53 am

Just thought I would post something that made as much sense. :P

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:55 am

Ah, I got confused reading it also.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:04 am

3DO Experience wrote:Ah, I got confused reading it also.
Not the first time this happened with him. I got confused too with his first username.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Ok...Time to Wipe!

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:23 am

Library. This must be split into three categories: Exclusives, Games that are best on the 3DO, and games that might not be the best on the system but just the fact that you're playing them on the 3DO and that it's a unique version make it awesome. Let's count them off, shall we?

Exclusives: This might be the easiest. Lucienne's Quest, Road Rash, Escape from Monster Manor, Star Control II (Not counting PC really here) Sailor Moon, Killing Time (It's a different game on the PC) Super Wing Commander, Demolition Man, Crayon Shin-Chan, and Furopon the Space Mutant are all amazing games, ONLY on the 3DO.

Superior: Obviously the 3DO version usually compares better to the Super NES and Sega CD counterparts, but this also takes into account all later systems. Puzzle Bobble, (The best port of the original game, emulation on the newer consoles doesn't cut it) Wolfenstein 3D, (I kind of like this port more than the PC original, but both are great in different ways I guess) Out of this World/Another World, (Not including the unofficial Dreamcast port) Need for Speed, (The BEST version.)

Lemmings, Gex, D, Doom, (Yeah, I SAID it. Bite me) PO'ed, Wing Commander III, Myst, Alone in the Dark, Strahl, (Obviously better than the Sega CD version. Putting it here on account of the Saturn version) Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

Phew. That about covers the main reasons to own a 3DO, but delving into the more obscure and more crappy can reap rewards I guess.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:43 am

I asked a simple question... What brought you guys here. I didn't want to handle this forum as a chat, but since you all think you've got the nack,position, authority or swag so be it. As far as the accusations Tk you should cool it man. This is what I was talking about in the first place. Some of you are really uppity! Without justification.

I personally could careless what anyone has to say about me. In fact keep'em coming if it makes u feel better about yourself.

My collection is bigger then yours anyway! Figure that out...

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:55 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Lucienne's Quest; Road Rash; Star Control II (Not counting PC really here) Furopon the Space Mutant; are all amazing games, ONLY on the 3DO.
Lucienne's Quest is available on the Saturn in Japan (Sword & Sorcery). Road Rash is available on a bunch of other systems (PlayStation, Saturn and PC for the "bigger" looking renditions). Star Control II is available on the PC (yes, it counts, especially now that you can download it for free it run it on any machine these days). Flopon the Space Mutant is available on the PS1 in Japan.
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Superior: Puzzle Bobble, (The best port of the original game, emulation on the newer consoles doesn't cut it)
Incorrect. The Neo-Geo CD got the best port.
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Wolfenstein 3D, (I kind of like this port more than the PC original, but both are great in different ways I guess)
This is debatable, but I'm sure most of us would lean towards this one even with the Jag version brought up. The only thing the 3DO version has on the Mac version however (developed by the same team) is the soundtrack.
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Out of this World/Another World, (Not including the unofficial Dreamcast port)
I'll give that one to you. There's a new high-res version for the PC though which I hear is pretty nice.
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Doom, (Yeah, I SAID it. Bite me)
You, young one, will eventually understand the err of your ways. :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:05 am

I never count pc releases when counting console exclusives ... it's just not the same imho.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 am

Bah, whatever. I'll let the Star Control II quote slide then, ha. I still stand by the others though.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:12 am

Star Control II is available on the PC (yes, it counts, especially now that you can download it for free it run it on any machine these days)
Couldn't the same be said of all games with emulators then? Not to mention that The Ur-Quan Masters is pretty different from the old 3DO version too. Some things better, some things worse, but definitely not the same.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 am

Hmmm ... how about LQ? An import in another language isn't really comprable ... at least in the case of rpgs.

You'll let all the quotes slide by the time I'm done, bwha ha ha! :P

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 am

It's perfectly valid for someone who speaks Japanese, right? Who am I to discriminate? :lol:

I just like that, if information is going to be thrown out anyway, that it should be accurate, that's all. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:42 am

There are a lot more 3DO exclusives that I would say are in the good to great categories. A few off the top of my head ...

Cpu Bach
Crash n Burn
Guardian War
Foes of Ali
Shockwave 2
Snow Job
Twisted
Zhadnost

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:47 am

What the hell is CPU Bach anyway? I've read it's not much of a game?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:52 am

Austin wrote:What the hell is CPU Bach anyway? I've read it's not much of a game?
Not really a game at all. It is great though! :D It actually might be a top ten pick for me, I hold it in that high regard.

It is pretty much a music generator that churns out tunes in the style of Bach. You can have as much or little control as you want, picking the type of instruments, style, etc ... It also has a few different graphic options as you play, from a computer generated Bach conducting, to a slide show that I swear must have a million pictures!

The music is awesome too!

Now that you've read my lousy description, go and get yourself a copy asap! :wink:

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:55 am

Ah, that actually sounds pretty cool. I was under the impression that you just watch and listen to pre-determined music played back. But if you can have control over what's going on, that's neat. I'll check it out if I can ever find one cheap (seems to be relatively uncommon from what I can tell?).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:02 am

Yeah I'd say CPU Bach is uncommon, although 3DO stuff has fluctuated so much in recent years its hard to say for certain. Scoring a complete copy will probably be tough, which is a shame as (I think) the booklet has a nice write up on Bach & comments from Sid Meier.

But yeah, the game certainly gives you a good amount of control for a program like this ... its not limited like Digital Dreamware or something. I've actually never really tapped and taken full advantage of the ways to tweak the program, as I usually just end up watching the slide show & listening to the randomly generated numbers which are really quite good.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:34 am

So many threads with an mention or appent to make a list of 3DO exclusives. Maybe we should have a sticky? Threads being derailed is so common here...

Ok one of the features that drew me to the 3DO was actually nothing to do with games. It was the graphic display(s) when you play a CD. At the time the JAG CD wasn't out yet (or at least I hadn't seen it) so having the moving 3DO Logo "field"bouncing around was really cool and made me want the system all the more.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 am

Austin wrote:
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Lucienne's Quest; Road Rash; Star Control II (Not counting PC really here) Furopon the Space Mutant; are all amazing games, ONLY on the 3DO.
Lucienne's Quest is available on the Saturn in Japan (Sword & Sorcery). Road Rash is available on a bunch of other systems (PlayStation, Saturn and PC for the "bigger" looking renditions). Star Control II is available on the PC (yes, it counts, especially now that you can download it for free it run it on any machine these days). Flopon the Space Mutant is available on the PS1 in Japan.
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Superior: Puzzle Bobble, (The best port of the original game, emulation on the newer consoles doesn't cut it)
Incorrect. The Neo-Geo CD got the best port.
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Wolfenstein 3D, (I kind of like this port more than the PC original, but both are great in different ways I guess)
This is debatable, but I'm sure most of us would lean towards this one even with the Jag version brought up. The only thing the 3DO version has on the Mac version however (developed by the same team) is the soundtrack.
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Out of this World/Another World, (Not including the unofficial Dreamcast port)
I'll give that one to you. There's a new high-res version for the PC though which I hear is pretty nice.
ArfredHitchcacku wrote:Doom, (Yeah, I SAID it. Bite me)
You, young one, will eventually understand the err of your ways. :lol:
Look, I'm not a hardcore expert...I decided to not count the PC version and to look at console exclusives, Flopon the Space Mutant on the PSX is one of the single most obscure games ever made, I really don't see how the Neo Geo CD port could be better, I have the Mac Wolfenstein, I have Out of this World 15th Anniversary on Windows, and I don't see myself stopping having fun with Doom on the 3DO.

I know I shouldn't be typing this. It will only lead into an argument about whether Flopon the Space Mutant on the PSX is really all that obscure or not. I only wish I could jump on these posts earlier instead of being fashionably late in the middle of a separate conversation.
BAD

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:53 am

3DO Experience wrote:Threads being derailed is so common here...
True, but thats the least of the forums problems recently ... I'm more concerned about trolls myself ...

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:54 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote: Look, I'm not a hardcore expert...I decided to not count the PC version and to look at console exclusives, Flopon the Space Mutant on the PSX is one of the single most obscure games ever made, I really don't see how the Neo Geo CD port could be better, I have the Mac Wolfenstein, I have Out of this World 15th Anniversary on Windows, and I don't see myself stopping having fun with Doom on the 3DO.

I know I shouldn't be typing this. It will only lead into an argument about whether Flopon the Space Mutant on the PSX is really all that obscure or not. I only wish I could jump on these posts earlier instead of being fashionably late in the middle of a separate conversation.
Damn kid, calm down!

Flopon--Yeah, the word is that it's obscure on the PS1. Then again, a lot of games are, heh. Even the 3DO version (the original Japanese version, not the sequel that we got, "Trip'd"), is probably pretty obscure to most US gamers.

Bust-A-Move--The Neo-Geo CD version is identical to the arcade game (for obvious reasons--it uses the same hardware). The 3DO version has a stuttering framerate in comparison. 'Nuff said.

Just to get things straight, all I am saying is about getting the information right. It's OK if you don't know it. But if you do know it, it's best to toss it out there if you are going to make bold statements.

You're a kid though, so I'll let it slide. :D
Last edited by Austin on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 am

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:09 am

All right, I'll finally post something that's related to the thread:

I got interested in the 3DO just because it was available to me at a very specific time. It was a system I didn't have, and I really had no idea what the thing was like. I don't even know if I saw screens of any games before I got it.

Anyway.. I was 14 or 15 at the time, '96 or '97. My mom was (and still is, I guess) a school bus driver. My younger brother would ride with her on certain afternoons of the week. He would talk to various kids on the bus, and one day he got into a conversation with one that was trying to sell his Goldstar 3DO. He was asking something along the lines of $45 or $50 for it, boxed and all, with several games (Bladeforce, Shockwave, Super Street Fighter, and Gex). My brother got the kid's contact information, I called him that night, and he was willing to sell it to me. I had to beg my dad to let me take money out of savings to get it, but I did, and I gave the money to my mom. She came home with the boxed Goldstar that next week. Sweet!

I already had a Saturn (and possibly Jag) at the time, but I was still impressed by it though. Bladeforce, Street Fighter, and Gex all seemed awesome at the time. From there, I kept buying games (it was a good time actually, as most were just a few bucks a piece CIB).

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:56 pm

Austin wrote:
ArfredHitchcacku wrote: Look, I'm not a hardcore expert...I decided to not count the PC version and to look at console exclusives, Flopon the Space Mutant on the PSX is one of the single most obscure games ever made, I really don't see how the Neo Geo CD port could be better, I have the Mac Wolfenstein, I have Out of this World 15th Anniversary on Windows, and I don't see myself stopping having fun with Doom on the 3DO.

Damn kid, calm down!

Flopon--Yeah, the word is that it's obscure on the PS1. Then again, a lot of games are, heh. Even the 3DO version (the original Japanese version, not the sequel that we got, "Trip'd"), is probably pretty obscure to most US gamers.

Bust-A-Move--The Neo-Geo CD version is identical to the arcade game (for obvious reasons--it uses the same hardware). The 3DO version has a stuttering framerate in comparison. 'Nuff said.

Just to get things straight, all I am saying is about getting the information right. It's OK if you don't know it. But if you do know it, it's best to toss it out there if you are going to make bold statements.

You're a kid though, so I'll let it slide. :D
Didn't mean to come across as angry, I wasn't. I'm usually actually good about not talking about things I'm not 100 sure about. Bottom line, the 3DO has plenty of games that make the system worth buying. And for your information, as a fifteen year old I CONSIDER myself AN ADULT. TAKE THAT BACK, you stupid adult 3DO FANBOY. U JELLY THAT I HAVE A SUPER NINTENDO? U MAD BRO?
BAD

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:12 am

Riiiiggght. :lol: