Quarantine...

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Quarantine...

Post by FrumpleOrz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 am

I remember loving this game as a kid, so I threw in my copy this afternoon to give it another shot after a long while and I for the life of me can't figure out if there is an end goal in the game or not. Is it just a really early sandbox game to get fares, buy weapons and blow everything up? I don't think I ever made it too far as a kid but distinctly remember doing drive bys in it. Is that the entire point?

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Quarantine...

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:37 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:I remember loving this game as a kid, so I threw in my copy this afternoon to give it another shot after a long while and I for the life of me can't figure out if there is an end goal in the game or not. Is it just a really early sandbox game to get fares, buy weapons and blow everything up? I don't think I ever made it too far as a kid but distinctly remember doing drive bys in it. Is that the entire point?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op-dQ_L0hmA

Apparently there is. I have the complete boxed game, but never really got into it, at least not yet.

I was actually going to say it was all about the High Score like, dare I say, Crazy Taxi. But nope, turns out there doesn't seem to be any High Score System, and there's an ending...
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:56 am

Nuts! Guess I'll keep going at it and see what happens. It's a pretty neat game, I gotta say. It hasn't held up amazingly over the years but it's a really crazy reminder of what 1994 was like for video games. I'm not sure anything else represents the "NO. ADD MORE BLOOD. NO. I SAID MORE BLOOD" stuff than this game I think. I'm sure nostalgia's helping me here too.

Some of the soundtrack's pretty good too, if you dig that early 90s grungy alt rock stuff, it's cool and worth checking out.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:13 am

I beat this game in DOS, but i never on 3DO. it's one of the most under rated games we have on the 3DO. I've seen a lot of negative reviews for this game, and i just dont get it. I love everything about this game other than starting out so weak.

Since I played the DOS version way more, I don't know if there are any 3DO improvements....or weaknesses..

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 am

I've never really been able to get into this game, but its good to know its gets better as it goes. I'll have to try it again one of these days.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 am

Yet another one I want to try (saw a video of it recently and it doesn't look too bad), but the copy I had last year didn't work in my unit. I will eventually get to try this.. eventually, haha..

tinman
3DO ZERO USER

Post by tinman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:57 am

Conquered this some time ago.
The main aim is to meet up with resistance leaders and carry out tasks for them, bomb this, shoot these cars etc. If you conplete the task in the designated time you are give directions to a point which takes you out of that level.

On some levels you were given other chances if you missed out on completing the resistance task the first time. Taking more passengers around the city and collecting cab fares saw the resistance re-contact you again. Some levels the resistance seemed to give up on you altogether so I found myself having to save regularly and reload saves so I was at the criteria that saw the resistance contact you. Also buy the power-ups when you can.

I think there were about 5-6 levels in all. Ultimately your prize is freedom!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:09 pm

sneth wrote:I beat this game in DOS, but i never on 3DO. it's one of the most under rated games we have on the 3DO. I've seen a lot of negative reviews for this game, and i just dont get it. I love everything about this game other than starting out so weak.
The frame rate is the main complaint, isn't it? I've never subscribed to the belief that poor frame rate trumps all, but you do have to admit that the frame rate in the game is pretty ugly at points. Especially in the Saturn and PlayStation versions, which are inferior ports of the 3DO version.