Playing Games Wrong

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Playing Games Wrong

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Okay, so I know I can't be the only person who does this. Often times, I play games completely differently than the developers intended. This is my favorite example. When I play Theme Park, I have to resist the temptation to simply take out a massive loan and pave the entire park, save for two outhouses on the farthest back corner. Jack up the ticket prices and open up Pavement World!

I start loudly complaining that people don't understand the wonder that is Pavement World while the little host guy keeps telling me "Get in the black or you'll go under," even if I'm by myself. Is it crazy? Sure. I enjoy the hell out of it though.

Does anyone else have these crazy bouts or is it just me?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:09 am

Pavement world ... I like that. :P

Sometimes when I'm playing Need for Speed, I'll cruise along rather slowly on purpose. Instead of racing, I'll do more of a Sunday drive. I like to soak in the graphics this way, and I can really appreciate the scenery. It's fun and relaxing imo.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:19 am

heh i played The Horde so much after awhile i would make an island in the desert surrounded by water with just 1 way to get on the island, taxes sucked because people couldnt expand but i didnt care

when i got the island made i just sat back season after season watching the hordlings drown :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:53 am

Trev wrote:Sometimes when I'm playing Need for Speed, I'll cruise along rather slowly on purpose. Instead of racing, I'll do more of a Sunday drive. I like to soak in the graphics this way, and I can really appreciate the scenery. It's fun and relaxing imo.
Ha ha! I've done that too!

I was gonna tell a story about how I've played wrong but not on purpose but then I remembered this isn't in the General section.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:01 am

I was gonna tell a story about how I've played wrong but not on purpose but then I remembered this isn't in the General section.
Well now you have to tell us! You can't hold out on us like that!

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 pm

My Pop is silly. He would play Road Rash, never fight anyone and then pull over when the cops were after him because he was obeying the law? :lol:
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:47 am

Well, in Theme Park I did go nuts at some point and turn my theme parks into sullen, horrid experiences. Crank up the salt on the fries and the ice on the soda... set the roller coaster to blistering speeds that fling the people out... I'm guessing that's par for the course, though.

And I am the THIRD to admit on this thread that I have also driven the speed limit on Need For Speed just to take in the scenery. I did the same thing in Road Rash. I remember a couple times I even wiped out just so I could have my dude jog along in the countryside. I had wished the games came with a pointless sandbox mode.

I was definitely a 3D junkie. I played the hell out of the demo discs, even the one that just showcased the hardware.

And to really raise the bar on personal zaniness: I played the hell out of Life Stage: Virtual House. My house was awesome. It had a personal assistant lady too! Japanese, I think.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 am

In my days of playing Quake online, late at night if no one was around, I would simply explore each map, finding new places to get to by rocket jumping. Some of these were useful, but most were pretty useless but a lot of fun to discover (and implement into a match just for grins). Other times, I would simply run around and admire the architecture.

This goes for Quake III especially, where they introduced some awesome lighting, multi-texture effects, and curved surfaces (something new for the time, '99 or so).

Running around solo in an empty Unreal Tournament III server a couple years ago gave me that same feeling I had from admiring the playfields in Quake III. The detail in UT3 especially is quite remarkable, even today nearly four years after its release.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Playing Games Wrong

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:05 pm

On the subject of modern first person shooters, here's something stupid I like to do. You probably know that there are two kinds of first person shooters out there: Games like Doom, Quake, and Unreal that focus on movement, circle strafing and jumping and dodging around, face to face with the enemy, and games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Killzone which focus on Aiming, taking cover and momentarily popping your head out to shoot a little only to take cover again. Every so often I like to try and circle strafe and jump like a maniac in Call of Duty. Yes, I die, but dammit, it's hilarious. The 3DO first person shooter library consisted as far as I know only of games in the former category: No 3DO game even required looking up or down, the only few I can think of that had the option (PO'ed, Killing Time) offered it as a way to look around.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:50 am

Slayer has the option to look up and down, though I haven't experimented to see if it affects your aim. It seems likely that it does, since they have enemies which crawl on the ceiling and others which are very short of stature. I'll have to give it a try.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:05 am

Martin III wrote:Slayer has the option to look up and down, though I haven't experimented to see if it affects your aim. It seems likely that it does, since they have enemies which crawl on the ceiling and others which are very short of stature. I'll have to give it a try.
Let me clarify. Games that don't give you the option to look up and down by default, (Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem 3D, etc) are programmed so only the X axis matters when you shoot an opponent. For example, I could turn on the fancy up and down setting, point my gun above the enemies head, shoot them and kill them, because the game is so movement oriented that it doesn't matter where you shoot them on the Y axis. If you've played the first level of doom and killed the first imp, you know what I mean. I'm not positive that Slayer operates this way, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... 1_imps.png
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Austin wrote:Running around solo in an empty Unreal Tournament III server a couple years ago gave me that same feeling I had from admiring the playfields in Quake III. The detail in UT3 especially is quite remarkable, even today nearly four years after its release.
I enjoy the Unreal games very much and UT3 had lots to just look at.
FrumpleOrz wrote:
Well now you have to tell us! You can't hold out on us like that!
OK, I playing Soldier of Fortune (PC) and I was going through it thinking, "Gee they really make it tough". Well one day a friend is watching me play and I start at the Russian base (about halfway through the game). I'm trying to move very quietly through the snow as a sneak up on a guard. I pull out my knife with dead silence and cut his throat without anyone else hearing. My friend says "Wow, you're really good at this! You just snuck up on him!"

So I reply, "I don't have a choice. They don't give you any damn guns when you start the mission." He starts laughing at me very loudly and tells me that I can choose my weapons at the beginning of each mission. The whole time I was playing the game I thought they were just telling me what was available in the map. I felt soooooo stupid!

Needless to say the rest of the game was a breeze, plus no one wanted to play against me online... no one likes being stabbed in the neck during a shoot-out. :D
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:13 pm

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:
Martin III wrote:Slayer has the option to look up and down, though I haven't experimented to see if it affects your aim. It seems likely that it does, since they have enemies which crawl on the ceiling and others which are very short of stature. I'll have to give it a try.
Let me clarify. Games that don't give you the option to look up and down by default, (Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem 3D, etc) are programmed so only the X axis matters when you shoot an opponent. For example, I could turn on the fancy up and down setting, point my gun above the enemies head, shoot them and kill them, because the game is so movement oriented that it doesn't matter where you shoot them on the Y axis. If you've played the first level of doom and killed the first imp, you know what I mean. I'm not positive that Slayer operates this way, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.
Yeah, I understood what you meant.

I just tested it out and it turns out that aiming indeed is not affected by the ability to look up or down in Slayer. I looked up as far as I could and was still able to hit a Feyr (for those who don't know, this is an enemy which barely comes up to your knees) with fireballs from a Fire Orb, even when standing at a distance.

Oh well. In retrospect, it would have been pretty unbelievable for a 1994 game to have pulled that off.