All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

New Remakes?

Post by Jones » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 am

Alright - since the 3DO could also be considered as a "remake platform"
(Wing Commander, Out of this world, Flashback, Return Fire), I was
wondering what remakes on the 3DO would come in handy, too.

I would like to vote for 2 SNES games:
- Super Metroid
- Shadowrun

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: New Remakes?

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Jones wrote:Alright - since the 3DO could also be considered as a "remake platform"
(Wing Commander, Out of this world, Flashback, Return Fire), I was
wondering what remakes on the 3DO would come in handy, too.

I would like to vote for 2 SNES games:
- Super Metroid
- Shadowrun
Shadowrun Shadowrun Shadowrun Shadowrun. Shadowrun. I still don't understand why that amazing game was limited to the SNES, granted the SNES is amazing but you'd expect that to get a release on all the newer 32-bit systems like the 3DO, DOS, Jaguar, hell even maybe Playstation. With updated visuals and CD-Quality audio, it might have been even better than the SNES version and would be an absolutely perfect fit in the 3DO library right alongside Syndicate, Star Control II, Wing Commander III, and more amazing tactical PC-Style games.

But Super Metroid? I don't mean to throw out extreme examples here, but that's kind of like suggesting Link to the Past or Super Mario World on the 3DO. It's Nintendo. It would just be...Weird on the 3DO and I honestly don't see a way to make Super Metroid better. The graphics and music didn't leave room for improvement and neither did the gameplay. Maybe someone could say the same for Shadowrun but suggesting Metroid on the 3DO is like suggesting Sonic on the SNES.

Still, a great topic and I'd like to think of other Genesis and SNES games that would have been well-suited to the 3DO.
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:25 pm

:-)
Well, mate, concerning Super Metroid I was thinking of an orchestral
soundtrack (not just midi) in Dolby Surround to make the atmosphere
even more claustrophobic (is that the way this word is spelled in English...?).
Sprites could be coloured up a bit, while leaving the environmental (the
more I read this word the more wrong it looks - environMENTAL??) graphics
untouched. Would be too much work to redo them anyway. Basically the
other way round compared to Out of this World, where only the environment
was recoloured and the sprites were left untouched.
The graphical effects like transperancy, rain and floating water could kick in
more just by the hardware effects given by the 3DO's graphic-chipset.

Compared to what people done to "Turrican" as fan-artwork, this could
even be just a "finger-exercise". But who would do the coding...? :-/

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:23 am

Since you went Nintendo how about a portable remake... Link's Awakening. I really love this game and would love a console version. Another RPG would but good for the 3DO.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Two NES games to suggest:

Destiny of an Emperor - I'm sure paintings must exist of at least some of the generals in this game. These could be digitized, touched up a little so that they look alive, and there you have some nice realistic-looking portraits. For battles, instead of the crude sprites on a black background, you could have a full screen 2D battlefield with detailed renderings of the characters engaging in simulated battle. Oh, and naturally there should be CG stills at all the major story points, instead of just the beginning.

Platoon - I don't care what anyone says; aside from level 3 being too easy and level 4 being too hard, this is a great game! And the 3DO could definitely do a better job handling the differing levels of light in level 3, giving that section the challenge it was supposed to have. Levels 2 and 3 would really benefit from the 3DO's light gun, too; the original game isn't compatible with one, and the NES Zapper isn't precise enough to do those levels justice anyway.

And also:

Super Hydlide - I know this game is itself a remake, but they didn't do it right the second time either, so it would be up to the 3DO to save the day. Clean up those graphics (seriously, who puked up that mess?) and fix the balance so that, for instance, the final boss isn't so impossible (or at least provide a better hint that a specific weapon is needed for the killing blow), and then you'll have one damn good Action RPG.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:10 pm

There was actually a Shadowrun for the megadrive as well, but its aparently a different type of rpg.. So in a way it wasnt exclusive to the snes, but in another it was, hehe.

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:44 pm

grimm wrote:There was actually a Shadowrun for the megadrive as well, but its aparently a different type of rpg.. So in a way it wasnt exclusive to the snes, but in another it was, hehe.
There was also a Japanese-only Mega CD version, wasn't there?

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Shadowrun catched me big time.
Great music - even the SNES Midi sounded pretty handsome already!
The graphics might have been good at it's time, but from these days
perspective there's a lot of room for improvement. The isometric
environment and especially the sprites could do much better.
(Without being 3D models!)

But very first: the cutscenes looked even back then a little bit silly already.
I remember the picture of Jake's profile view in the elevator. That's
definitely *NOT* how a bad guy looks like. Actually it's rather more like
the other Jake, from "Two and a half men", wearing sunglasses and uncle Charlie's leather coat.

vampyre mike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by vampyre mike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:09 pm

I love all versions of Shadowrun, Genesis was great and Snes was so different but very atmospheric. I even play the Xbox 360 one a ton with friends even though the game is just a strange magic/FPS hybrid shooter. Definetly my favorite FPS on the console.

I recently uploaded a video of the Sega/Mega CD import version of Shadowrun which was the last released game in Japan on the Mega CD. Check it out, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHDjQpcxbkM

Sadly the game looks like a great Snatcher-esque title with tons of text, so since I only speak/read English it was totally lost on me. But I did enjoy the minor fighting sequence and the graphics.

They are also currently running a new Shadowrun Returns project on Kickstarter where they are taking donations for a new pc game that will be free if you donate, kind of interesting to say the least! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161 ... un-returns