Exclusive or not?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Exclusive or not?

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:42 am

Console exclusives were probably of peak importance during 3DO's life cycle. W/so many choices on the market, the question was often raised ...

'What games do console X have that console y doesn't?

It got me thinking about some of the 3DO games that either were ports, or later ported to other systems. I think that some multi-platform games could still be considered exclusives.

Now I don't mean games like Flashback or OOTW for example. New cinemas and improved graphics are both nice, but they don't alter the game play. FB is still FB regardless of if it's on the Genesis, the Jag, the 3DO, etc...

But here are a few games I'd consider 3DO exclusive that many might not ...

John Madden Football - Find any version of Madden that looks or plays like the 3DO build. Can't be done as this game was built specifically for the 3DO hardware. The only other '94 versions of the game for Gen & SNES share the name, but little else. John Madden 3DO is a console exclusive!

Need for Speed - PS & Saturn ports are radically altered. Speed increase is far too much taking away the great sim feeling and replacing it w/common arcade style. Crappy rock music is added, drowning out the unique individual sound effects, and lapped tracks are added that that don't fit in w/the games original lengthy courses. X man is taken away. The 3DO version plays so different, that it is a console exclusive!

PGA Tour '96 - 3 courses in the 3DO version compared to 2 for the psx. That is 1/3rd of the game! And how many golf games only offer one course to begin with? (Pebble Beach, World cup golf) Exclusive course = exclusive game!

Only 3 examples (all from EA coincidently) but there are more I think. IMHO

Thoughts?

DMJC
3DO ZERO USER

Post by DMJC » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:07 am

Wing Commander 3, I heard the other console ports weren't anywhere near as good and it was made specifically for the 3do.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:08 pm

DMJC wrote:Wing Commander 3, I heard the other console ports weren't anywhere near as good and it was made specifically for the 3do.

Very
true, but the gameplay structure was unchanged ... as far as I remeber at least.

If the psx port was a straight from the pc conversion though than I might be more inclined to agree w/you, as the 3DO version has a # of game play changes in challenge & mission structure.

I sold my psx copy years ago, so maybe someone else can confirm if it is based on the pc or 3DO build?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Ghost Hunter Series?
Dr Hauzer.
Taikastu rooms.
Crash 'n burn.

There were a lot of timed exclusive. Total Eclipse, Killing Time,

Super Wing Commander? Was that an exclusive?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:13 pm

SWC could count as a exclusive ... markedly different from other console versions. I'd say no for Total Eclipse (mild graphical changes only) I don`t think any of the other games you mentioned appeared outside of 3do ... unless you are counting pc.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:25 am

I would say your choices are good ones. Very different versions of games of the same name. Here are the A's & B's from my list that are 3DO exclusives.

20th Century Video Almanac
3D Atlas
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (JAP)
Armageddon (Kr)
AutoBahn Tokio (JAP)
Battle Pinball (JAP)
Belzerion (JAP)
Blade Force
Blonde Justice
Book of Life and Death, The Competition (Rough Translation) (JAP) ???
Burning Soldier

Now The Book of Life and Death I put in because I don't know it's Japanese name so I can't looks it up and I've never seen it for any other console.
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:33 am

The Animals did see a release on the Sega cd, no?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:37 am

Image You were right! It's good to have people who double check these things for you. I guess I'm getting rusty... I removed it from the list.

Madroms

Post by Madroms » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:19 pm

3DO Experience wrote: Now The Book of Life and Death I put in because I don't know it's Japanese name so I can't looks it up and I've never seen it for any other console.
Real japanese name: Igo Time Trial ~Shikatsu Dai Hyakka~

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:16 am

Son of a.... I just looked and you are right! They are the same game.
Poo! Now I have to remove one title from my list. :(

DMJC
3DO ZERO USER

Post by DMJC » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:04 pm

Super Wing Commander had a macintosh port. No other consoles got the game though. It's a remake if wing commander 1 with some extra missions and full speech as well as new artwork. The art for it was lifted out of wing commander privateer and wing commander armada. As well as some art planned for wing commander 2 addon pack 3 which was cancelled and turned into wing commander 3. It also has some unique art.

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CRV » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Burning Soldier came out for PC. It was published in Japan in 1998 by Itochu.

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Exclusive or not?

Post by Silanda » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Trev wrote:PGA Tour '96 - 3 courses in the 3DO version compared to 2 for the psx. That is 1/3rd of the game! And how many golf games only offer one course to begin with? (Pebble Beach, World cup golf) Exclusive course = exclusive game!
Resurrection! I was just reading through this old post and I thought I'd make a slight correction. PGA 96 wasn't really an exclusive on the 3DO for one very good reason: It wasn't really PGA 96, it was a port of the PC game PGA 486. I haven't seen this mentioned before but the courses, players, graphics, UI, sounds, etc, are all from PGA 486. It's kind of strange really and it makes me wonder if it had originally been intended for an earlier release.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Silanda wrote:
Trev wrote:PGA Tour '96 - 3 courses in the 3DO version compared to 2 for the psx. That is 1/3rd of the game! And how many golf games only offer one course to begin with? (Pebble Beach, World cup golf) Exclusive course = exclusive game!
Resurrection! I was just reading through this old post and I thought I'd make a slight correction. PGA 96 wasn't really an exclusive on the 3DO for one very good reason: It wasn't really PGA 96, it was a port of the PC game PGA 486. I haven't seen this mentioned before but the courses, players, graphics, UI, sounds, etc, are all from PGA 486. It's kind of strange really and it makes me wonder if it had originally been intended for an earlier release.
Well, EA had been trying to get a PGA game on the 3DO for a long time (heck, they were advertising a version prior to the machine's launch in 1993!) In this case though, I'd still consider it exclusive since were talking console exlusives.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:58 pm

Yeah, I have to agree. There is a degree of separation between the PC world and the world of console gaming. Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller came out for PC and 3DO but it's still a 3DO exclusive.

It is great to see people digging through older topics.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:10 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Yeah, I have to agree. There is a degree of separation between the PC world and the world of console gaming. Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller came out for PC and 3DO but it's still a 3DO exclusive.
Enhanced on 3DO too, w/much larger dialogue portraits.
3DO Experience wrote: It is great to see people digging through older topics.
I agree, it's nice to see some older threads get bumped especialy during quieter spells like this.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:19 am

Kind of off topic but apparently all versions of Road Rash were ported from the 3DO version.
When Road Rash debuted on the 32-bit home game consoles, they were initially ported from the 3DO version of the game. All of these games were called "Road Rash", despite being 4th in the series. Derivative works were re-engineered up for Microsoft Windows and Nintendo 64 platforms or reengineered down to Sega Mega-CD and the handheld consoles.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 am

If we can get a good list going it might become a sticky.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:51 am

3DO Experience wrote:Image
If we can get a good list going it might become a sticky.
:D

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:45 am

It's very tough to begin with why I purchased a 3DO, but completely exclusive games weren't quite the reason. First of all, there's games that play superior on 3DO, versions that are harder to get/not in English (Lucinne's Quest Sega Saturn, Furopon the Space Mutant PSX), games that are unique versus PC or other console counterparts that are worth playing for differences, (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Wing Commander III, Star Control II) and there's just something about the 3DO. Maybe someone could explain it better than I could, but even though you can get Super Street Fighter II Turbo on the Sega Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox, something about playing that game, and obviously many, many others, just feels special on the system. Throw in an awesome Boot Screen, Music Player, controller, console design, and boxes, and you have one hell of a purchase for old game enthusiasts.

Also, the CD burning doesn't hurt either. I both buy and burn, but if you're not a very, very serious collector, why spend over 100 dollars on Lucienne's Quest, one of the most unappreciated RPGs of all time, when you could burn it?
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:11 am

You should speak softly when talking of doing such things.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:38 am

Let's bump this bad boy with a title I feel is worthy of inclusion:

FIFA International Soccer

Ironically, I don't particularly like Football (I don't hate it either, btw) but I remember when I got my original (2nd hand) 3DO prior to the PS1 releasing... my 3DO came with the aforementioned PGA 96 and also FIFA International Soccer.

I never really played it tbh, but I did watch the intro a good few times, some attract demo gameplay and, of course, 'tried' to play it (in a fashion) myself.

Anyway...

What I noticed was that, eventually, as a lot of my mates ARE into Football, when FIFA 96 made it's first FIFA debut on the PS1, that certain elements like the intro and Virtua Stadium from the 3DO version (essentially, FIFA 94 - 2 years earlier) were used in FIFA 96. I can't really comment on the in game gameplay or gfx etc, but I certainly remember that aspect.

I've done some homework this evening and was initially disappointed to see the MegaCD got a version of FIFA International. However, after watching a video or two - thus far, vs the other versions available, I'm fairly certain that the 3DO release of this game was the best console version AND a console exclusive version based on how advanced it was vs fellow 16-bit versions... as it actually used 3D 'Virtual Stadiums' as opposed to 2D isometric gfx. Players, however, were still 2D renditions at this point though...

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:46 pm

This thread is discussing CONSOLE exclusives.

Thus PC, MAC etc aren't really part of the discussion, comparatively speaking :P

CRV
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CRV » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:52 pm

NeoGeoNinja wrote:This thread is discussing CONSOLE exclusives.

Thus PC, MAC etc aren't really part of the discussion, comparatively speaking :P
I understand, but I wanted it on the record.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:40 pm

It's kind of surprising, too, that Belzerion wasn't strictly a console game.

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silanda » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:27 am

This is new to me but I always thought that Iron Angel of the Apocalypse: The Return (Tetsujin 2) was 3DO exclusive. Turns out I was wrong, it had a Windows port. It's not bad either: the graphics demonstrate Synergy's lack of technical flair (the graphics are bordered inside a letterbox) but the sound's pretty good and it plays the same as the 3DO version. It won't work on a Windows NT based OS, but that's what Dosbox is for.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:34 am

So following OP rules it is a 3DO exclusive.

Silanda
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Silanda » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 am

3DO Experience wrote:So following OP rules it is a 3DO exclusive.
Following OP rules yes, but personally I don't believe that they jibe with my experience as a gamer at the time at all. I was at school at the time and virtually everyone I knew owned or at least had access to a PC as well as a console. Console exclusives vs PC were important in choosing which console to buy/ask for for christmas. Ignoring contemporary PC versions (i.e. not ones that came out 2+ years later) unjustly flatters the 3DO. In 1990 you could argue that the PC gaming landscape was a separate entity to gaming in general, but by 1995 it really wasn't.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:00 am

I like the way this list of Saturn exclusives does things:

ARC - Arcade port (Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2)
CC - Classic collection that consists of either original or slightly reworked versions of older games (Sega Ages Vol.1, Phantasy Star Collection)
PC - Game had a PC release, which makes the Saturn version a console exclusive (Panzer Dragoon, Bug!)
RR - The game or its arcade counterpart was later re-released (Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun)

And then breaking things down by region.

Some of these categories are only minimally applicable to the 3DO. But having a nuanced concept of "exclusivity" can only be helpful, really.