Philips CDI who else has one

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Philips CDI who else has one

Post by prabmire » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Hey all,

Just wondered who else has one, i have a 220 and i haven't played it in so long but someone recently offered to buy mine and now i'm umming and ahhing about whether or not to, any other owners on here ever sell theres?

Prab

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:43 pm

I have a Cd-i, along w/a pretty good selection of titles. The problem w/buying/selling Cd-i units, is that the nearly every one of the machines have dead timekeeper chips. Not only are these very difficult to replace, but it can render the machine unplayable for a very long time! :cry:

I'd test your Cd-i to see how it functions before you let it go. At best, the system will retain save info. Less desirable, the system will lose everything upon reset but still play. Worse case scenario, the system will lock up at the title screen, prompting you to delete files which don't exist, and you won't be able to run any software! I realize I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, since you are a member of the Cd-i forum, but figured I'd repeat it anyway.

I really like my Cd-i, but this design flaw is disastrous! :evil:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:56 pm

I was going to say "I have one!", but actually, I have two! :lol:

I've received a couple of games recently, so I might have to hook up the one with a DVC again.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Austin wrote: I've received a couple of games recently, so I might have to hook up the one with a DVC again.
Anything good?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 pm

i had one, but sold it off when i downsized.

there are a handful of worthwhile titles....and that's pushing it.

The Apprentice is where it's at. Hands down the only reason to own a CDI.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 pm

sneth wrote: The Apprentice is where it's at. Hands down the only reason to own a CDI.
and the easier version of Defender of the Crown, compaired to the much harder NES version

my 220 and LG700 systems still work but my portable system died in 2008ish
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Trev wrote:
Austin wrote: I've received a couple of games recently, so I might have to hook up the one with a DVC again.
Anything good?
Pyramid Adventures and Zenith. Not sure if the first one is good, but I sometimes hear the CD-i community talking about it. Zenith should be pretty sweet though, I've seen a couple of videos on that and it looks nice.

Would have had the Apprentice coming, but some jack-asses keep outbidding me on them (I lost two of them in the last month or so. Blah.).

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Post by prabmire » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:35 pm

I may end up keeping this, but still not sure, the CD deck on my seperates has died and as they are next to my TV, i figured the CDi could act as a cd player (even though i mainly run mp3s) lol

Still i'll see how i feel after i've spent the weekend playing through some games, if i still feel like selling its going on monday!

Prab

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:22 pm

I have the HEAVY CDI 910. But I did want the first model so it's my own fault.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:08 pm

1. What is a timekeeper chip? A battery back-uped clock chip?

2. I never played any CD-i game, only heard awful stories about
them. Please name 3 games that are *really* good and show
the system's capabilities!

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Post by prabmire » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:07 pm

Burn Cycle
The Apprentice
Voyeur

Despite this I may get rid of the 220, and possibly grab a smaller 450 at some point in the future, after all i just spent money i don't have buying back my small 3do collection haha

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Jones wrote:1. What is a timekeeper chip? A battery back-uped clock chip?

2. I never played any CD-i game, only heard awful stories about
them. Please name 3 games that are *really* good and show
the system's capabilities!
Yes, that's basically what the timekeeper is. The problem is, in all units but one or two, the battery is irremovable without damaging the system (unless you are really, really good). When the timekeeper goes, you lose your save data when the system is powered off, and your console may start acting weird. Sometimes your games won't read, sometimes it will take you upon power-up to a "not enough data to save" screen, asking you to delete files even though there are none, along with other strange things as well.

One of the portable units, if I remember correctly, has a normal lithium battery that you can swap out. These are the ideal systems to get if you don't want to worry about this.

As far as three games that are worth owning and show what the system is capable of: The 7th Guest (requires DVC cart), The Apprentice, Burn:Cycle. You should be able to find YouTube videos of each of those. Another good one I mentioned above is Zenith. There's also a video of that available, which is probably the most impressive game.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:38 am

Secret Mission is my favorite Cd-i game, and (not counting the pc) it is exclusive to the sytem. :)

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Post by prabmire » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:23 pm

Just sold my cdi220, going to pick up a 450 with DV cartridge and some games for half of what i sold my CDi 220 for, result :)

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:16 am

Nice deal there. Having the DVC will prove nice. Some of the CD-i's best games require it.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:45 am

I have a 220 , a 470 and a 450.

The 470 with proper control pad is a very nice and compact set up
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG