Super Street Fighter II Turbo

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Jose015
3DO ZERO USER

Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Post by Jose015 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:57 pm

I have owned my 3DO for a few months now. I just bought Street Fighter and find the controller very inadequate. Any suggestions for a better controller for a fighter? Also, is there a complete list of controllers for the system?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu May 03, 2012 9:07 pm

This thread talks a lot about various controllers: http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2120

I'd probably recommend the Capcom Fighting Pad Soldier, but they are kind of rare.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Post by Trev » Fri May 04, 2012 4:38 am

Jose015 wrote:I have owned my 3DO for a few months now. I just bought Street Fighter and find the controller very inadequate. Any suggestions for a better controller for a fighter? Also, is there a complete list of controllers for the system?
Which controller are you currently using? There are quite a few good ones out there imo. Austin's suggestion is good, and the Panasonic joystick is hard to top.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Jose015
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jose015 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Hah I feel pretty dumb not noticing the thread on controllers but in my defense I had already downed a few beers and was feeling pretty good :) That Capcom Fighting Pad Soldier looks very interesting and I would love to get my hands on that someday. A quick search on ebay came up with nothing though. Trev, I'm using the standard controller that came with my FZ-1. It looks to me that the Panasonic joystick will be my best option. I see ebay has a couple, brand new is freaking expensive!

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri May 04, 2012 9:06 pm

If you have the controller with the headphone jack, try the slightly smaller one that doesn't have that (came bundled with the FZ-10). The d-pad is reportedly better on that. You will still have to deal with the awkward button layout (at least, accessing mid-punch is awkward). Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Panaso ... 53ec13f551

Also, there is this one. Unfortunately, the buttons in Street Fighter do not map properly to the layout, and if I recall correctly, there is no way to custom-configure your controls in that game. It works perfectly with Primal Rage though! :lol: Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProPad-Pro-Pad- ... 256fed104c

Another option is the 3D Zero SNES to 3DO converter. It works well, but again you will run into problems with mapping your buttons properly in Street Fighter. Unfortunately, it looks like this site is out of stock now (I got mine for $8 there last year, then they jacked the price up, and now they are gone, probably for good). Link: http://www.gameexpress.com/product_deta ... =3d%20zero

While looking for the 3D Zero adapter, I found out about this six-button layout controller as well. Unfortunately I don't see any on eBay at the moment, and it's out of stock at this site. The P button looks to be where it should be on a six-button layout, so your buttons will map correctly in Street Fighter. Link: http://www.gameexpress.com/product_deta ... =3d%20zero

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 05, 2012 12:10 am

Ill swear by the panasonic arcade stick for 3DO-fighters any day.

Yes, you can map buttons in SSF2. Also, if you can find one, there is a 3D Zero Megadrive adaptor, where you can use the superior sega d-pads with 6 nice facebuttons. I have it and it works great.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat May 05, 2012 1:24 am

i found this arcade stick very handy playing Street Fighter :D
the one on the bottom middle is a mad catz 6 button controller

Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat May 05, 2012 9:58 am

Lemmi wrote:the one on the bottom middle is a mad catz 6 button controller
The d-pad on the mad catz is pretty good, but it is also quite sharp. Prolonged gameplay might end up hurting your thumb. At least if its the same d-pad as on the SNES version of that controller, which it should be.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat May 05, 2012 9:00 pm

grimm wrote:Yes, you can map buttons in SSF2.
Ah, ok, that's right. I think the problem I was having was that on the SNES-styled controller, one of the face buttons exited you out of the menu, so you couldn't map that button, haha. I'll have to boot it up again to verify it.

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Tue May 08, 2012 7:48 am

That's interesting about the 3D Zero SNES adapter. I have one of those and it seems to work perfectly well on SSFII. You just have to map your buttons. I just got mine a month or so ago, maybe they fixed a bug or something.

What it's not good for though is games that you cannot change the controls every which way you so desire - which can make button pushing a bit awkward in some games.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Thu May 17, 2012 3:02 am

Jose015 wrote:I have owned my 3DO for a few months now. I just bought Street Fighter and find the controller very inadequate. Any suggestions for a better controller for a fighter? Also, is there a complete list of controllers for the system?
I don't deserve my luck, the 3DO I won in a bidding site for around 50 bucks came with NOT ONLY the standard FZ-10 controller but the Capcom Fighting Controller as well. I can't reccomend it enough, a lot of people will say it's intended for your forefingers like an arcade stick but I find that using your right thumb works really well too. I actually really enjoy using the standard 3DO controller design as well, P L Punch, A M Punch, B L Kick, C M Kick, L H Kick, R H Punch, but that's just me.

A complete list of controllers for the system would be amazing. But hell, given so many obscure low budget companies there could be hundreds. I found a huge page online that lists a bunch of 3DO accessories, through here of course.

http://www.3dotoday.com/Accessories.html
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu May 17, 2012 9:35 am

Lemmi wrote:i found this arcade stick very handy playing Street Fighter :D
the one on the bottom middle is a mad catz 6 button controller

I love this picture :)

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Mon May 21, 2012 9:34 am