Return Fire... For the Saturn?!

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Return Fire... For the Saturn?!

Post by Austin » Mon May 21, 2012 3:07 am

This is news to me, but apparently Return Fire was planned for the Saturn back in the '90s! Naturally, it never came to fruition though.

I am probably late to the party on this, but it seems it's been discovered and made available to download! Has anyone by chance tried it? It will be interesting to see how this one compares to the 3DO and PlayStation versions!

http://www.sega-saturn.net/returnfire.htm

Not really 3DO related, but these guys have also discovered and released two other cancelled Saturn games--Major Damage (a Capcom side-scrolling action game), and Chelnov/Atomic Runner (a port of the arcade game by the same name).

oldskool
3DO ZERO USER

Post by oldskool » Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 am

I knew that it had been planned, but I never knew that they dug it up and released it. That's pretty cool, would check it out if my Saturn was modded.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 pm

oldskool wrote:I knew that it had been planned, but I never knew that they dug it up and released it. That's pretty cool, would check it out if my Saturn was modded.
Could always do the swap trick If you really really wanted to try it.

ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Return Fire... For the Saturn?!

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Mon May 21, 2012 10:49 pm

May I have permission to upload a Windows Sega Saturn emulator and free Disc Image Mounting Tool here? I don't think those things are illegal in of themselves and some people may want to play these games but have trouble setting up an emulator...It would include Sega Saturn BIOS images too, maybe that breaks the deal...
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 pm

You could do so without providing the BIOS images. People that want to try it out can track those down themselves. Not too difficult to find. :)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed May 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Austin wrote:This is news to me, but apparently Return Fire was planned for the Saturn back in the '90s! Naturally, it never came to fruition though.
I'm surprised you never heard of this, seeing as there was a rumor for a while that Return Fire for the Saturn was actually released. Pretty much every FAQ on the Saturn either attempts to dispel the rumor or proclaims "proof" that it's true (e.g. Someone told me they saw it in a bargain bin once).

I was pretty excited when Saturn Return Fire first became available for download. However, I didn't get around to the big-to-do of downloading it, and that excitement has waned since my 3DO came with a copy of Return Fire. After all, I can't expect the Saturn version to be dramatically better than the 3DO version; ports being what they are, it'll probably be slightly worse. Mind you, though, I find it bizarrely awesome that there are gamers dedicated enough to dig this stuff up and go through all the work of making it available for other people.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu May 24, 2012 12:23 am

ArfredHitchcacku, it's fine with me as long as you don't include the BIOS.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 am

Martin III wrote:I'm surprised you never heard of this, seeing as there was a rumor for a while that Return Fire for the Saturn was actually released.
Yep, I never knew about it. I haven't really looked into cancelled Saturn games though. The only ones I ever thought of are some of the ones I saw advertisements for in magazines back in the day, like Killing Time and Viewpoint.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 am

Austin wrote: Not really 3DO related, but these guys have also discovered and released two other cancelled Saturn games--Major Damage (a Capcom side-scrolling action game), and Chelnov/Atomic Runner (a port of the arcade game by the same name).
I've always thought Major Damage looked like a blatant Captain Quazar ripoff.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu May 24, 2012 4:09 am

Trev wrote:I've always thought Major Damage looked like a blatant Captain Quazar ripoff.
Perhaps--but the gameplay is at least different (side-scroller versus isometric 360-degree shooter).

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri May 25, 2012 11:55 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:May I have permission to upload a Windows Sega Saturn emulator and free Disc Image Mounting Tool here? I don't think those things are illegal in of themselves and some people may want to play these games but have trouble setting up an emulator...It would include Sega Saturn BIOS images too, maybe that breaks the deal...
Hello mate, my question would be an honest one, what's it got to do with 3DO?

(maybe i'm being dumb remember)